IPB iPhone App Feedback

Steve H

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my website is htt: / / www.mysite.com.forum

I want this iphone app accessible only from htt: / / www.mysite.mobi/forum

is this possible

That's really not how it works. The iPhone app is downloaded from the app store and the user enters the URL of the IP.Board install.

I just wanted to point out that spoilers don't work for the app and when you switch from landscape to normal it doesn't zoom in unless you tap a post and vise versa.

It would also be nice to have a link to your settings or profile. I tend to have look for a post of mine in order to tap my name and then tap the link that shows my posts made to find certain threads...

Is anyone having issues being automatically logged into the IPS forums through the iPhone app?

Yeah, it's a known issue. I think it's related to the FURL changes made yesterday...

This was the FURL changes, as we suspected. Matt has updated the code and this site and the issue is now fixed. :)

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I really want to keep my MacBook Pro home and only carry my iPad and iPhone for on the road.

Obviously, I have a problem with sites that use Flash, but fortunately, this omission is not important in the sites I frequent.

But, some IPB sites, I would like to attach files to posts (especially photos).

Can you make it a priority to add support for upload of files as attachments to posts?

Also, I'd like to see the iPad supported so I can use the full resolution of the screen and not just blow up an iPhone sized window. With iPad support, you might include the ability to choose which skin is used in the app for the specific forum. The default IP.Board skin works pretty good on the iPad, but I can't upload photos. On the other hand, the pages load faster for the mobile skin so I might want to stick with that in the iPad. In either case, I want to be able to upload as many files that can be made visible on the iPhone/iPad through the IPB iPhone app.

If you pointed the .mobi domain to the same hosting account, you might be able to set up an .htaccess file that automatically appends the parameter which loads the mobile skin.

But then wouldn't the single install be accessible from two different URL locations, which unless there is a second license on the account, is against the terms?

But then wouldn't the single install be accessible from two different URL locations, which unless there is a second license on the account, is against the terms?

We would not come after you for pointing duplicate domains to your single installation. It's not uncommon to buy up ".com" and ".org" for instance, and point them to the same location.

The idea behind that is to prevent one install from being used to host multiple boards using only one license. If you have five URL's using one install with one license, but it's the same site otherwise, then IPS generally doesn't care. It's when you have different domain names that affect which database gets used and other things that it starts making a difference.

I personally like the idea of specialized blog support. The main things I could see using this app for are

1) Checking in on private messages

2) Quick read through/reply of topics

3) Uploading gallery images

4) Posting blog entries

Realistically, you can link to your IP.Content pages and so on, but you would have to create mobile versions if you want them to show up different in the mobile skin.

My members are already clamoring for the content we have in our test forum's IP.Content to be available on the mobile app (particularly being able to add comments or entries to those applications that allow it), as well as the ability to upload gallery images... so, as long as we have a mobile skin for them, and it's linked to the main forum, it should be fine? Or would they just have to do normal web surfing to access those parts of the site?

My members are already clamoring for the content we have in our test forum's IP.Content to be available on the mobile app (particularly being able to add comments or entries to those applications that allow it), as well as the ability to upload gallery images... so, as long as we have a mobile skin for them, and it's linked to the main forum, it should be fine? Or would they just have to do normal web surfing to access those parts of the site?

If you have a mobile skin AND your IP.Content pages use your forum wrapper, then yes, they should inherit the mobile skin as well.

That said, you may need to add some CSS to your mobile skin CSS file to style the IP.Content pages on the mobile skin nicer.

anny help on this ??

you might find this topic useful, although it is for IPB v2.3.x I know it works (Im using it) and you could probably adapt the code to work with v3.x

http://www.invisionmodding.com/index.php?showtopic=30699&st=0

incidentally, it will maintain the .mobi extension in the address bar even though you are physically accessing the .com address.

I'm enjoying the iPhone app, but have one major complaint about it.

Admin functions.

I spend most of my time traveling and would like to have something streamlined for doing my administrative work. Will we be seeing either the ability to access the admin functions through the IPB app or (better to my way of thinking) a second app purely for board administration?

I'm enjoying the iPhone app, but have one major complaint about it.

Admin functions.

I spend most of my time traveling and would like to have something streamlined for doing my administrative work. Will we be seeing either the ability to access the admin functions through the IPB app or (better to my way of thinking) a second app purely for board administration?

What kind of admin functions, specifically, would you be interested in? Approving members? What else would you *need* to do on the road?

What kind of admin functions, specifically, would you be interested in? Approving members? What else would you *need* to do on the road?

Good question!~

At the very least, I could see the following being needed for mobile admin:

• Active Reports
  • Member Validation/Approval
  • Member Editing
  • IP Tracing
  • Admin Notes
  • Viewing Logs
  • System Offline/Online

There are other things that I would like, but these would be the ones that would be for quick and dirty moderation while on the road. Anything more severe I'm sure I could work from my computer proper.

Thanks for the question!

I'm not sure if those are really needed, instead could be shortened to:

• Active Reports
  • Member Editing
  • IP Tracing
  • Viewing Logs
I'm rarely on the go, but I love using my Ipod Touch when my girlfriend is using the laptop, I'm feeling too lazy to turn my laptop on, and/or for multitasking.

Good question!~

At the very least, I could see the following being needed for mobile admin:

• Active Reports
  • Member Editing
  • IP Tracing
  • Admin Notes
  • Viewing Logs
  • System Offline/Online

There are other things that I would like, but these would be the ones that would be for quick and dirty moderation while on the road. Anything more severe I'm sure I could work from my computer proper.

Thanks for the question!

personally, i think something like that would be better suited for a seperate application (IP.Admin maybe :lol:), things are quite tightly packed as they are with just the basic user controls, besides, the majority of users are not admin on any forums, and forum admins are admin only 1 or maybe a couple of forums. No point in providing all those tools to a very small percentage of the users. maybe approval for post, topics and so on would be fine, could just be another button like the quote button.

Just my thoughts.

personally, i think something like that would be better suited for a seperate application (IP.Admin maybe :lol:), things are quite tightly packed as they are with just the basic user controls, besides, the majority of users are not admin on any forums, and forum admins are admin only 1 or maybe a couple of forums. No point in providing all those tools to a very small percentage of the users. maybe approval for post, topics and so on would be fine, could just be another button like the quote button.

Just my thoughts.

I completely agree. Why load the main IPBoard app up with things that are going to be used by a small percentage of it's users? A second app for the admins makes the best sense.

And there were reasons for the Admin Notes and System Offline/Online. For the Admin Notes, the other admins and I do use it to leave notes for each other. As such, it makes sense to have the ability to use it when mobile as well. As for the Offline/Online, I am the main administrator for our forum. And there have been times where we have come under attack (both from trolls and other methods) where I had to turn the board off. One time I was mobile and had to walk someone through it over the phone. Having the ability to shut the board down temporarily until it can be worked on just makes good sense.

Thanks for the feedback.

Archived