IPB iPhone App Feedback

Steve H

So far so good. I'm really loving the fact that I can sign into multiple websites in the one app without having to exit to safari.

Is there any plan to allow for rotate+lock and with that the extended keyboard. My thumbs tend to mash more than one key at the same time when typing in the standard small keyboard.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

Looks okay I guess, but would love to see an iPad version.

Me too :) I use my iPad constantly.

Just the iPad works great on the normal skin so we didn't think it was worth putting a lot of effort into it just yet. But I am sure one will show up at some point.

i love it so far, did crash once on me when i was checking out the image posting (for gallery)

i selected to choose an album, and you get the little scroll wheel, nothing was listed in it though and it crashed and returned me to home screen.

its really fast though, alot faster than safari and the mobile skin :D

[size="1"](I'm an idiot)[/size]

Is this a skin that forum owners install and can be selected?

You're not an idiot, it's a good question. My guess would be that it's automatically detected or selected somehow. But that's purely a guess.

I don't see how to upload attachments (photos) when posting a topic or reply.

This would be my number 1 reason for using this app. Otherwise, I can just use Safari and the mobile skin. Maybe I missed it.

Also, when adding to the forum list, the app should verify the information is correct on save by trying to connect. I made a small typo in the url of this forum to test, and the app just hung later with a blank page when trying to connect. It took awhile for me to notice the typo...

You guys are just nuts. I'm planning on purchasing ipb at the end of the month and convert my large vb site over.

Every week I come on here and you are releasing something else again and again!

When I was browsing this site this morning on my iPhone I thought to myself being able to update statuses too would be great, and then you go and nnounce this!

You guys rock and are definetly charging forward with everything.

One small question, any blackberry ones in the works?

Also, when adding to the forum list, the app should verify the information is correct on save by trying to connect. I made a small typo in the url of this forum to test, and the app just hung later with a blank page when trying to connect. It took awhile for me to notice the typo...

Good idea, I've added this to the app :)

In the future, I'd like to see IPS offer an economical service to create a custom version of this app for a specific website (custom icon, custom configuration of forum list that would be uneditable - except for user/password) and post this custom version to the app store.

Basically, I'm suggesting a brandable app for maybe $100/year (something affordable for the average forum).

You could integrate the mobile skin even more to provide configuration details once first connected (like whether facebook or twitter integration is visible) so all you really need is the custom icon and forum title/url to create a version for the app store.

I'm assuming that eventually you will allow upload of files through the app since that it the reason many sites do a separate app rather than just have users use Mobile Safari. Of course, maybe Apple will be allowing uploads in Safari at some point in the future (they are paranoid about encouraging wrelessi sharing of licensed music).

We will also be creating an option, for a small fee, to create a private-label version of the app for anyone who wants one that can only be used on your community. Information on the private-label service will come after the app has gone through a few maintenance updates.

We have something along those lines planned KT Walrus. :) Details will be hammered out and released once the app itself has gone through a few updates.

In the future, I'd like to see IPS offer an economical service to create a custom version of this app for a specific website (custom icon, custom configuration of forum list that would be uneditable - except for user/password) and post this custom version to the app store.

That's mentioned in the last paragraph of the blog entry.

I'd be more interested personally in allowing us to create custom versions of the app for specific websites (for those of us already in the developer program).

Another possibility is that you add a "forums" directory (separate from the existing forum list) where the app comes preconfigured for all know IPB boards (so all you need to do is provide login details when choosing a forum from the directory to add to the forum list).

In this way, the forum list is like a bookmarks list and the "forums" directory could be enhanced to have categories, reviews, other info to help people find more boards to join.

If you did this, you could charge a small annual fee to a site to be listed in the app. The site could provide the configuration data from a special URL in IPB that would be queried by the app in creating the directory information, etc. The site would pay an annual fee for the listing and only have to provide IPS with the URL to retrieve configuration info.

On the other hand, you might want to require all information to IPS for review and inclusion in the directory. Allowing individual licensed sites to provide that info might open it up for abuse.

After that, you could allow users to post short reviews of individual sites like the app store only showing the reviews from within the app as users browse the directory.

Another possibility is that you add a "forums" directory (separate from the existing forum list) where the app comes preconfigured for all know IPB boards (so all you need to do is provide login details when choosing a forum from the directory to add to the forum list).

In this way, the forum list is like a bookmarks list and the "forums" directory could be enhanced to have categories, reviews, other info to help people find more boards to join.

If you did this, you could charge a small annual fee to a site to be listed in the app. The site could provide the configuration data from a special URL in IPB that would be queried by the app in creating the directory information, etc. The site would pay an annual fee for the listing and only have to provide IPS with the URL to retrieve configuration info.

On the other hand, you might want to require all information to IPS for review and inclusion in the directory. Allowing individual licensed sites to provide that info might open it up for abuse.

After that, you could allow users to post short reviews of individual sites like the app store only showing the reviews from within the app as users browse the directory.

Built in forum directory is coming soon, as mentioned in the announcement. We'll be pulling it from the Directory here, so if you want your forum in the app, make sure you add it :)

[url="

[/url]

We have something along those lines planned KT Walrus. :) Details will be hammered out and released once the app itself has gone through a few updates.

Sorry. I didn't read the whole announcement.

Anyway, individual branding is a way to go. Also, if you turn the app into one that has a browsable forum directory of registered third party sites, then I think you could get away with charging more for one that has a custom icon and restricted to a hard-coded site. Most sites would be fine with just having their site listed nicely in the app, but the big sites (with larger budgets) could afford the higher fees for a custom app.

Archived