3.1 Feedback

Razasharp

I got a 'notification' from you but it only gives me the option to turn off notifications or 'go back' which then lists the 2 notifications I've received? Am I supposed to be able to reply to it like a PM? :unsure:

It was a reply to your test status update - but you're experience is valid, because most people will find it too confusing/pita at the mo.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are my thoughts/opinions on the new notifications...

I think my input on this is a Backwards and forwards link when viewing notifications in your UCP and in the popup. Also, I think this may be a bug, the ability to click on the Notifications tab after viewing a notification so that you can see your list. ^_^

There needs to be an easier or more intuitive way to close the inline notification. Whether that's adding a "close" button like other popups, or making clicking outside the popup close it [I wouldn't mind both], there needs to be something. A first-time user won't associate "ignore this" with "make this popup go away".

There should be a way to cycle through unread notifications through the popup--if you get multiple ones on a page load, you can't see any but the latest without going to the notifications area [or have I missed something?]. Mark as read/ignore: Show the next unread notification I have; if there aren't any more, then finally close it.

YES!

Something like arrows with a notification count would be nice.
[<- Prev] 1/12 [Next ->]

Also have a "Close and mark as read" button with a separate "Mark as read" button, so you can mark a notification as read and click to another one.

Also agree with clicking the notification tab to see the list of notifications again. Would be nice to have the same prev/next functionality there as well.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of the notification pop up which becomes a little annoying after a while... I would prefer icon(s)/bar thingy as in Facebook.

I love Notifications but popup is a BIG NO NO!

Do Notifications like facebook, that would be great.

It would be nice if the popup were less intrusive, or on demand. Like the whole Facebook thing being suggested. On a busy board, getting one of these every few pages would get pretty annoying, I think.

Here's my suggestion. If you have no notifications OR if you haven't received one during the current visit, then on the next page load, you get ONE notification. If you ignore it, then until you have read any and ALL notifications (or until your session has ended), you don't receive any more notifications.

This would work inline with this other suggestion, to put another number on the user panel (drop down menu where it shows a green circle and a number if you have unread PM's). Number in the upper right means PM, button left of the profile picture means notification. Clicking the number takes you to the list of notifications, as the PM number takes you to the messenger.

Together, you get a notification popup when you get a new one (and had none to start with OR haven't received one during that session), then it leaves you the heck alone from that point on, with the number to be a reminder. Sort of like some answering machines work. If there are no messages and someone calls, it'll ring as normal. Then if someone leaves a message, it'll answer on the first ring and just give little beeps from time to time (or a flashing LED) to remind you, but other than that, it gives you a vacation.

As for the notifications themselves, a link to the content would indeed be nice. If I got a reply to a post I made, be nice to have links to the topic (first post), my post, the reply and also a button to view new content. Perhaps like a topic list view, where there is the "view new posts" icon, followed by the topic title (which is linked), with links of "View your post" and "View reply from (members name)".

For status updates, I get a notification that someone has replied to my status, but really it's a reply to a friends status. Would be nice if it were to say that (name) has replied to (name's) status.

Finally, is it really necessary to give me a notification if I'm looking at the list of notifications (or viewing one of the previous notifications)?

Here's my suggestion. If you have no notifications OR if you haven't received one during the current visit, then on the next page load, you get ONE notification. If you ignore it, then until you have read any and ALL notifications (or until your session has ended), you don't receive any more notifications.

Don't agree. Defeats the whole purpose.

Don't agree. Defeats the whole purpose.

Not really. If you get a notification (pop up) for one, then you are aware that you have at least one unread notification. An extra number at the top (ala unread PM reminder) would be a passive reminder. Then you don't get anymore popups that become annoying, especially on a busy board. You just see the reminder increasing in number.

My suggestions for the notification system:

The notification system is exciting, and I know that this is the first beta release, but I think it could be improved. Currently, the system seems to work like that for personal messages. You are taken to a list of notifications, and clicking on one opens a new page with more details. Personally, I think something more lightweight and less complex would be even better. Something similar to the way Facebook displays notifications would be nice. For example, instead of seeing a list of:

New reply to your status Today, 02:12 PM

New reply to your status Today, 11:07 AM

New reply to your status Today, 10:58 AM

And then having to click on each one to see the pertinent details on a new page for each, just list the details of the notifications:

Bartosz Misiak replied to Mike54's status | Today, 02:12 PM

iikato repled to AnthonyKinson's status | Today, 11:07 AM

You could have an AJAX button/check mark/etc. next to each notification that allows a user to mark each one as read/unread. I think that, in general, this way is simpler and gives more information at one glance without having to click into additional pages.

There also needs to be a more visible way of knowing that you have new notifications. For example, like the number that shows up over the profile picture in the user navigation when you have a new private conversation.

Love the "like Facebook" suggestions - those are unobtrusive and easy to identify. Also agree something like that is a better option than a global sidebar.

I too have been hit with a ton of popups. Those could easily become annoying to my members. I like the way face book notifies you and that would be a lot simpler if it was just placed somewhere on the profile bar like a pm message gives you a number. That would be less annoying and noticeable.

I think my input on this is a Backwards and forwards link when viewing notifications in your UCP and in the popup. Also, I think this may be a bug, the ability to click on the Notifications tab after viewing a notification so that you can see your list. ^_^

FANTASTIC FANTASTIC! I <333 it!!

I agree love the idea of back and forward keys.

There also needs to be a more visible way of knowing that you have new notifications. For example, like the number that shows up over the profile picture in the user navigation when you have a new private conversation.

This would work inline with this other suggestion, to put another number on the user panel (drop down menu where it shows a green circle and a number if you have unread PM's). Number in the upper right means PM, button left of the profile picture means notification. Clicking the number takes you to the list of notifications, as the PM number takes you to the messenger.

My suggestions for the notification system:

I know you made the same suggestion before me, but I swear I didn't see your mention of it until you made this post quoting yourself. Must be a great idea if two different people think of it.

For example, instead of seeing a list of:

New reply to your status Today, 02:12 PM

New reply to your status Today, 11:07 AM

New reply to your status Today, 10:58 AM

And then having to click on each one to see the pertinent details on a new page for each, just list the details of the notifications:

Bartosz Misiak replied to Mike54's status | Today, 02:12 PM

iikato repled to AnthonyKinson's status | Today, 11:07 AM

I like. Especially if there is a "Mark as read" to the right of the time.

I have to say, I'm impressed with new search engine!!
That was the most annoying issue and I really don't care about anything else, as long, as the search works.
I just gave it a couple of shots only, but it looks good so far.

Maybe, maybe, drop-down menu is little bit confusing:

%7Boption%7D

I think, it should say "All Forums", instead of "Forums" and it could be moved either above "Help Files", or even made as default, instead of "This topic".

I think, it should say "All Forums", instead of "Forums" and it could be moved either above "Help Files", or even made as default, instead of "This topic".

I think that Forums is good as it matches the tab name. Perhaps hit should be moved around, maybe to be in Tab order? I do not that that "This Topic" should be removed as the default because I think that it is a fantastic idea. I know I hate searching for something in a particular topic and that just makes life easy.

But it literally only searches that one forum, there is another option for all forums down lower. Seem incredibly logical to me.

Am I misunderstanding something?
  • While viewing a topic search 'this topic', 'this forum', and Forums are available
  • When viewing a forum the 'this topic' option disappears but the rest remain

?

Suggestion: Where members/friends comment on your profile, maybe add a "Reply" button that either takes you to their profile, or starts a sub conversation. I saw the same for Status Updates and loved it. Figured it'd be good for the comments as well. :D

Loving the feel of IPB3.1 so far!

Regards,

Wilford Tibbetts

I don't want any notifications at all because I didn't ask for them? Then I get this big huge page full of check boxes of random stuff when I try to turn it off. I just left it and I'll just un-check everything if I get another chance to. Stuff like this shouldn't be "on" by default when people upgrade their boards.

The search box thing with the drop down, is that required or can it be skinned out?

• Management

Shared Links 5

Think it would be nice if we could set via ACP who shared which links, and perhaps to which service (maybe make it so only admin can see where it was shared).

I think having a list of who shared items will encourage people to share more. Also, perhaps there could be a 'top' sharers this week/day/month block, which will again encourage people to share things.

Even better, make it so people get rep points after sharing every X links.

The Admin CP will allow you to switch off and add new "share services". It also logs who shared 'what' with 'whom' so you will have that data.

still no "manage search results" ...?

What would you like to manage?

Regarding notifications / pop-ups: Hear you loud and clear. We'll have a meeting of minds and get back to you. :)

What I'm getting as of today is after marking the board as read I still get 40 pages / 1000 items when I click on View new content again. I would expect that after marking the board as read and then looking for new content that their wouldn't be any new content.

In my settings I have "Show me all new content since my last visit".

When I go to my own forum and click this button I'm shown no new content as I was only there 5 minutes ago and marked the board as read prior to leaving.

Don't tell me that this is new behaviour?

3DKiwi

seems a little daft to show a pop-up telling me about a PM, when I have clicked on the link in an email to view the PM.

Would be better if the system decided it had been read and therefore does not show a pop-up.

Also is there a way to display the old PM notification - i.e. be able to see part of the PM. If not then please consider adding it back in as an option.

• Management

VNC needs work, I've said that here and there a few times. :)

Right now, we're using Sphinx searching to test that out and that won't have as much control as the engine itself cannot handle overly complex 'filters'.

Archived