Spam service

grippo

I just wanted to say thank you, regarding your latest announcement.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for the action that you've taken. I can't speak for everyone (nor would I attempt to) but that's all I was after when I was posting the other week, so it's a thumbs up from me. I feel like I can look forward to any other products IPS works on in the future now too, instead of worrying that I'm going to be left out in the cold. So yeah, it's really appreciated. :)

I am pleased there is a route to use the service without converting the license. At the very least it can be used without converting the license.

I am, however, a bit unsettled that standard license holders get it included with their $25 every 6 months. It says that the legacy licenses are not considered equal to the standard licenses. I would have much rather had everyone be able to buy it as an external service outside their license.

Moving forward, I guess it makes the most "business sense". Lifetime users have to pay full price, perpetual users get a discount, and standard users get it for free (well... "included"). In the end everyone is paying $50 per year, and standard license holders have to keep paying the $25 every 6 months to use the service. It gives those standard license holders a reason to keep paying $25 every 6 months rather than only paying when they need support/upgrades.

In the end I want IPS to flourish, and I'll be happy with what we're given. I may not be completely happy about it (would have rather had everyone pay $50 per year, as a lifetime license holder), but I'll live.

I'm not completely happy with the $50/year as a Lifetime license holder. From my perspective, it's like owning a Perpetual license now, because someone with a Perp license is only really paying $20/year for the service, where as I'd have to pay a whole $50. I think that the cost for the service should be the same (or nearly the same) between the two licenses.

I see it this way:
-- Standard/Business holders are current license holders, and get it for free. ($50 a year total payment with Spam service)
-- Perpetual holders are still paying IPS for service, so get it discounted. ($50 a year total payment with Spam service)
-- Lifetime holders are not paying IPS anything, so have to pay the full amount. ($50 a year total payment with Spam service)

All comes out fair when you look at it. ;)

Hi!

I think the final decission has been good for Perpetual / Lifetime holders...

We must consider this as a new add-on, and that's the end !!!

All new services will be free for standard with active support but will be treated as add-ons for Perpetual / Lifetime...

We have the option if we need to get this good service to our boards when we need them... :thumbsup:

IPS has changed their mind of business last years and has expanded to more business in Internet that years ago were impossible to think: Blogs, Gallery, Download, Spam, Subscriptions, Shoutbox, Tracker, CCS... :thumbsup:

At the beginnning I will not have spam service because I don't need it, but in less than one year I suppose I will get in 3 or 4 boards... and I owns 10 Perpetual licenses so it's not a good deal for me that decission... but I understand it and find it logical... :huh:

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='07 August 2009 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1249668851' post='1840061']
I'm not completely happy with the $50/year as a Lifetime license holder. From my perspective, it's like owning a Perpetual license now, because someone with a Perp license is only really paying $20/year for the service, where as I'd have to pay a whole $50. I think that the cost for the service should be the same (or nearly the same) between the two licenses.

Do you want to exchange your Lifetime for one of my Perpetual including active support ??? :whistle:

[quote name='Lewis P' date='07 August 2009 - 07:20 PM' timestamp='1249669233' post='1840063']
I see it this way:
-- Standard/Business holders are current license holders, and get it for free. ($50 a year total payment with Spam service)
-- Perpetual holders are still paying IPS for service, so get it discounted. ($50 a year total payment with Spam service)
-- Lifetime holders are not paying IPS anything, so have to pay the full amount. ($50 a year total payment with Spam service)

All comes out fair when you look at it. ;)

In terms of "everyone is paying the same", but not fair to the terms of the license. When I bought my lifetime license I assumed it would always be equal to future licenses. The only difference is the terms of what is paid... I know perpetual license holders would rather have the discount, and standard license holders would rather get it free... but as as a lifetime license holder, I would have much rather had everyone pay $50 per year for a single key that works on all active licenses. The way it currently is, lifetime license holders are not being treated equally because the $25 every 6 months is for upgrades and support. If that was extended for this service, it should be done the same to the other licenses. Either that, or everyone pays the same as an external service.

But that's my opinion anyway. In the end I'm happy I have a way of using the service without converting my license to a standard one, and IPS has an extra incentive for people to renew their support contracts. I may not be completely happy about it, but at least I get to keep my license.

[quote name='lunchbox67' date='08 August 2009 - 12:00 AM' timestamp='1249682448' post='1840198']
Standard/Business
Perpetual
Lifetime

Did they all pay the same?
Do they all pay the same each 6 months/year?

If you want to have Spam service, it doesn't matter which kind of License you have (I'm not sure if business include), all will pay 50 USD per year...

There will be the same differences as now in licenses for upgrades and support, but not for services as Spam service and other future services released...

[quote name='Lewis P' date='07 August 2009 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1249669233' post='1840063']

I see it like this...
Standard license holders are paying $50 year for ongoing support AND for additional services
Perpetual license holders are paying $30 year for ongoing support and $20 for additional services
Lifetime license holders are paying $50 year for additional services and nothing else.

If anything, the Perpetual holders should pay more (like $30/year for the service so $60/year total), and Lifetime paying $20/year, otherwise it's still like punishing a lifetime license holder by charging that much additional.

In essence, Lifetime users are paying for "ongoing support" that is already included in the license. Sort of like paying for an extended warranty that is named "5 year extended warranty" but the 5 years is counted from the time of purchase, not from the end of the products warranty. (So if the product includes a 3 year warranty, you're only getting 2 extra years really, but that's beside the point)

Don't accidentally delete this one Charles :lol:

[quote name='lunchbox67' date='07 August 2009 - 03:00 PM' timestamp='1249682448' post='1840198']
Standard/Business
Perpetual
Lifetime

Did they all pay the same?
Do they all pay the same each 6 months/year?

What I am asking is what was/is the initial purchase priced paid for the licensing

Standard/Business
Perpetual
Lifetime

How much do each of those pay to stay current?

[quote name='lunchbox67' date='07 August 2009 - 07:12 PM' timestamp='1249686764' post='1840258']
What I am asking is what was/is the initial purchase priced paid for the licensing

Standard/Business
Perpetual
Lifetime

How much do each of those pay to stay current?

Standard licenses pay $25 every 6 months for access to technical support, updates, and additional services we offer or may offer in the future.

Business licenses pay $50 every 6 months for the same. Technical support is given higher priority and has a shorter response guarantee.

Perpetual licenses pay $30 per year for access to technical support only. Updates are included in their license whether they have technical support available or not.

Lifetime licenses receive technical support and updates at no additional recurring cost beyond their original license purchase.

As perpetual and lifetime licenses are no longer sold, it's irrelevant what the original cost was. That's not factored into future services that weren't available when the licenses were sold.

I'm very happy with the net result of all this debate. The legacy licence holders keep the benefits of their licence but still have access to future services at an equitable and fair rate (without losing their aforementioned long standing benefits i.e. I'll always be able to use IPB even if I run out of money and stop paying for support/spam monitoring).

Thumbs up to the powers that be for taking the time to work it out carefully.

Now I have spoken, you can close this thread :D

Perhaps a slight rewording...

Firstly, I was one of the first to suggest charging for the service for those who have lifetime/perpetual licenses, so that the service costs are covered instead of chewing away at IPS's budget. So please don't think I'm trying to get this for free.

Standard license holders get the service free as part of their package. That's cool.

Perpetual license holders only have to pay $20 additional per year to get the service added on top of their cost for support. Seems good.

Lifetime license holder should get the same deal as the Perpetual holders. Otherwise, it's exactly like being charged for support which is already part of the package. So, $0/year for support plus $20/year for the service. Again, having to pay $30 additional ($30 more than a Perpetual holder) is a punishment to the Lifetime holders. If anything, charge $30/year for Perpetual and Lifetime holders.

[quote name='Lewis P' date='07 August 2009 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1249685116' post='1840234']
I don't. I think the way it is currently is fair. All license holders pay $50 a year to get access to the latest IPS services, along with Support and upgrades.

Pretty simple really. :P

Paying for support and upgrades, which is already included in my license, is fair how exactly? :blink:

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='09 August 2009 - 06:05 PM' timestamp='1249833901' post='1840903']
Lifetime license holder should get the same deal as the Perpetual holders. Otherwise, it's exactly like being charged for support which is already part of the package. So, $0/year for support plus $20/year for the service. Again, having to pay $30 additional ($30 more than a Perpetual holder) is a punishment to the Lifetime holders. If anything, charge $30/year for Perpetual and Lifetime holders.

I tell you again... if you want, I can exchan one of my perpetual licenses with support included for your Lifetime license...

We could talk about that if you want... :rolleyes:

• Management

I think we've been quite fair and reasonable throughout this and fortunately, most customers seem to agree. Legacy customers expressed concerns about being excluded from service offerings. We listened and devised a solution that we feel to be fair for all that allows those interested in retaining their legacy licenses while having access to new services, an opportunity to do so. Clearly, we can please some of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but never all of the people all of the time.

As we always try to do, we've welcomed your feedback, taken it on board and did our best to devise a solution. We're happy with the end result and have no intention of making further changes at this time.

As there's nothing further to discuss, I'm going to put this to bed. If you have any further concerns please feel free to contact us.

Archived