Vb copying IPB?

Zero5854

Whats up with this stuff? It looks VERY similiar to IPB 3.0

See ATT Although I have respect for vb I have to wonder did IPB in fact come out with this theme first? I mean just dont repect copy cats :)
post-144748-124588769618_thumb.png

My apologies if this was already brought up

Well, VB probably will continue to 'copy' IPB if they see some feature that they are missing, and vise-versa, IPB will also 'copy' VB if VB comes up with something that the IPB community also wants.

I don't know if 'copy' is the right word to use lol, but something like this is common in all businesses.

[quote name='VioAdmin' date='24 June 2009 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1245891958' post='1813886']
Well, VB probably will continue to 'copy' IPB if they see some feature that they are missing, and vise-versa, IPB will also 'copy' VB if VB comes up with something that the IPB community also wants.

I don't know if 'copy' is the right word to use lol, but something like this is common in all businesses.

Businesses always steal ideas from each other, it's no biggie, but when it's almost an exact copy with little or no effort to give it some distinction, then that's sad.

Also, who's that a pic of in your avatar?

[quote name='AtariAge' date='24 June 2009 - 09:59 PM' timestamp='1245895154' post='1813917']
Where on the vBulletin site are they posting these screenshots?

Thanks,

..Al

In their blogs http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog.php

Quite frankly, it doesn't really look to me like they are stealing anyone's ideas. There's only so many ways to lay things out on the page before it doesn't look very intuitive.

I find there are similarities just like cars all have similarities, regardless of the model. Though "copying" IP.Board 3 I find as feasible as Ford claiming that Chevrolet copied their cars because they all have headlights, tail lights, and a gas pedal..

[quote name='Brandon D' date='25 June 2009 - 04:49 AM' timestamp='1245901743' post='1813978']
those screenshots still look like they were made 5 years ago.

I kinda agree. I was expecting something much more modern even if not web 2.0-ish.

Forum's will always copy ingenuity from each other such as sub-forums, reporting centers, heck even the idea of avatars has been taken on as there were days of avatar and signature less forums. But more to the topic, to me not really so much copying, a better organization can be setup the same by many. If you really wanted to argue, you could go back-wards and say IPB copied vB's profile pages back with IPB2's newer profile page updates compared to the classic view which was IPB's older trademark in which no one copied. However I do admit their registration page setup is a dead on duplicate.

[quote name='Insydius' date='25 June 2009 - 12:12 AM' timestamp='1245903146' post='1813982']
Forum's will always copy ingenuity from each other such as sub-forums, reporting centers, heck even the idea of avatars has been taken on as there were days of avatar and signature less forums. But more to the topic, to me not really so much copying, a better organization can be setup the same by many. If you really wanted to argue, you could go back-wards and say IPB copied vB's profile pages back with IPB2's newer profile page updates compared to the classic view which was IPB's older trademark in which no one copied. However I do admit their registration page setup is a dead on duplicate.

I remember several years back, one of the main things I looked for in forum software was the ability to have forum/subforum nesting, with no limit on how deep it could go. Very few packages offered that, with IPB being one of the few that did. Notice how it's rare to find a package that doesn't support that concept now? Took them awhile to realize just how useful it is.

There will always be a bit of 'theft' of ideas, but it's how we progress. I'm sure there was a point when it wasn't possible to lock a thread, you had to delete it. If each forum idea that was created was to remain only with that original software, then forums today would be a total mess. It's sort of a necessary evil, to take an idea and implement it. vB does it, IPB does it, SMF, etc. But to almost CLONE the entire thing is just pitiful.

Ideas and trends do tend to get recycled though. In another 10 years, the layout (concept) of IPB1.3.x might be considered cool and "in style". Not the old style exactly, only the layout of it. Look at the Mustang, it's taken on a look that has resemblance to the 1960's, while still being noticeably different.

Just how things are.

It's hardly fair to say they're copying in all honesty. A forum looks like a forum, there's only so much you can do to change it without alienating users. Plus, when you go fully tableless & semantic, you're kind of guided into a particular structure by the tags you choose to mark up the data.

• Management

We would need a time machine to do anything 'yesterday' and that's still in Alpha. A tech tested it yesterday and hasn't been seen since. Last we heard he was chasing a butterfly in the Jurassic era. Hope he doesn't squash it.

Regarding vB. As mentioned above there's only so much you can do with a forum. You could turn it upside down and inside out but then all your customers would want things back where they are used to them being.

[quote name='Matt' date='25 June 2009 - 07:49 AM' timestamp='1245908993' post='1814009']Regarding vB. As mentioned above there's only so much you can do with a forum. You could turn it upside down and inside out but then all your customers would want things back where they are used to them being.

...for example the "view new content" as it was in ipb 2.3.6? whistle.png

[quote name='Brandon D' date='24 June 2009 - 11:49 PM' timestamp='1245901743' post='1813978']
Yeah, I really don't think they're that similar either. In fact, saying they are is almost an insult to IPB3, as those screenshots still look like they were made 5 years ago.

Ummm look at my SS's again. SAME tabs at top. SAME stats format and layout at bottom. This is almost IDENTICAL. Not a insult beings im still a vb customer and bought your software and am currently using it not vb.
Was just making a point. Why couldnt vb come out with something that didnt look like this board....thats all :thumbsup:

[quote name='Insydius' date='25 June 2009 - 12:12 AM' timestamp='1245903146' post='1813982']
If you really wanted to argue, you could go back-wards and say IPB copied vB's profile pages back with IPB2's newer profile page updates compared to the classic view which was IPB's older trademark in which no one copied. However I do admit their registration page setup is a dead on duplicate.

For the record, we introduced the "enhanced" profile before vb redesigned their profile screen. :) With the latest visitors and comments and all that jazz. Just saying. ;)

To be fair, I'll say I like what vb has done with their calendar in the mockups that I saw. It looked pretty nice. And I don't interpret their changes as copying us. As Rikki and Matt already pointed out, there's only so much you can do before the forum just doesn't feel right anymore.

Yeah some parts look extremely similar but who cares? vBulletin is sinking because of their new owners and new development team. I don't like vB actually but it's sad to see a company like this...

Also, they need to find a good designer as soon as possible. Look at that, didn't we pass 90s already?

Archived