Blacked out photos…iPhone 15…

* I searched for a resolution to this and only found one Topic that was never followed up on or resolved. My apologies if I missed something

Since my daughter got an iPhone 15 all the photos she texts me will only upload and post as black on my Board.  (I typically save those photos to my iPhone 7 photo gallery and access them from there.) They upload but appear as black boxes as the thumbnail and when posted. It’s only her iPhone. Photos taken with her iPad and her husbands IPhone 14 upload and post fine.

I had her email me photos from her iPhone to my business email and my gmail account. When saved to my iPhone gallery from business email they still uploaded as black. When saved to gallery from gmail they uploaded and posted fine although at a lower file size.

Anyhow…I’ve attached a photo here from her iPhone that uploads as black on my Board but uploads fine on this community Board. Now I am truly bamboozled. Is there a setting in her iPhone that can be changed or a setting I can set in my Board software to resolve this?

Could contain: Couch, Furniture, Animal, Canine, Dog, Mammal, Pet, Handrail, Staircase, Wood

20 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Please could also provide a link as to where they are posted on your site?

I can start a Topic and post the black boxes and Post a link here. My Board is Private not public so I assume you will be the only person here that will be able to access that Topic?

Posted (edited)

So you are suggesting it’s my iPad 3rd gen with current IOS and my iPhone 7, also with current IOS that’s the issue?

I just tried uploading and posting those photos to that Topic on my Mac Pro laptop (2015 but with current IOS) and it worked fine.

So if the issue is my iPad and iPhone is there anything I can do about it (change a setting?) since I prefer those two devices and find the laptop cumbersome?

I find it hard to believe those devices are now obsolete as far as uploading current gen iPhone photos to my IPB Board.  

*Oh just occurred to me. Why is it that I can post those same photos on the same iPad to this community Board and they upload and post fine? Doesn’t make sense. Like this one:

Could contain: Furniture, Couch, Chair, Animal, Canine, Dog, Mammal, Pet, Armchair

I’ll go to my Board now and try and Post the same photo. See last Reply there. Thanks.

Edited by Allen Bradford

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mtlurb said:

But on my forum directly from iPhone 15, picture is black:

The only difference I see is a watermark. No watermark here, but one on your forum. Can you switch off the watermark on your forum to see if it causes an issue?

11 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

The above 2 are the only 2 things it can really be. Given you can upload here, I suspect this is probably the latter

I just switched to GD,... same

I switched off the watermark plugin... same too.

So these two things are irrelevant to the images being black 😞

Edited by mtlurb

Just now, Jim M said:

You can change image handler in ACP -> System -> Files -> Image Settings.

Yeah I checked right after posting... and I tried all permutations ... and same thing, image uploads black.

1 minute ago, mtlurb said:

Yeah I checked right after posting... and I tried all permutations ... and same thing, image uploads black.

I would recommend disabling what is creating the watermark there as that is not a core feature outside of Gallery.

Just now, Jim M said:

I would recommend disabling what is creating the watermark there as that is not a core feature outside of Gallery.

Already tried it... its not that.

What I can see is that the process of transforming a DNG to JPG on iPhone, then upload on invision creates a black image.

When I send the DNG, convert it to JPG on my MacBook, then upload it to invision ... it works.

Invision doesn't like the "flavour" of JPG the iPhone produces.

Ok I found a workaround....

On the iPhone --> Settings --> Camera --> Formats

If the setting is High Efficiency it will give black images when uploaded to invision server.

The workaround is to change it to "Most Compatible"

That kinda suck because you loose the original DNG file...

Could contain: Text, Smoke Pipe, Page

As you were able to upload the image fine here, there is something specific with your installation which is the cause here. Both here and your community run Cloud, there is nothing underneath which is causing an issue. I would advise disabling all third party applications/plugins, switching to an unmodified theme, and ensure that you do not have any resizing going on in ACP -> System -> Posting as a temporary test.

7 minutes ago, Jim M said:

As you were able to upload the image fine here, there is something specific with your installation which is the cause here. Both here and your community run Cloud, there is nothing underneath which is causing an issue. I would advise disabling all third party applications/plugins, switching to an unmodified theme, and ensure that you do not have any resizing going on in ACP -> System -> Posting as a temporary test.

Please see my workaround above... has nothing to do with plugins which I already disabled.

2 minutes ago, mtlurb said:

Please see my workaround above... has nothing to do with plugins which I already disabled.

My point is that you did not have to do your workaround here. They uploaded just fine 🙂 .

51 minutes ago, Jim M said:

My point is that you did not have to do your workaround here. They uploaded just fine 🙂 .

When I disable a plugin or change to GD/Imagemagick, how long does it take for it take effect?

23 minutes ago, mtlurb said:

When I disable a plugin or change to GD/Imagemagick, how long does it take for it take effect?

It should be relatively instantaneous, depending on what is being changed. At most it may take the cache length of the page to take effect.