Pages Guides

Go to solution Solved by WP V0RT3X,

6 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

This is not something available. It is custom templating for our site, built on a pages database. We do also have other custom developed things built into there

I'm not asking if it's available for download.  Is there a guide for how to build useable tools with Pages?

6 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Is there a guide for how to build useable tools with Pages?

These are the ones I meant, try to rebuild them and investigate how they work. Then think of a SIMPLE project you would like to realize with Pages. Some kind of directory or whatever and just go for it.

If you need help, search the forums, ask questions and also take a look at sites like W3Schools, or simply Google it. The basics of HTML, CSS and so on, probably no one will explain here, because that would go beyond the scope.

On 8/21/2023 at 2:43 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

This is not something available. It is custom templating for our site, built on a pages database. We do also have other custom developed things built into there

Hi,

The first two things mentioned whenever I see someone ask for help is to update to the current version (makes sense), then turn off all third-party apps.  Instead of me buying third part Pages apps, it would be nice if IPS were to include some usable examples inside the application.  Or make something like the Providers directory downloadable for users.

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Hi,

The first two things mentioned whenever I see someone ask for help is to update to the current version (makes sense), then turn off all third-party apps.  Instead of me buying third part Pages apps, it would be nice if IPS were to include some usable examples inside the application.  Or make something like the Providers directory downloadable for users.

Thanks

Its certainly something we have on our radar in terms of ensuring people can make pages easier 🙂 

22 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Its certainly something we have on our radar in terms of ensuring people can make pages easier 🙂 

That's good to hear! I agree that it would be great to have a Provider's Directory. I would love it if Invision would share their template for creating our own Providers Directory on our site. Same thing with the Blog (https://invisioncommunity.com/news/) and with the user guide.

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

OK, how about releasing a guide on how you built your guide?

I can’t speak for IPS, but it’s still safe to say that this is extremely unlikely.
The people with coding skills don’t need it. They can just open the respective page, inspect the actual HTML and learn everything they need from it. It’s all public and there for everyone to see. 
The people who don’t have these skills, can’t do much with such a tutorial. They would just have to copy code they don’t understand. If they make the slightest mistake, everything breaks and now someone has to give free support for the tutorial. Who is willing to do that? If the user wants just a tiny variation of the template, they would have no idea how to do it. So again, they would ask for free support. Not to mention that such custom Pages templates correspond to Pages database fields and possibly CSS and JS files. If they don’t exist as expected, again, everything breaks. It just doesn’t work. I’ve created an entire online course around learning Pages, but it does not contain teaching people how to create templates from scratch. That’s just not a suitable topic for a tutorial. Either you know how to do it or you can get stock or custom products which deliver the needed functionality. There really is no middle ground. 

Edited by opentype

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 10:01 AM, WP V0RT3X said:

You mean the documentation? Check this out, it's even for free 😄

https://invisionfocus.de/pages-tutorials/dokumentation/

Well, it seemed easy enough, I tried it and failed.  The link is just what I'd like for one project.  A simple page that has 3, maybe 10, items in the menu on the left, and a page of info on the right.  All static, nothing that needs to be interacted with.  It's to provide info only.  Thanks anyhow.

I am still unhappy with IPS's approach here.  What I'm asking for should be simple to do.  There should be tools built in to help me.  I'm trying to develop content for people to consume, not learn CSS and JS.  We have a "powerful tool" to create content, but it seems our only option to use this feature is to hire a programmer.

Edited by Square Wheels

And here it is ...

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

1. Import the database
2. Edit database and change key to "docs"
3. Create a page like in the tutorial
4. Create a block for the sidebar

{{$recordClass = null;}}
{{$catClass = null;}}

{{if count($records)}}
{{$recordClass = get_class($records[0]);}}
{{$catClass    = '\IPS\cms\Categories' . $recordClass::database()->_id;}}
{{endif}}

{{$firstRecord = null;}}
{{$currentUrlPath = \IPS\Request::i()->url()->data['path'];}}

{{if count($records) and $catClass and count($catClass::roots())}}
<ul class="ipsList_reset cDocs" data-controller="docs.front.devDocs.main">
    {{foreach $catClass::roots() as $root}}
    <li>
        <h2>{$root->_title}</h2>
        {{if count($root->children())}}
        <ul class="ipsList_reset">
            {{foreach $root->children() as $child}}
            <li class="cDocs_closed">
                <h3 data-action="expandSection">{$child->_title}</h3>
                {{foreach $records as $record}}
                {{if $record->container()->_id == $child->_id}}
                    {{if $firstRecord == null}}
                    {{$firstRecord = $record;}}
                    {{endif}}
                    <li>
                        <a {{if $currentUrlPath === $record->url()->data['path']}}class="cDocs_active"{{endif}} href="{$record->url()}">
                            {{if $record->customFieldDisplayByKey('docs-short', 'raw')}}{$record->customFieldDisplayByKey('docs-short', 'raw')}{{else}}{$record->_title}{{endif}}
                        </a>
                    </li>
                </ul>
                {{endif}}
                {{endforeach}}
            </li>
            {{endforeach}}
        </ul>
        {{endif}}
            {{if $record->container()->_id == $root->_id}}
            {{endif}}
            <li>
                <a {{if $currentUrlPath === $record->url()->data['path']}}class="cDocs_active"{{endif}} href="{$record->url()}">
                    {{if $record->customFieldDisplayByKey('shortened_title', 'raw')}}{$record->customFieldDisplayByKey('shortened_title', 'raw')}{{else}}{$record->_title}{{endif}}
                </a>
            </li>
            {{endif}}
            {{endforeach}}
        </ul>
    </li>
    {{endforeach}}
</ul>
{{endif}}

That should be it.

Dokumentation.xml

15 hours ago, WP V0RT3X said:

And here it is ...

Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage

1. Import the database
2. Edit database and change key to "docs"
3. Create a page like in the tutorial
4. Create a block for the sidebar

{{$recordClass = null;}}
{{$catClass = null;}}

{{if count($records)}}
{{$recordClass = get_class($records[0]);}}
{{$catClass    = '\IPS\cms\Categories' . $recordClass::database()->_id;}}
{{endif}}

{{$firstRecord = null;}}
{{$currentUrlPath = \IPS\Request::i()->url()->data['path'];}}

{{if count($records) and $catClass and count($catClass::roots())}}
<ul class="ipsList_reset cDocs" data-controller="docs.front.devDocs.main">
    {{foreach $catClass::roots() as $root}}
    <li>
        <h2>{$root->_title}</h2>
        {{if count($root->children())}}
            {{foreach $root->children() as $child}}
            <li class="cDocs_closed">
                <h3 data-action="expandSection">{$child->_title}</h3>
                {{if $record->container()->_id == $child->_id}}
                    {{endif}}
                    <li>
                            {{if $record->customFieldDisplayByKey('docs-short', 'raw')}}{$record->customFieldDisplayByKey('docs-short', 'raw')}{{else}}{$record->_title}{{endif}}
                        </a>
                    </li>
                </ul>
                {{endif}}
                {{endforeach}}
            </li>
            {{endforeach}}
        </ul>
        {{endif}}
            {{if $record->container()->_id == $root->_id}}
            {{endif}}
            <li>
                    {{if $record->customFieldDisplayByKey('shortened_title', 'raw')}}{$record->customFieldDisplayByKey('shortened_title', 'raw')}{{else}}{$record->_title}{{endif}}
                </a>
            </li>
            {{endif}}
            {{endforeach}}
        </ul>
    </li>
    {{endforeach}}
</ul>
{{endif}}

That should be it.

Dokumentation.xml 79.33 kB · 1 download

Getting closer (maybe?).

I cannot add the custom block.

https://www.awesomescreenshot.com/video/20484729?key=6b6492459fa0ca0ed6f4a154916bda6d

On 9/5/2023 at 12:51 AM, WP V0RT3X said:

Looks good so far, but what I can't see on the video is the page itself, especially this ...

Could contain: File, Text Could contain: File, Page, Text, Webpage, Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone

And don't forget this ...

Could contain: Page, Text

While I greatly appreciate your help, I am shocked at how hard this is.  I cannot figure this out.

It is so convoluted and has so many steps.

Your guidance has been helpful.

I am very disappointed in what feels like false advertising here: https://invisioncommunity.com/features/pages/

IPS makes it sound like anyone can do this.  There are hundreds of drag-and-drop options out there that also include database management.  IPS has made this next to impossible for the average site owner to develop.

For now, I am too frustrated to continue and will give up.

@WP V0RT3X, you have been most gracious with your time.

• Solution

That sounds very sad @Square Wheels :sad:

On 9/3/2023 at 9:40 PM, Square Wheels said:

The link is just what I'd like for one project.  A simple page that has 3, maybe 10, items in the menu on the left, and a page of info on the right.  All static, nothing that needs to be interacted with.  It's to provide info only.  Thanks anyhow.

Feel free to PM me and I will build such a database directly on your site and completely for free.

We can even customize it a little bit if you like to :smile:

On 9/9/2023 at 4:48 PM, Square Wheels said:

I am very disappointed in what feels like false advertising here: https://invisioncommunity.com/features/pages/

IPS makes it sound like anyone can do this.  There are hundreds of drag-and-drop options out there that also include database management.  IPS has made this next to impossible for the average site owner to develop

I'm very sorry to hear this. Could you please let me know which part of the page there you feel to be incorrect, so we can get it looked at? I took a look through myself and everything on there, other than where it states you can code a page yourself, is drag/drop. Interested to hear from your point of view why you believe this is not the case?

The above said, we do have work in that area to make things simpler for people to use.