Most efficient way to onboard new members?

Go to solution Solved by David N.,

When a new member posts a new topic or post, it requires approval. So far what I've been doing is approve the new post, then I have to go to their profile and remove them from the moderation queue. Is there a way to only have to approve their first post, then new members are automatically removed from the moderation queue? 

Edited by David N.

Just now, opentype said:

Do you even need the moderation queue?

I'm not even sure what it is exactly to be honnest? I mean I do need a new member's first post to require approval to weed out the spammers, but then once they're approve I don't want the posters to require being moderated anymore. 

in phpBB this was handled by members being part of a moderated group named "Newly registered members" and once you had been approved one post you were automatically no longer part of that group and into the regular "Members" group that didn't require moderation, so that's the workflow I'm used to. 

Then you can turn off “adminsitration validation” in the registration settings. 

Approving new posts is usually enough. Keep in mind though that could still mean spam in the profile fields. 

For even better control you would need to add a new entry-level group and then promote those members to the regular member group once they have approved posts. Check IPS’ group promotion feature for more details. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I had a good look at the group promotion feature but I'm not sure how to go about this?

I can create a new group named "Newly Registered", and set up a promotion rule to promote that group to "Members" after 1 post. 

However how do I set it up so that people who've just registered are in the group "Newly Registered" and not "Members"?

We can change the group your members start in if needed. What I would generally suggest however, is instead of doing it that way, do it this way

1 - Copy your members group
2 - Set up the promotion rules
3 - Rename the original group to Newly Registered

and just let the system promote your current members

If you want to move them quicker, you can also just bulk move everyone to the new group if needed, So step 4 and 5 would be

4- Search members in Newly registered (and other criteria if needed)
5 - Mass move to Members group

When a new member registers and posts, I see a little red warning sign next to the forum name on the forum list, with two red numbers: one for new topics requiring approval, another for posts requiring approval. 

Let's say I click a topic, I have to: 

1. Approve the topic. 
  2. Go to the user's profile, click on Edit Profile, then Moderation, then "Remove from Moderation Queue". 

What I would like is that once I approve a member's first topic, that member is automatically able to post without being approved any longer (so no longer in a moderation queue).

Edited by David N.

50 minutes ago, David N. said:

When a new member registers and posts, I see a little red warning sign next to the forum name on the forum list, with two red numbers: one for new topics requiring approval, another for posts requiring approval. 

Let's say I click a topic, I have to: 

1. Approve the topic. 
  2. Go to the user's profile, click on Edit Profile, then Moderation, then "Remove from Moderation Queue". 

What I would like is that once I approve a member's first topic, that member is automatically able to post without being approved any longer (so no longer in a moderation queue).

The "Remove content moderation" field, from your screenshot, will do exactly this automatically for you. 

The group promotion suggestion was more-so to do extra permissions with groups but if the content is your only concern, the above is all good.

10 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We can change the group your members start in if needed. What I would generally suggest however, is instead of doing it that way, do it this way

1 - Copy your members group
2 - Set up the promotion rules
3 - Rename the original group to Newly Registered

and just let the system promote your current members

If you want to move them quicker, you can also just bulk move everyone to the new group if needed, So step 4 and 5 would be

4- Search members in Newly registered (and other criteria if needed)
5 - Mass move to Members group

Hi @Marc Stridgen

How long does it take for a group promotion to run? Can I alter the timeframe it takes to run?

Thanks

15 hours ago, Jim M said:

The "Remove content moderation" field, from your screenshot, will do exactly this automatically for you. 

Thank you. So I've set up that setting like so: 

Could contain: Page, Text

I had a member who was still being moderated and had one post already approved, and one other post waiting for approval, so I approved his post. The member is still in the moderation queue and I can see this on his profile: 

Could contain: Sign, Symbol, Text

4 hours ago, David N. said:

Thank you. So I've set up that setting like so: 

Could contain: Page, Text

I had a member who was still being moderated and had one post already approved, and one other post waiting for approval, so I approved his post. The member is still in the moderation queue and I can see this on his profile: 

Could contain: Sign, Symbol, Text

Do you still have further settings configured to moderate content? If so, those would need to be removed and this would not work retro-actively for old members.