Most efficient way to onboard new members?

When a new member posts a new topic or post, it requires approval. So far what I've been doing is approve the new post, then I have to go to their profile and remove them from the moderation queue. Is there a way to only have to approve their first post, then new members are automatically removed from the moderation queue? 

Edited by David N.

Just now, opentype said:

Do you even need the moderation queue?

I'm not even sure what it is exactly to be honnest? I mean I do need a new member's first post to require approval to weed out the spammers, but then once they're approve I don't want the posters to require being moderated anymore. 

in phpBB this was handled by members being part of a moderated group named "Newly registered members" and once you had been approved one post you were automatically no longer part of that group and into the regular "Members" group that didn't require moderation, so that's the workflow I'm used to. 

Then you can turn off “adminsitration validation” in the registration settings. 

Approving new posts is usually enough. Keep in mind though that could still mean spam in the profile fields. 

For even better control you would need to add a new entry-level group and then promote those members to the regular member group once they have approved posts. Check IPS’ group promotion feature for more details.