Calendar is broken

Go to solution Solved by Stuart Silvester,

After doing some Calendar-related maintenance (including deleting the default community Calendar, which has been there for years, and creating a new one), I find that I am no longer able to access the Calendar app at all on my site.

When I click Calendar off my site, I get the following:

Error: Call to undefined method DateTime::getDateInformation() (0)
#0 /XXX/public_html/applications/calendar/sources/Event/Event.php(363): IPS\calendar\_Event::_findOccurances()
#1 /XXX/public_html/applications/calendar/sources/Event/Event.php(2127): IPS\calendar\_Event->findOccurrences()
#2 /XXX/public_html/applications/calendar/modules/front/calendar/view.php(178): IPS\calendar\_Event::retrieveEvents()
#3 /XXX/public_html/applications/calendar/modules/front/calendar/view.php(125): IPS\calendar\modules\front\calendar\_view->_viewMonth()
#4 /XXX/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(118): IPS\calendar\modules\front\calendar\_view->manage()
#5 /XXX/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(153): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#6 /XXX/public_html/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#7 {main}

I notice that there's a different spelling of "findOccurences" across lines #0 and #1, but everything was also working fine until I deleted my old default Calendar, so....

3 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

As noted by @media, this looks to be a bug in the latest versions of PHP 8.1.  You can use an earlier version of PHP such as 8.0 for now this is a show stopper for you.

Only if it's PHP 8.0.21 or lower since 8.0.22 has the same issue. To be completely safe any 7.4 version works.

3 hours ago, BertT said:

And I just deleted the calendar, it's a pity that every time after a new update we get a lot of problems.

Invision Community Версия 4.7.1 PHP  Версия 8.0.22

Of course, nothing can be perfectly done. It also depends on your hosting company, normally you have some recommendations from Invisioncommunity. All the new updates are tested for sure by the invisioncommunity developers to make sure that they run perfectly without a problem.
You can go to Support in AdminCP on the top-right-corner and check if everything is okay.

Could contain: File, Text, Webpage

Edited by drawncodes.

11 hours ago, BertT said:

And I just deleted the calendar, it's a pity that every time after a new update we get a lot of problems.

This is not an IPS bug. It’s a bug within PHP itself. Meaning you could have had a perfectly working installation and then upgraded your version of PHP and it magically broke without you doing any update. 

Even outside of that however ANY complex piece of software will have issues. There are literally hundreds of thousands of interdependencies and it is impossible to test them all without doing releases only every few years. Even then you’ll miss stuff. Look at major operating systems for example. 

This is one of the reasons to use software that is well supported and maintained. 

18 hours ago, teraßyte said:

Only if it's PHP 8.0.21 or lower since 8.0.22 has the same issue. To be completely safe any 7.4 version works.

Yeah, I'll probably disable Calendar for now and keep going as everything's in place and I don't particularly want to roll back from 8.1.9 again. 🙂  Not a deal breaker, and I'm sure it will get sorted soon.

On 8/14/2022 at 7:35 AM, BertT said:

As mentioned above, this is a bug with PHP itself. They have patched what they believe to have been an issue, and broken things in the language. We are working to work around this issue.

• Solution

We have released a patch for 4.7.1 to workaround this issue.

To install, go to AdminCP > System > Support and click "optional patch available" in the top left block.

If you do not see this, you may already have the patch since it is included with and upgrades or downloads of the software after the date of this post.

59 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

We have released a patch for 4.7.1 to workaround this issue.

To install, go to AdminCP > System > Support and click "optional patch available" in the top left block.

If you do not see this, you may already have the patch since it is included with and upgrades or downloads of the software after the date of this post.

I confirmed the patch works. All good...