I wish to give a license to a member of my team...

Go to solution Solved by Marc Stridgen,

I want to gift one of my dormant licenses to a team member.

I cannot see any way of doing it, various posts around the internet range from it's not possible, to it is possible.

Anyone any ideas on how to get this license handed over to my lovely volunteer to make his evening?

20 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We do not allow the transfer of licenses as per EULA unfortunately?

This has happened in the past, Marc. A dormant licence isn't going to earn you anything. But, someone willing to take it over and take up the payments should surely not be discouraged. If both parties share information with IPS, and account name/email are removed and then readded, then why wouldn't you accommodate that?

Mark

Our official stance on this is no, we won't transfer a license from one account to another - you can however, sell your license and give them access to your account.

If you have a request that falls somewhere between the two - send a ticket to account assistance explaining why you need to transfer the license and we'll say what we think it best for your situation.

Lindy

At present, you may sell your entire account and the new owner can update the account details. To be honest, I'm considering a change in this policy as well. In the past few days alone, we've had three claims of "account hijacking" when it turns out they've sold the license and are simply trying to reclaim it. Most recently, someone claimed their account was stolen some time ago and after digging through files, logs and reports for 3 hours, it turned out the person had sold the license and was attempting to defraud both the new owner as well as IPS. The new customer provided paypal transaction screenshots, e-mails, the original password as provided to him by the original account holder, etc. As we do encounter legitimate cases every now and again, we have to investigate each one accordingly. It's very time consuming.

Questionable license transfers and scams literally take up several hours per week in administrative overhead. I'd love to say it's as simple (or could be made as such) as a domain transfer, but it's not. As such, it's quite likely that we'll prevent core account details (name) from being changed in the future and forbid transfers altogether. Unfortunately, it's a "few bad apples" scenario and one we're quite frankly tired of dealing with.

I don't believe the solution; as marked by Marc, is 'the solution'.

I wonder what the eula was when I purchased it all those years ago...

As Dean says, two parties, one dormant license to be reinvigorated, more revenue, another ipb community to potentially flourish.

Customers be like buffalo, loads one year, then gone tomorrow.

I believe from a legal perspective, the terms that govern your agreement would be updated with each renewal that you do.  Otherwise service providers could never change the terms (including the price) after the initial term.  

Also if you've installed an update (such as 4.6 or 4.7), the EULA would apply for the version that you have installed.   However even if not...the WayBackMachine has lots of helpful info:

https://web.archive.org/web/20171012095449/https://invisioncommunity.com/legal/license/

Going back to 2017:

5. ASSIGNMENT

You may not rent, lease, sell, share or authorize or temporarily assign your rights to the license or this Agreement to another individual or entity except as expressly permitted herein.

• You may, after six months from the original purchase date, permanently transfer your licensing rights and interest in this Agreement to a third party, provided the license is active and in good standing. Any transfer and reassignment must occur via the mechanisms provided within the invisionpower.com client area and all applicable fees must be paid for the reassignment to be considered valid.
  • You agree to provide this Agreement in its entirety to the assignee prior to reassignment and the assignee must agree to be bound to the terms of this Agreement.
  • You acknowledge that account and non license specific materials and purchases, including, but not limited to: account credits and third party (“marketplace”) add-ons and purchases are non-transferrable under any circumstances.
  • We reserve the right to refuse or reject reassignment at our sole discretion.

In essence you're being told consider all reassignment requests as rejected or refused up front now.  So from a legal perspective, you're going to have a really hard position there to argue.  Personally instead of trying to take the stick approach, I would try the carrot approach and contact IPS accounts and billing team PRIVATELY (https://invisioncommunity.com/contact-us/) and make your case there.  They might be willing under certain circumstances to make an exception to the rules and do something as a FAVOR.  (Not because they're legally obligated because they're not.)

The folks on the support forum do not make the rules.  They simply follow them.  Only someone in a position of authority can override the normal process, so if you're wanting that...  your best bet is to ask someone that can potentially be empowered to make decisions like that.  Again...  it may end up being that the decision remains as "no", however at least at that point it was actually considered by someone who had a chance at doing what you wanted.  

Edited by Randy Calvert

Just to double-check, if I wanted to give away my site to a new owner. How would one do that? Do they need to buy a whole new license? What's the purpose behind this? I may need to transfer one of my sites to a new owner in the future, and it would be good to know what to expect. Thank you for your time.

Edited by The Britain

Per the most current EULA:

5. ASSIGNMENT

You may not rent, lease, sell, share, authorize or otherwise assign your rights to the license or this Agreement to another individual or entity. You may not provide access to your account, the Software or license keys to any party without express written authorization from IPS.

You’re welcome to ask if you can transfer the account, but IPS is not obligated to approve it.

Again the place to discuss this is not going to be here on the support forums. The support staff is not involved with this nor can they approve it. I would suggest using the Contact Us form and selecting “Accounts and Billing” as the department. They would be the ones who can further address the question. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2022 at 5:52 PM, Randy Calvert said:

Personally instead of trying to take the stick approach, I would try the carrot approach and contact IPS accounts and billing team PRIVATELY (https://invisioncommunity.com/contact-us/) and make your case there.

😄I was under the impression this was the mechanism to communicate with the team for support and get peer to peer advice. Previously it would of been private via the support system 😉

I'm not using a stick, I'm surprised is all. Thank you for your quoting, it will help many more I'm sure. I was being slightly sarcastic about the Eula back in 20##. Reflecting more in the change a company goes through as it evolves. I brought licenses to other software instead, the ipb ones will die with me. 

On 9/23/2022 at 6:06 PM, Summit360 said:

I was under the impression this was the mechanism to communicate with the team for support and get peer to peer advice. Previously it would of been private via the support system

It is indeed. However this is an account issue rather than a support issue. For this you would contact accounts and billing.

There isnt anything more I can add to this on a support basis. This has been stated in the EULA and been policy for quite a long time now.