GA4 - Google Analytics 4 - Tags

On 7/10/2022 at 7:31 AM, Adam Goodrich said:

Ok... so as promised I am sharing some learning back to the community.

Thank you very much for your feedback there. Its very much appreciated, and Im sure some will find this helpful. We do indeed have on our list to sort out some documentation on how to get this set up with GA4. With the items you wish to see in the future, please post these up within the suggestions area of our community, which is where we would pick these up. 

• 1 month later...

Having a bit of trouble getting GTM within 'Integrations' up and running here.

I have found the code from Google for the 'Head Snippet' but I'll be danged if I can find where they give you the code for the 'Body Snippet.' I can't enable and 'Save' the GTM without it.

Any help is appreciated.

15 hours ago, My Sharona said:

Having a bit of trouble getting GTM within 'Integrations' up and running here.

I have found the code from Google for the 'Head Snippet' but I'll be danged if I can find where they give you the code for the 'Body Snippet.' I can't enable and 'Save' the GTM without it.

Any help is appreciated.

Have you taken a look at the comment here? This should help you get to where you need to be

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/468034-ga4-google-analytics-4-tags/?do=findComment&comment=2897594

29 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Have you taken a look at the comment here? This should help you get to where you need to be

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/468034-ga4-google-analytics-4-tags/?do=findComment&comment=2897594

I did Marc, thank you. Unfortunately, I don't believe that tells me where to find the "Body Snippet" that is required to set up the Tag Manager Integration. As mentioned, I have found the 'Head Snippet" but can't save the integration to get it up and running till I find the body snippet.

Edited by My Sharona

21 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

When you create a tag manager account, it immediately gives you both head and body code. It sounds very much like you are not in google tag manager there

If you have already dismissed it, you need to go to the admin tab on google tag manager, and click "Install google tag manager

That is my problem, I was looking for it in the admin panel on my Google Analytics account (where it keeps prompting me to switch to GA4), which was where I found the 'head snippet'.

20 hours ago, Matt Finger said:

@My Sharona, Start at tagmanager.google.com. When you have your container setup, you should see a page like this where you can click the container ID in the top right

Could contain: Text, File, Page

A popup opens with the head and body snippets

Could contain: Document, Text, Page

Thank Matt for the explicit explanation!

• 8 months later...
On 7/8/2022 at 6:42 AM, Matt Finger said:

Hi Adam,

To pass Data Layer Events from GTM to GA, you have to add the Universal Analytics Tag to your Tag Manager configuration (not the GA config).

Currently, if you go to your Account/Container in Tag Manager, you should be able to add a new tag and see the Google Analytics options

Could contain: Page, Text, Document, Word, File

You'll also have to setup Event Triggers in Tag Manager so it knows to send the Community Events to GA.

Glad to see we're getting some feedback on our Data Layer integration! Also stay tuned since integrating Commerce with the Data Layer is on the board for Phase II.

To recap, our Data Layer integration is designed to push data to Tag Manager not Analytics, which are separate services.

I was wondering if this is how the events should look after setting them up? For example, here are Google's field names on the left, and on the right my input:

Custom event name = content_area

Parameter = content_area

Operator = equals

Value = Area of the content

Could contain: Page, Text, File, White Board

On 5/29/2023 at 3:17 PM, sadams101 said:

I was wondering if this is how the events should look after setting them up? For example, here are Google's field names on the left, and on the right my input:

Custom event name = content_area

Parameter = content_area

Operator = equals

Value = Area of the content

Could contain: Page, Text, File, White Board

So a few notes

• That appears to be the Google Analytics Console, but to setup custom events this would be handled via Tag Manager. Google has some pretty good support articles on the topic; These 2 may be helpful https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/12229021 https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/10075209. You actually don't even need to create the event it's implicit in the GA4 tag.
  • Those are all properties, not events. The properties should be available on many different events, so you probably don't want to track them individually.

Hope this helps! We don't want to take an authoritative "right or wrong" stance as the Data Layer integration is designed to be as flexible as possible.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, andavis said:

There are just 10 days remaining for the migration to GA4 - Google Analytics 4.

Do we have any platform instructions for the process?

Not quite sure what you're looking after here. Implementing the Google Analytics script would be the same as before. Copy the script which they provide you and paste it into ACP -> System -> Integrations -> Google Analytics.

• 1 month later...