June 9, 2022 in Technical Problems
Is there any way to automate creating a new daily topic and locking the previous days topic?
No, this is not possible out of the box. This might be possible with a third party customization, however I am not aware of any that exist for this in the marketplace today.
It should be possible with Zapier.
Thanks, Randy and Sonya! As mentioned by them, there is nothing innate there but an integration like Zapier may be possible. I'll tag our resident Zapier expert, @Daniel F, to see if he has any ideas on that.
You can indeed create daily topics with our Zapier integration, but unfortunatly you can't close them this way.
Instead you'll need to utilize the REST API and use the Zapier Webhook integration to send a request to your community to close the topic.
Here's a quick example which I've just created and tested sucessful:
1. I've used the scheduler to create a daily running zap https://zapier.com/apps/schedule/integrations
2. I've used our Invision Integration to create a topic https://zapier.com/apps/invision-community/integrations
3. Get the topic id from the yesterday topic from the Zapier Storage https://zapier.com/apps/storage/help
4. store the todays topic id in the Zapier storage.
5. Run a request with help of the Zapier Webhooks Integration to your REST endpoint to close the topic https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/integrations
This sounds complicated, but it took me literally 3 minutes to set up the zap and 1 minute to create the REST endpoint on my community
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback all, and great example layout @Daniel F! I was playing around with the REST API last night and able to create topics through it via an apikey, but I'll look into the Zapier approach you detailed and give that a go!
Started 21 hours ago
Started 7 hours ago
Started Yesterday at 02:28 AM