Cannot add the license: "There was an error communicating with the IPS License Server: . Please..."

We have recently moved our IPS to a new server. After the move the license started giving us error, saying it is expired.

Tried refreshing and even tried resetting it from client area, but every time we just get the following error:

"There was an error communicating with the IPS License Server: . Please try again later or contact IPS technical support for assistance."

The new server is a Plesk 18.0.43 with PHP 7.0.33 (we will be updating it as soon as license is fixed) and IPS 4.1.14.2.

We asked the provider to whitelist the server so we can test if the firewall was blocking us and that was not the case either.

Could contain: File, Text, Webpage

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Please ensure that your server can reach remoteservices.invisionpower.com . This would likely indicate that there is an issue from your server reaching out server to ours.

It also is HIGHLY recommended to upgrade the version you're running here as that is a couple years old at this point. Upgrading to the latest release will provide you with the most stable and secure version of our software.

10 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Please ensure that your server can reach remoteservices.invisionpower.com

Thanks for your replay, is there a specific port I need to reach? or does it need a specific port open on my side?
Right now I can reach it but it always returns 500.
Could contain: Text

10 minutes ago, Jim M said:

It also is HIGHLY recommended to upgrade

As soon as we get the license fixed we are planning to upgrade everything.

Edited by Tucker_v933
added a new question

i Believe i found the issue believe I have found the issue.

it seems to be tls issue. Found it by capturing packets during registration.

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol, Plot

is there a setting to update the TSL settings to use a higher one?

Edited by Tucker_v933

If you're trying to use TLS 1.0, that is SUPER insecure.  You should be at MINIMUM using TLS 1.2, and preferably 1.3.  Most organizations won't accept 1.0 or 1.1 connections as they're known to be very easy to crack.  You need to check with your hosting provider on why you're attempting to use 1.0 of TLS as that is a server setting as it may require upgrading your version of OpenSSL on the server.  

Edited by Randy Calvert

That is what I assumed, we have the intermediate Mozilla policy set which uses TLS 1.2 and 1.3

Could contain: Logo, Trademark, Symbol, Word, Text

According to the tests it is using the new version. the old version 1 is disabled.

Could contain: Text, File

Somehow, only the communication for the authentication server switches to TSLv1. 

Your screenshot is for the inbound TLS connection to your server.  Meaning someone accessing YOUR website.  In this case, you're making an OUTBOUND connection to IPS.   When your server makes a connection to a remote server...  it tells the remote server what versions of TLS that it can use.  From your first screenshot, your server looks to be only offering TLS 1.0.  IPS servers are saying "Sorry, we don't accept 1.0".  

In most cases, it would offer 1.1,1,2, and 1.3.  The destination would review the available choices and pick one (typically the most secure version) and say "let's use this".  So in this case, your server needs to offer up better choices basically.  🙂 

SSLTLS_handshake.png

Edited by Randy Calvert

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Marc Stridgen said:

If you are using curl manually you would indeed get an internal server error as it requires parameters. The issue here was that the software could not communicate with our license server, as there was a block somewhere unfortunately. 

Thank you for fast answer, is it possible to activate my license ? I may provide IP all version in private. thank you.

5 minutes ago, Conv said:

Thank you for fast answer, is it possible to activate my license ? I may provide IP all version in private. thank you.

Sorry, Im not sure what you are asking to have activated here. You already have a active license, and there are no blocks on our license server. You would need to contact your hosting company on this

8 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Sorry, Im not sure what you are asking to have activated here. You already have a active license, and there are no blocks on our license server. You would need to contact your hosting company on this

We haven't any limitation from the hosting company, before write here I double checked it. 

Forum engine write me, that my license key not entered, press here and enter your key. Big red message in top of admin area. I logged to my customer are, purchase a key, and trying to enter it, and got a problem that "problems to connect server, try again later".

We have dedicated server on leaseweb and haven't any IP blocks. IP.Board 3 © 2022 IPS, Inc.

I have taken a look at the site you sent over, and in combination with what you have said above, the issue is your current version is not compatible with our new license servers, and hasn't been supported for a considerable amount of time. You need to upgrade your site to the latest release of the platform in order to obtain support

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

I have taken a look at the site you sent over, and in combination with what you have said above, the issue is your current version is not compatible with our new license servers, and hasn't been supported for a considerable amount of time. You need to upgrade your site to the latest release of the platform in order to obtain support

Thank you, to clear this situation