hi, everything has changed on my server and i was able to install the old version 3.4.9 without any problems, but unfortunately there are problems registering. you don't see the security code, see screen, where can I turn it on or off? Thank you.

Could contain: File, Text, Document, Page, Webpage

5 minutes ago, Tschieny said:

hi, everything has changed on my server and i was able to install the old version 3.4.9 without any problems, but unfortunately there are problems registering. you don't see the security code, see screen, where can I turn it on or off? Thank you.

We are unable to assist with the 3.x series of products unfortunately. I would advise on upgrading to the latest release of the platform. That will be likely be using the recaptcha v1 which was discontinued

33 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We are unable to assist with the 3.x series of products unfortunately. I would advise on upgrading to the latest release of the platform. That will be likely be using the recaptcha v1 which was discontinued

hi marc,

thank you, it's just a pity that something is being forced on you that you really don't want. it should be up to everyone to decide which version they want to use and not "punish" them with no support.

48 minutes ago, Tschieny said:

Switch captcha option in ACP. It is most likely using the old v1 version which google doesn't support anymore. If switching to another option still doesn't work you'll have to simple disable the captcha check. Not the best solution though.

5 minutes ago, Tschieny said:

hi marc,

thank you, it's just a pity that something is being forced on you that you really don't want. it should be up to everyone to decide which version they want to use and not "punish" them with no support.

You are not being forced at all to use the new Ipb version. The version that you are running though is very old and it has reached the end of life as far as support goes. 

You can not expect that such old versions are supported indefinitely. What are you going to do btw, if php removes support for their old versions, which is supported by your old forum, and your host supports only the newer versions of php, on which your old forum will not work because it is not compatible? 

That being said, may I ask why you do not want to upgrade to the newest version? Is there a particular reason, like a theme or mod that is very essential to your forum perhaps?

7 minutes ago, Tschieny said:

While I appreciate your feedback, it comes back to developing and making the product better as we move forward with version 4 and beyond. It simply is not feasible to continue developing and supporting past versions indefinitely. Discontinuing support is very much a common thing in software development lifecycles as versions age (we actually did kept support for quite some time after version 4 was launched and matured). With version 3, there is nothing stopping you from using an installation, however, you will hit many roadblocks as many of the server infrastructure, 3rd party integrations (such as CAPTCHA), etc... have been discontinued, sun-setted, etc... by their own developers. 

7 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

You can not expect that such old versions are supported indefinitely. What are you going to do btw, if php removes support for their old versions, which is supported by your old forum, and your host supports only the newer versions of php, on which your old forum will not work because it is not compatible? 

Just a note here as we are getting into this information, PHP 5.6, which is the highest version of PHP which can run version 3 of IPB, is no longer supported by PHP themselves for 3+ years now and many hosting providers due to that choose not to run it or have it available to their customers. You may still find some that run it but as it is no longer supported by PHP, running 5.6 is a security concern 🙂 .

@Tschieny, if you have any questions about switching or upgrading to version 4, we're happy to answer any questions. However, if you continue to run version 3 (which is completely fine if you want to), we will move this to our peer community support forum as version 3 is no longer supported.

14 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

You are not being forced at all to use the new Ipb version. The version that you are running though is very old and it has reached the end of life as far as support goes. 

That being said, may I ask why you do not want to upgrade to the newest version? Is there a particular reason, like a theme or mod that is very essential to your forum perhaps?

I'm already being forced because I no longer get support for the old version. and yes, it has to do with a lot of old apps that I like better and that unfortunately no longer exist for the new version. and my provider has put everything back on request for as long as I want. I think that's great.

23 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

Switch captcha option in ACP. It is most likely using the old v1 version which google doesn't support anymore. If switching to another option still doesn't work you'll have to simple disable the captcha check. Not the best solution though.

thanks, that's what I was looking for, but unfortunately I can't find this setting anywhere, or I overlooked it.

25 minutes ago, Tschieny said:

thanks, that's what I was looking for, but unfortunately I can't find this setting anywhere, or I overlooked it.

I don't have access to a 3.x version right now but it should be in the settings area for either registrations, security, or spam. If you enter CAPTCHA in the live search field it should return some results.

Edited by teraßyte

You'd find it in ACP -> System Settings -> Members sub-tab -> Spam Prevention -> Captcha Type.

Note that you cannot use the "reCAPTCHA" entry; that is the old Google method which no longer works.

Your only options in v3 now are to disable it, or to sign up for KeyCaptcha (there is a free version available) and use that method.

Also make sure to get your "Secret Key" from KeyCaptcha, and enter it in the field on the bottom of the above page before saving.

45 minutes ago, Mark H said:

You'd find it in ACP -> System Settings -> Members sub-tab -> Spam Prevention -> Captcha Type.

Note that you cannot use the "reCAPTCHA" entry; that is the old Google method which no longer works.

Your only options in v3 now are to disable it, or to sign up for KeyCaptcha (there is a free version available) and use that method.

Also make sure to get your "Secret Key" from KeyCaptcha, and enter it in the field on the bottom of the above page before saving.

unfortunately I can't find it :(

Could contain: Text, Menu, Page

You're starting on the wrong page. 🙂

From ACP main page, on the left, near the top, choose "System Settings".

Then on the next page, click the Members sub-tab (not the Members tab at the top of the ACP).

Could contain: File, Webpage

I've also moved this to the Community Support section since it is for IP.Board version 3.

20 minutes ago, Mark H said:

You're starting on the wrong page. 🙂

From ACP main page, on the left, near the top, choose "System Settings".

Then on the next page, click the Members sub-tab (not the Members tab at the top of the ACP).

Could contain: File, Webpage

I've also moved this to the Community Support section since it is for IP.Board version 3.

thank you very much, now it's working