If you have a license for the software and you still have an old copy, sure.

With that said, the 3.X release tree is like 8 years old. It’s not supported and there are known security issues that were mitigated in later releases. In many cases the software will not run on modern servers as the software was not developed or tested against modern web servers. 

Finally while most web browsers will be backwards compatible, there might be issues in the UI related to that as well. 

Basically you’re locking yourself into a version of software that is not keeping up with servers or your users so you run the risk of being stuck with no support including difficulty upgrading to a supported version later. 

7 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

If you have a license for the software and you still have an old copy, sure.

With that said, the 3.X release tree is like 8 years old. It’s not supported and there are known security issues that were mitigated in later releases. In many cases the software will not run on modern servers as the software was not developed or tested against modern web servers. 

Finally while most web browsers will be backwards compatible, there might be issues in the UI related to that as well. 

Basically you’re locking yourself into a version of software that is not keeping up with servers or your users so you run the risk of being stuck with no support including difficulty upgrading to a supported version later. 

thanks for your detailed explanation. Of course I have a valid license for it. i like to experiment, so i want to install the old ipb again, there are also some apps i want to try again. Of course there may be errors, then I've had bad luck and have to install the new version again. However, these many updates annoy me extremely.

18 hours ago, Tschieny said:

one more question: can i install version 3.4.9 as the main forum or is that also forbidden?

As Randy mentioned, while if you have the software downloaded, you will be able to install it, it is certainly not advised/recommended. Not only is this version of our software no longer supported or developed for but much, if not all, of the server counterparts required to run this software are as well. Thus, there are known security exploits, bugs, etc... that will never be patched.

This is really opening yourself up to vulnerabilities and issues. To put this in an analogy, it is very akin to running hotel where criminals know how to bypass the locks on the doors. That is not only opening up liability for yourself but not safe for your guests either.

8 hours ago, Tschieny said:

then I've had bad luck and have to install the new version again. However, these many updates annoy me extremely.

If you're having any issues with the latest release of version 4, please let us know and we can help with that 🙂 .

On 5/16/2022 at 6:06 PM, Jim M said:

As Randy mentioned, while if you have the software downloaded, you will be able to install it, it is certainly not advised/recommended. Not only is this version of our software no longer supported or developed for but much, if not all, of the server counterparts required to run this software are as well. Thus, there are known security exploits, bugs, etc... that will never be patched.

This is really opening yourself up to vulnerabilities and issues. To put this in an analogy, it is very akin to running hotel where criminals know how to bypass the locks on the doors. That is not only opening up liability for yourself but not safe for your guests either.

If you're having any issues with the latest release of version 4, please let us know and we can help with that 🙂 .

thanks, jim. i have now deleted everything, including the db, and wanted to install ipb 3.4 as the main board, unfortunately it doesn't work with the license key.

Edited by Tschieny

Sorry, as mentioned, version 3 is no longer supported and has been for some time so if you are encountering errors with the software, it would be outside our scope of support. I can move this to our community support forum if you are encountering issues and maybe someone there can assist.

12 hours ago, Jim M said:

Sorry, as mentioned, version 3 is no longer supported and has been for some time so if you are encountering errors with the software, it would be outside our scope of support. I can move this to our community support forum if you are encountering issues and maybe someone there can assist.

I know that this version is no longer supported, I don't need it either. i just want to install this old version for me as i want to try - and tinker something. and i don't know if the software shows me errors, because i can't even get the license key, i.e. no installation. I find it strange that it is determined which version may be installed and which not.

2 hours ago, Mark H said:

If you are installing any version of 3.x then when the install asks for the License Key, simply leave the field blank and continue. It should proceed without issue.

yeahhh - thank you very much, it worked, but unfortunately I can't get into the acp. I installed on php5.6 and InnoDB

Could contain: Text, Page, Document, File

7 minutes ago, Mark H said:

It may be that you used a version of InnoDB that is "too new". Do you have an earlier version you can use?

But first things first.... check your sql error log. What is the actual SQL error there?

the other option was mysql, but that didn't work, that's why InnoDB.

sorry, I don't know, what that means ... 

Error: 1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'rows FROM sessions WHERE running_time > 1653068150' at line 1

Edited by Tschieny

Apologies, I misspoke and said InnoDB instead of MariaDB.

But that's the issue; you're using a version of MariaDB that is too new. One of the queries is using a now-reserved word, "rows".

You'd need to downgrade MariaDB/MySQL.

9 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Apologies, I misspoke and said InnoDB instead of MariaDB.

But that's the issue; you're using a version of MariaDB that is too new. One of the queries is using a now-reserved word, "rows".

You'd need to downgrade MariaDB/MySQL.

thank you very much, i have to see what my server has to offer 😉