Lots of spam today

In the past hour I’ve had around 40 spam failure to deliver messages. It’s happened twice in that hour, around 20 times within a minute, different emails in every failure.

Its happening through the post through register from what I see, but how they are doing it so fast I don’t know. Any ideas? I’ve turned it off temporarily

26ED9556-02CE-41D8-B415-807ED11C24C0.thumb.png.5906cb2dacaebfdee756a2796d130853.png

Example of one
313C234C-B6E9-410F-A2BC-3635A815F9E2.thumb.jpeg.906047df9db95f87fba5f0b99c8e5592.jpeg

Edited by marklcfc

Just now, opentype said:

Probably bots. The Google captcha (if used) is not a big problem for them. I solved this problem by switching to the 3rd-party implementation of hCaptcha. 

On spam prevention I have Invisible reCAPTCHA selected

Would guess some form of automated bots and they are getting stopped at your registration page. Being the "did you forget?" email is being sent now, this spam attack happened about a week ago.

1 minute ago, marklcfc said:

Invisible reCAPTCHA selected

This is Google's CAPTCHA.

42 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Would guess some form of automated bots and they are getting stopped at your registration page. Being the "did you forget?" email is being sent now, this spam attack happened about a week ago.

43 minutes ago, marklcfc said:

So there's no way to stop it? I'm still getting lots of these emails email failures

16 minutes ago, marklcfc said:

So there's no way to stop it? I'm still getting lots of these emails email failures

I'm afraid, there is no built-in method to do so. I have transferred this to a ticket though to see if we can clean up any of this for you.

On 3/30/2022 at 6:12 PM, opentype said:

Probably bots. The Google captcha (if used) is not a big problem for them. I solved this problem by switching to the 3rd-party implementation of hCaptcha. 

Is this what you’re using 

8 minutes ago, marklcfc said:

This one? Isn't showing a price. And do you just install it and it works or any other setting up?

Isn

Yes.  The plugin is free to install, but for protection to work...  you need an activation key that you get from purchasing on their site.  In terms of settings...  it's pretty simple:

image.png.c75385ab512a30186632e64e46439819.png

There is one other field below this space for your registration key and that's it.  

Their website portal shows all of the activity such as blocks/allows, etc.  

14 minutes ago, marklcfc said:

This one? Isn't showing a price. And do you just install it and it works or any other setting up?

Isn

Yes, that one. The plug-in is free, but you need to buy the yearly subscription for $8.

If you're not an international site you might want to buy up to the plan that lets you blacklist certain countries. It's slightly more, but still very worth it.

13 minutes ago, marklcfc said:

Does it affect post before register though? That's where I'm getting spam through and nowhere else

It does not prevent writing and submitting. But you do not see those posts anywhere in your community till the user registers and confirms his email. CleanTalk will prevent registering spam users. Their spam posts (that you'll never see) are deleted automatically by IPS after some time.

I see.

I use a different e-mail address for outgoing e-mails. This is a kind of noreply@mycommunity.com. This e-mail does not accept any e-mails. That's why I do not see any Mail Delivery Failure from those who use invalid mails. Incoming mails go to a fully functional e-mail address. Probably this is an approach for you.

2 hours ago, Sonya* said:

I see.

I use a different e-mail address for outgoing e-mails. This is a kind of noreply@mycommunity.com. This e-mail does not accept any e-mails. That's why I do not see any Mail Delivery Failure from those who use invalid mails. Incoming mails go to a fully functional e-mail address. Probably this is an approach for you.

I would do that, but I've set it all up in amazon ses, guessing I'd have to set up a new email in ses called noreply@mysite to do that. But then I assume I'm still going to get the failures and I'm only bothered by it as I suspect it will harm my reputation on there having all these delivery failures which are so frequent when post before register is active.

My bounce rate is quite high now and that's with me having post before register off for a while now

bounce.jpg

49 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

You can also just create a server rule to automatically delete those messages as well.  

How exactly and would that help with Amazon ses reputation or not?

Edited by marklcfc

You have two different issues here.  The mailer daemon messages can be disabled within your SES settings so you don't even generate them. That will remove you getting notices about bounces via email.

Under your Notification settings, disable email notification.

image.thumb.png.5b09c5d3440e3c61f00a696e3dae8651.png

Now...  regarding your reputation...  this is indifferent.  It's not going to help OR hurt you.  

Regarding improving your reputation, you need to figure out why emails are bounding.  I personally used SESDashboard.  https://sesdashboard.com/#features

You can set SNS to deliver notifications of all successful and failed messages to the dashboard so you can see what is happening.  I personally will go through and look at bounced messages to see if it's legit members who have an old email address, etc.   If you're using SES with IPB, I assume you're using 

Make sure your bounce management is configured and working.  I personally for hard bounces have users changed to the validating group so they're forced to update their email address.  If it's a complaint, I set the account to "Temporarily Banned".  (If they want to stay a member, they're forced to reach out to me and I can educate them about not reporting our mail as spam.  Otherwise, they can stay banned.)

1 hour ago, Randy Calvert said:

You have two different issues here.  The mailer daemon messages can be disabled within your SES settings so you don't even generate them. That will remove you getting notices about bounces via email.

Under your Notification settings, disable email notification.

image.thumb.png.5b09c5d3440e3c61f00a696e3dae8651.png

Does this just mean that the emails will continue to bounce but I just won't be notified about it? so I won't be aware of how often it's happening.

Edited by marklcfc