Optimization for speed

Grafidea

We are of course always making speed improvements on the platform. Note however that many improvements will come from server related performance, rather than the software. That's not to say there wont be areas in the software too, of course. But server environments will tend to be the biggest hit.

27 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Note however that many improvements will come from server related performance, rather than the software.

While this is true, most of the "opportunities" presented by PageSpeed Insights are things I have little or no control over, such as eliminating render-blocking resources and removing unused JavaScript and CSS. These improvements will have to come from you, though I imagine they would require insane amounts of work and are therefor not prioritized.

I know these numbers will depend on a lot of factors, but I think they speak of an underlying issue – not as in something you've done wrong, but something that's hard to "fix": When viewing the front page on my community, 77% of root_framework.js and 92% of framework.css is unused. When viewing a topic, the numbers are 74% of root_framework.js and 89% of framework.css. Given the required time and resources, these files and the rest of the scripts and style sheets could be massively optimized, which in turn will benefit everyone, especially mobile visitors.

1 hour ago, Runar said:

When viewing the front page on my community, 77% of root_framework.js and 92% of framework.css is unused. When viewing a topic, the numbers are 74% of root_framework.js and 89% of framework.css. Given the required time and resources, these files and the rest of the scripts and style sheets could be massively optimized, which in turn will benefit everyone, especially mobile visitors.

This is the worst. I hope that IPS will "somehow" optimize it, although I know it will not be easy.

Life Code GIF

34 minutes ago, SeNioR- said:

This is the worst. I hope that IPS will "somehow" optimize it, although I know it will not be easy.

The default theme is well structured (there is still room for improvement) so IPS have done a great job.
Each site contains various customizations, 3rd party add-ons, applications, etc. - so the owner is responsible for optimizing the site.

It's the same with a new and powerful car. Some learn to drive it well and find a good way to feel the pulse and speed of their car.
Who does not want or can not learn to hire a driver ...😉

5 minutes ago, Adlago said:

It's the same with a new and powerful car. Some learn to drive it well and find a good way to feel the pulse and speed of their car.
Who does not want or can not learn to hire a driver ...😉

I can buy a bulldozer with 1,000 horsepower, but unless my name is Jeremy Clarkson, it’s impossible for me to make it as fast as a Bugatti.

30 minutes ago, SeNioR- said:

@Adlago 

I know that, I am a designer myself 😉 My point is that many lines of CSS and JS code are not used at all (on the homepage and elsewhere) hence such poor performance on mobile devices in the PageSpeed test

A combination of critical CSS, preload  CSS external and prefetch JS overcomes many of the negatives. At the moment I reach 90 points for mobile speed on my site, but as you will guess, I keep digging ...

9 minutes ago, Ghost Face said:

I don't think it's too hard to do. Tools that do exactly this already exist and are used in the most modern javascript frameworks such as NextJS. 

https://purgecss.com/

This may be great if you optimize your home page, but when you load another page from your site you will be surprised by a bad view.
If you have to use this tool for every page, you will simply get lost in your CSS.
The tool developer of the Chrome browser also has a quick assessment of unused CSS, but due to considerations I wrote above, I personally gave up using it ...

4 hours ago, Adlago said:

This may be great if you optimize your home page, but when you load another page from your site you will be surprised by a bad view.
If you have to use this tool for every page, you will simply get lost in your CSS.
The tool developer of the Chrome browser also has a quick assessment of unused CSS, but due to considerations I wrote above, I personally gave up using it ...

If this would be the case, it wouldn't be a standard in modern JS frameworks. At least I can't think of any popular framework that doesn't use it, or a mix of PostCSS and PurgeCSS. Very big CSS Framework like Tailwind, Bootstrap and Bulma even recommend this approach unless you want to end up having CSS files with several megabytes. 

I don't understand why you think you'd get lost in your CSS. Nothing changes at how or where you write your CSS. The only thing that changes is how much of your CSS you deliver to your users.

Loading another page also wouldn't be a problem since you could simply prefetch any missing CSS files or properties by hovering over a page link for example.

Edited by Ghost Face

4 minutes ago, Ghost Face said:

If this would be the case, it wouldn't be a standard in modern JS frameworks. At least I can't think of any popular framework that doesn't. Very big CSS Framework like Tailwind, Bootstrap and Bulma even recommend this approach unless you want to end up having CSS files with several megabytes. 

I don't understand why you think you'd get lost in your CSS. Nothing changes at how or where you write your CSS. The only thing that changes is how much of your CSS you deliver to your users.

Loading another page also wouldn't be a problem since you could simply prefetch any missing CSS files or properties by hovering over a page link for example.

Well, yes, you try, maybe you will do it so that the community is grateful to you. The optimization process is not something simple and easy - you put some code and you're done. It's only in a fantasy movie.

1 hour ago, Adlago said:

Well, yes, you try, maybe you will do it so that the community is grateful to you. The optimization process is not something simple and easy - you put some code and you're done. It's only in a fantasy movie.

Who said it was simple and easy? I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but optimization is indeed taking code and improving it. 

Anyways, I'm going to let you dwell in your comfortable bubble. Not a fan of such negativity! ✌️

Edited by Ghost Face