Convert Xenforo to Invision

Go to solution Solved by Greek76,

As you are on Cloud, this is something which will need to be discussed with our Cloud and Sales teams. With that said, we do have conversion methods in place for converting Xenforo or if it is a version we do not have a method already for, we can evaluate a custom migration for you.

If you would like me to open that conversation for you, please let me know.

1 hour ago, Randy Calvert said:

I converted a site from the 2.1 Xenforo pretty painlessly.  It did take awhile, but this site had 10K members and over 5M posts and over 400K a private messages. 

At least on the 2.1 converter, topic redirects worked for me.  You have to make sure to keep the converter installed afterwards I believe.  

This forum is pretty small compared to that. I’m hoping that if I convert it goes easy. 

1 hour ago, Greek76 said:

This forum is pretty small compared to that. I’m hoping that if I convert it goes easy. 

My biggest challenge was when I did the conversion, I consolidated some of the groups.

On the old Xenforo instance, there was Supporters2018, Supporters2019, Supporters2020, etc.  When I moved the site to IPB, I made a new Supporters group and consolidated all of them into the one group.  The only “challenge” I had was that users groups ended up listing “Supporters” multiple times. 

Outside of that, it was pretty painless.  After the conversion and before you turn back on your new board, I would suggest making sure you go back and check permissions for each member group as those don’t automatically get set.  Personally I would run through EVERYTHING to make sure all of your settings are correct.  You’ll spend several days afterwards catching minor oddball things.  Like needing to add permissions for mods to bypass rate controls etc. 

3 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

My biggest challenge was when I did the conversion, I consolidated some of the groups.

On the old Xenforo instance, there was Supporters2018, Supporters2019, Supporters2020, etc.  When I moved the site to IPB, I made a new Supporters group and consolidated all of them into the one group.  The only “challenge” I had was that users groups ended up listing “Supporters” multiple times. 

Outside of that, it was pretty painless.  After the conversion and before you turn back on your new board, I would suggest making sure you go back and check permissions for each member group as those don’t automatically get set.  Personally I would run through EVERYTHING to make sure all of your settings are correct.  You’ll spend several days afterwards catching minor oddball things.  Like needing to add permissions for mods to bypass rate controls etc. 

Sounds like a plan and thanks for the advice. 

1 hour ago, Greek76 said:

Question.. I upload all the invision files to my public_html folder  but what do I do with Xenforo files that are already in there?  I can't delete the xenforo files yet I'm assuming because I need to do convert no? 

They should be on separate folders. What is the url to your xf forum? Do you have installed it in the root or in subdomain or other folder?

38 minutes ago, Miss_B said:

They should be on separate folders. What is the url to your xf forum? Do you have installed it in the root or in subdomain or other folder?

Xenforo is installed in the root hence why Im kind of confused on where to upload  my invision folder. 

2 hours ago, Greek76 said:

Xenforo is installed in the root hence why Im kind of confused on where to upload  my invision folder. 

You have to 2 options imo. Either  install Ipb to a different folder, say forum. So its url will be yoursite.com/forum 

Then you can do the conversion and then move Ipb to the root.

Or you can move your xf to a different folder, install Ipb directly in the root and then do the conversion. Personally I will go with the latter option. Hope it helps.

Edited by Miss_B

10 minutes ago, Greek76 said:

I don’t even think I’m going to get to that point. Trying to restore the backup keeps crashing on me and for my host. Keep your fingers crossed for me lol. 

What do you mean by trying to restore the backup?

You do not need to restore a backup at all. All you have to do is move the forum files to a different folder and then straighten out the urls and paths.

Just now, Miss_B said:

What do you mean by trying to restore the backup?

You do not need to restore a backup at all. All you have to do is move the forum files to a different folder and then straighten out the urls and paths.

No I meant the forum’s database backup. I’m importing it to my server from the previous owners server etc. one and hopefully I get it working on mine I’ll start the conversion process. 

If you’re doing that, just toss the files somewhere in a sub folder, and then restore the MySQL database. If you want to actually access and login to the old instance you’ll need to edit the Xenforo config file to specify the new absolute paths and URL (and possibly the DB credentials). You will also need to fix some file permissions. 

If you’re not bringing the old board actually online you just need the files and database to point the converter to it. 

13 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

If you’re doing that, just toss the files somewhere in a sub folder, and then restore the MySQL database. If you want to actually access and login to the old instance you’ll need to edit the Xenforo config file to specify the new absolute paths and URL (and possibly the DB credentials). You will also need to fix some file permissions. 

If you’re not bringing the old board actually online you just need the files and database to point the converter to it. 

Good  idea. Once I get the sql imported without any issues I'll definitely do that. 

58 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

If you want IPB to import attachments, avatars, etc you’ll also need to provide the paths to those. The converter will ask you where to find them. So just make sure you have the files dumped somewhere and know the path. You don’t have to deal with permissions or editing scripts though at this point. 

I'm still dealing with the restoring his back up on to my server. So many issues with the dude's host and not to mention he's ever hardly on during the day speed things up. I have a feeling that the conversion will much less of hassle if and when I get to it.