(NE) Contact Us - check sender

16 hours ago, The Old Man said:

it looks like the sort by name column doesn’t work correctly.

It's working fine - it sorts on cu_member_id, which is going to be NULL for all accounts that aren't member accounts. Just because it displays text doesn't mean the column is text.

Anyway...that will be an actual text sort in a later version.

Maybe a search facility would be handy in the tracker log

Searching will be in a later version.

Also a manual report button for repeat offenders next to an entry if no automated reporting on the cards,

You're going to need to elaborate here - if they are being detected, what is a manual report supposed to do exactly? See the previous discussion where somebody asked for buttons to be added - I need you to tell me what exactly you want to report, for whom and to where?

8 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

It's working fine - it sorts on cu_member_id, which is going to be NULL for all accounts that aren't member accounts. Just because it displays text doesn't mean the column is text.

Anyway...that will be an actual text sort in a later version.

Thank you, all I know is that you can’t sort the column alphabetically like it appears to indicate.

Searching will be in a later version.

Very nice, thank you.

You're going to need to elaborate here

I was thinking/referring to the ability to report email address and IP onto StopForumSpam as per their API if you have an API key, for situations when their API returns no match but clearly they are a spammer.

Thanks - so, similar to that previous request that was fleshed out.

• You're logging valid emails.
  • Obvious spammers are getting through as "No issues detected".
  • You want to then submit that the sites used for checking the details

Probably can be done for most of the sites, but it will be a manual process as I expect they would like you to explain why you are sending the submission i.e. evidence that they are a spammer. Leave it with me.

Example:

Could contain: Page, Text

Edited by Nathan Explosion

Cool, thanks Nathan.

Manual is fine, it means you can help the cause if and when you want to, and who knows, maybe make life a little more difficult for the spammers (beyond the spam just going into a bottomless pit and the spammer being unaware). My thoughts on that concept is it doesn't really help in the long term with the bigger picture or prevent other IPS communities but its value is excellent is you as the admin or your clients not receiving the junk in your Inbox.

Its interesting, I have noticed that sometime SFS lists 'Eric Jones' as a spam email address that he is, other times it doesn't but flags the IP only, even though the email address is often the same; almost like he is constantly getting removed from their database. 

I have another suggestion for future consideration, the ability to quickly export and import banned spammers. Sadly IPS removed import/export of the ban filters with IPS4. By virtue of this plug-in making good use of them, it means if you have multiple IPS sites you have to manually recreate the banned email addresses (and IPs if you use them but they usually change).

Just now, The Old Man said:

I have another suggestion for future consideration, the ability to quickly export and import banned spammers. Sadly IPS removed import/export of the ban filters with IPS4. By virtue of this plug-in making good use of them, it means if you have multiple IPS sites you have to manually recreate the banned email addresses (and IPs if you use them but they usually change).

You can do that manually - just export the content of core_banfilters from your database, import it into your new database. But what about Cloud, I hear some say...ah well.

It's not something I will build into this resource.

Right, the next version of this will have the following added:

1. Settings
    • added a new check against your site's "Allowed email domains for registration" configuration
  2. Tracker
    • 'Sender' information now split out to separate 'Name' & 'Email address' columns
    • added quick search functionality ('Name','Email address' and 'IP address' are searched)
    • added ability to submit reports to AbuseIPDB
    • Filters
      • added "No issues detected" filter
      • added "Email domain not allowed" filter
      • added "Email domain block advised" filter
      • added "Reported" filter
      • filters will now only display if they are relevant to your chosen settings. Some examples:
        • the "Email banned" filter will be available only if the check against your site's "Non-Registrable Email Addresses" configuration is enabled
        • the "Email domain not allowed" filter will be available only if the check against your site's "Allowed email domains for registration" configuration is enabled
      • mailcheck.ai results are now included when using the 'Disposable email address' filter

Please note the following with regard to reporting:

1. I have also developed the functionality for submitting reports to StopForumSpam, but I have concerns about making this available in the resource as they are very picky about reporting being related to FORUM spam as opposed to email spam (here is the most recent discussion about it: https://www.stopforumspam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9305)
  2. What about the other APIs that the resource can check against? Well, I don't see any API method for submitting reports to mailcheck.ai, check-mail.org or neutrionapi.net, so I can't build the same functionality for them.

v2.3.0 is currently pending approval

NEW

• Settings
    • added a new check against your site's "Allowed email domains for registration" configuration
  • Tracker
    • 'Sender' information has been split out to separate 'Name' & 'Email address' columns
    • added quick search functionality (Name, email address and IP address are searched)
    • added the ability to submit reports to AbuseIPDB
    • Filters
      • added "No issues detected" filter
      • added "Email domain not allowed" filter
      • added "Email domain block advised" filter
      • added "Reported"/"Not reported" filters
      • changed "Banned" filter's language string to "Email banned"
      • filters will now only display if they are relevant to your chosen settings. Some examples:
        • the "Email banned" filter will be available only if the check against your site's "Non-Registrable Email Addresses" configuration is enabled.
        • the "Email domain not allowed" filter will be available only if the check against your site's "Allowed email domains for registration" configuration is enabled.
      • mailcheck.ai results are now included when using the 'Disposable email address' filter
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest version working great, Mr Explosion! Love the report facily and the way to apply it to previous reported content.

Could contain: Text

New 'Add to Site's Ban Settings' feature is a great timesaver. Icing on the cake for convenience sake would be after reporting to AbuseIPDB to automatically do this for you but the tool is certainly much quicker than copying and pasting the IP and email address yourself as in the past.

• 1 month later...