(NE) Contact Us - check sender

@The Old Man how did you get on with this?

Question to people using this application - I've been asked the following:

1. Is it possible to capture the content of the email and store it as a just in case - the answer is 'yes' but I'm wondering how many would actually want this, considering the idea of this was to originally stop the email from being sent.
  2. Is it possible to check if the provided email address is a valid email address? The answer is 'yes' but there are several sites/endpoints out there against which this can be checked...so what do people currently use (if they do) to manually check email addresses out?

No promises on the above items at all.

Hi there Nathan, sorry for the slow reply. No I couldn't get it to work (it refused to accept the api key is valid), but then I got sidetracked by an unexpected server move. Still finishing up on that but I will definitely take you up on the offer once I'm sorted if you do want to run some tests. I could also try it on a brand new 4.6 install I had just installed before getting sidetracked. Have you had the AIPDB working on your live site/s yourself?

Re the 2 options you mentioned, I don't feel they are particularly needed from my own personal perspective, for the reasons you mentioned. Storing spam instead blocking it, no thank you! Checking a valid email address, I don't think it's worthwhile, I think many spammers probably use temporary 'burner' addresses and hacked servers that may very well mean addresses are valid when an email is sent but it doesn't mean much. 

BTW, another positive of this plugin; my unexpected VPS container move resulted in the loss of domain filtering in WHM's email settings. No such problem there with your plugin, everything is still snug is my IPS database!

I wish we could edit Marketplace reviews, this plugin is far from being simple.

16 hours ago, The Old Man said:

I will definitely take you up on the offer once I'm sorted if you do want to run some tests.

Install the plugin I sent to you via PM please

I could also try it on a brand new 4.6 install I had just installed before getting sidetracked

No thanks - I don't do "Try it somewhere else" until I've got information from the affected location first.

Have you had the AIPDB working on your live site/s yourself?

I have it chugging away on 2 sites.

On 6/25/2021 at 5:52 PM, The Old Man said:

I wish we could edit Marketplace reviews, this plugin is far from being simple.

Hi,

I just read my earlier comment and realised that this could be completely taken the wrong way. What I meant was in my review I'd described this as a simple plugin which didn't do it justice. There's now far more going on under the hood than at the time of my review (of the first release), it's also now an app, and because I can't edit my review, despite not being to give it more than the existing 5 stars, I can't add that it's even better now than it was with the new functionality!

Shame we can't edit Marketplace reviews or add a review of the current version.

15 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Install the plugin I sent to you via PM please

All done and responded, thanks!

15 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

I have it chugging away on 2 sites.

Great, thanks for letting me know.

Meanwhile the other features are working fine for me too.

Edited by The Old Man
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Nathan,

Suggestion: I've no idea if this is actually possible, but maybe add the brief privacy policy links to show automatically when the relevant options are enabled in the plugin to be included in:

image.jpeg.da07ca0da337413ca636f9a1b1554faa.jpeg

Stop Forum Spam

https://www.stopforumspam.com/gdpr

Validator.pizza

Doesn't seem to have one!

Check-Mail

https://check-mail.org/data-processing-agreement/

AbuseIPDB
https://www.abuseipdb.com/legal.html

Muchos Grassyarse!

That will be a 'no' from me.

The privacy policy is an editable field...so where do those items get placed? At the start? At the end?. 'But I want them to appear after the third paragraph of my existing content'

It's possible, but there are too many potentials here. Position, content, whether to include or not. By the time I opened up to start coding something to assist, you could have manually entered the content needed.

• 1 month later...

In the interests of transparency:

1. No further new features or bug fixes will be made available for this application while the IPS 4.5.x and IPS 4.6.x releases are supported by IPS.
  2. If & when a later version of the IPS suite is released, a new paid version of the application will be made available to support that version.

Edited by Nathan Explosion
  • 2 months later...

v1.5.0 has been submitted to the MarketPlace for approval.

• FIXES
    • None
  • CHANGES
    • validator.pizza is now mailcheck.ai
      • references to this have been changed in Settings
      • API URL has been changed
  • NEW
    • Controls added to allow information to be displayed on your site's privacy policy (if you have 'Add third party information' enabled in System-> General Configuration->Terms & Privacy Policy)
      • Associated language strings can be changed (search for neapp_contactus_pp_desc in your language packs)
      • URLs for the privacy policies can be changed
  • 2 weeks later...

It has come to my attention that as a result of changing this from a 'Free' to a 'Paid' resource that anyone who wants to update to the new version will be required to purchase the application.

This was not my intention at all, and I was under the impression that it would only affect those obtaining it for the first time.

Please be aware that if you are running v1.4.1 then there is absolutely no requirement for you to upgrade - it is bug-free and will continue to work without the modifications I made with the release of v1.5.0, although the change of validator.pizza to mailcheck.ai may eventually result in that failing at a later point if they deprecate the old domain/API method.

If you do choose to purchase the application as a long-time user - thank you for doing so, and please keep suggestions for improvements coming if you have them.

Edited by Nathan Explosion
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You could disable it, and then test if anything is coming through without it enabled and thus rule out the possibility of an email configuration issue on your side.

If you determine that you have an issue with the app as a result of the above then you provide more information for me to assist:

1. Version of IPS (not 'the latest' but literally the version number)
  2. Same for this app
  3. Then screenshots of your settings
  4. Some details about version of PHP in use would help too (again, full version number)
1 minute ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Version of IPS (not 'the latest' but literally the version number)

1 minute ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Same for this app

2 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Then screenshots of your settings

Could contain: Text, Page, File Could contain: Text, Page, File, Webpage

2 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Some details about version of PHP in use would help too (again, full version number)

Is the providing of the above information a confirmation that you've done the suggested test, and the result was that you could receive an email via the contact form?

5 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

You could disable it, and then test if anything is coming through without it enabled and thus rule out the possibility of an email configuration issue on your side.