Default font is different on 4.5

34 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

Yes, correct. In 4.5, they changed the default font to Inter. You can change this in your theme settings.

There are options for Default and Inter though. Inter is different to Default. Default is not the same as the Default was on previous versions

27 minutes ago, Ilya Hoilik said:

Maybe Default means your system's default font? So it may differ based on your operating system.

I only have a test site set up, comparing both defaults from 4.4 to 4.5 are completely different. The 4.4 default is the same as its been for years, 4.5 is different

From the theme editor:

'Default' uses whichever font face this theme defines in its stylesheet.

What are you trying to achieve? The answer to your question about "why has the Default font changed" is probably "because whoever designed the 4.5 theme made that design decision."

Are you trying to identify the font that was the default in 4.4?

2 minutes ago, marklcfc said:

I'm talking about 'Default', not any of the named fonts 

Understood. Default is defined at the theme level, so setting that option in the theme for the fonts used will obey whatever the theme designer configured as the default. For the 4.5 out of the box theme, it is what it is (and I believe it's Inter).

If you'd like to use the same font you had in the default 4.4 theme, you'd change that selection to Roboto. If you're wanting IPS to modify the Default font in the 4.5 theme to what it was in 4.4, and don't want to change that setting, I think that ship has sailed. Design decisions were made by IPS for 4.5 and I wouldn't expect a change to the out of the box setting at this point.

You can achieve what you want using the selection tool in the Theme editor.

11 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

Default is not the name of a font. It's the choice to use whatever the default font is, as defined in the theme you're using, as defined by the theme creator.

Yeah, but its not Inter or Roboto, those are selectable. Yes by default Inter is selected upon creating a new theme, but 'default' is selectable too which is not Roboto or Inter. Feel free to test those three options to save me explaining it over and over again.

Edited by marklcfc

That’s the current font stack as far as I can see:

-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif

The screenshots in the first post are very small and of poor quality. My guess would be that you use Windows and you are now seeing Segoe, which is a default on Windows. The earlier version might have used Arial, which is still in the font stack, but comes after Segoe, so it’s not used if Segoe is present. That’s how these font stacks work. If no web font is forced, than you get ANY of the fonts in the list. Nothing wrong with that, but you can easily override that in the custom.css if you want a preference for Arial for example. 

Edited by opentype

29 minutes ago, opentype said:

That’s the current font stack as far as I can see:

-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, "Segoe UI", Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif

The screenshots in the first post are very small and of poor quality. My guess would be that you use Windows and you are now seeing Segoe, which is a default on Windows. The earlier version might have used Arial, which is still in the font stack, but comes after Segoe, so it’s not used if Segoe is present. That’s how these font stacks work. If no web font is forced, than you get ANY of the fonts in the list. Nothing wrong with that, but you can easily override that in the custom.css if you want a preference for Arial for example. 

I am on Windows but my site is still on 4.4 and its not changed, only on 4.5 when I tested that. Any idea how I can set it to what Default stood for one 4.4 and all previous versions for the past 5-6 years?

Edited by marklcfc