Topics "offset"

Hi there. I was thinking... it would be awesome if there was a way to somehow incorporate an "offset" feature into blocks.

So you could set up Blocks like this:

5 Featured Topics block (most recent topics 1-5)

1 Calendar event

Next 5 Featured Topics block (most recent topics 6-10)

Advertisement

Next 5 Featured Topics block (most recent topics 11-15)

Thoughts? 

• 5 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bfarber said:

It's doable with template edits and custom advertisement locations. We've done similar things for custom themes for our enterprise-level services.

Interesting! But I’m using the SuperBlocks application to display the news. Possible to still do it?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Still doable with Superblocks. You need to do some counting.

Basically something at the end of each Foreach that is like:
{{$adcount=++;}}

{{if $adcount = 5}}
Insert code
{{elseif $adcount=10}}
Insert Code
{{endif}}

Edited by Morrigan

1 hour ago, Morrigan said:

Still doable with Superblocks. You need to do some counting.

Basically something at the end of each Foreach that is like:
{{$adcount=++;}}

{{if $adcount = 5}}
Insert code
{{elseif $adcount=10}}
Insert Code
{{endif}}

Ahhh interesting. Can this work with SuperTopics? 

22 minutes ago, opentype said:

Well, the logic works, but the mentioned products create grid child elements with each loop, so throwing ads in there at random points will probably break the layout. 
So the IF query would also need to end the grid container first and potentially start a new one after the ad. 

That's why I just put "Insert code" Since I don't know the templates I couldn't be more helpful than that. I also don't know if they want to add the advertisement as a grid item SO! There are a few factors there to consider.

Edit: I don't know the specifics because I didn't design the templates. 😉 But giving the basic overview of what is needed to accomplish what they want.

Edited by Morrigan

19 hours ago, opentype said:

So the IF query would also need to end the grid container first and potentially start a new one after the ad.

😍 

If I understand correctly, one would (in theory) use multiple blocks to display the topic items? 

supertopic 1 block

ad

supertopic 2 block

ad

etc?

I was actually wanting to implement something very similar a few years back when we were thinking about doing a re-design for the homepage. We wanted to have an infinite scrolling homepage that integrated threads and other noteworthy content from our community together with news articles and other stuff from our editorial website, and intermittent ads tossed in every few content "rows". Unfortunately, we've since shelved this idea due to various unrelated issues. But I did have a very rough illustration of this setup. Sorry in advance for the Hebrew text. I'm too damn lazy to remove it just to post it here 😅

homepage.thumb.jpg.cab7d72ede2ce0046b8c2c6521ad5931.jpg