Using Pages as a Wiki?

Hi,

We previously set up a Wiki for our site using MediaWiki. Unfortunately due to lack of integration with IPS it never really came to life.  However the idea itself is still a good one for our community. As such, I was just wondering if it would be possible to use IPS Pages as a type of Wiki? Ideally we'd have a user group set up to restrict access to chosen contributors (who may not be tech savvy) rather than it being possible for everyone to edit it.

Cheers

Rich

Edited by CanalWorld

43 minutes ago, CanalWorld said:

Hi,

We previously set up a Wiki for our site using MediaWiki. Unfortunately due to lack of integration with IPS it never really came to life.  However the idea itself is still a good one for our community. As such, I was just wondering if it would be possible to use IPS Pages as a type of Wiki? Ideally we'd have a user group set up to restrict access to chosen contributors (who may not be tech savvy) rather than it being possible for everyone to edit it.

Cheers

Rich

@CanalWorld

There is also a "Wiki markup" plugin in Marketplace. with this plugin, you can use some of Mediawiki markups in your article.

Edited by shahed

Some thoughts:

1. If MediaWiki includes an oAuth 2 integration (and you'll have to check although other users have investigated), you will be able to connect it to Invision Community by setting up a new login method.  This is better if you're needing the full functionality and complexity of a full wiki.  

2. If you'd like to control and offer  a seamless experience completely within Invision, then yes you can enable wiki editing on a Pages database.  Keep in mind that the wiki editing is very basic, so you sacrifice the power of MediaWiki for the unified experience if your suite.  

• 6 months later...
On 10/2/2019 at 11:46 AM, opentype said:

But you also gain the power of dedicated custom fields specifically tailored to the content you want to collect and show. I would prefer that over the MediaWiki approach most of the times. 

Have you created a Wiki page using Pages with the use of custom fields and wiki editing enabled? I would love to have a look at it, as this is something I definitely would love to add to my forum. Or do you know of someone that has done it this way?

I appreciate any help with this. 

Thank you. 

4 hours ago, SC36DC said:

Have you created a Wiki page using Pages with the use of custom fields and wiki editing enabled? I would love to have a look at it …

Yes, I use it in multiple cases on several sites. But there isn’t much to look at. A Wiki page works just like any other Pages database, just that multiple registered members can click the “edit” link. 

11 minutes ago, opentype said:

just that multiple registered members can click the “edit” link. 

This part is already capable within PAGES? I don't already have PAGES, but I do plan on buying it soon.

I guess I will go with the Wiki Markup for Page plugin, and possibly Infobox Buttons.

Also, if you can set it so multiple people can edit a page, can you only give permission to certain people?

Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate the help.

4 hours ago, SC36DC said:

Have you created a Wiki page using Pages with the use of custom fields and wiki editing enabled? I would love to have a look at it, as this is something I definitely would love to add to my forum. Or do you know of someone that has done it this way?

This is a Wiki I created with Pages. Almost everything is based on custom fields (even the progress bars)...

https://www.red-dead-online.de/wiki/allgemeines/waffen/lancaster-repetiergewehr-r97/

I don't use the markup addon for formatting because I think it's easier for the users when you offer them forms to input their data.

5 minutes ago, OliverKapunkt said:

This is a Wiki I created with Pages. Almost everything is based on custom fields (even the progress bars)...

https://www.red-dead-online.de/wiki/allgemeines/waffen/lancaster-repetiergewehr-r97/

I don't use the markup addon for formatting because I think it's easier for the users when you offer them forms to input their data.

Using forms to input data is much easier than using the confusing "wiki" style editing, I agree. 

The page you linked to does look great. 

13 minutes ago, OliverKapunkt said:

Thank you very much 🙂

This is how the wiki-feature of Pages looks like...

wikidb.thumb.png.41d3588e648511769effcd94225368b0.png

If you only want selected people to create/edit articles, just use a regular database and a usergroup with special permissions.

I like your homepage block style menu, can I ask how did you achieve it? 

IMG_20200415_010629.jpg

17 minutes ago, OliverKapunkt said:

Thank you very much 🙂

This is how the wiki-feature of Pages looks like...

wikidb.thumb.png.41d3588e648511769effcd94225368b0.png

If you only want selected people to create/edit articles, just use a regular database and a usergroup with special permissions.

Thank you for taking the time to take and share a screenshot. I appreciate that.

I am not sure I understand the whole "database" part of PAGES. If I want to set up a Movie Review section, as we discussed before, would that use its own database? Then if I want to set up a Wiki feature, that would require a separate database?

I would  probably only want a select few to be able to edit JUST the pages in the Wiki section. 

Thanks again for your help.

5 minutes ago, SC36DC said:

I am not sure I understand the whole "database" part of PAGES. If I want to set up a Movie Review section, as we discussed before, would that use its own database? Then if I want to set up a Wiki feature, that would require a separate database?

Exactly. A page must not contain a database, it can be just a collection of custom blocks and widgets only too, like this https://www.red-dead-online.de/

BUT a page can contain a database too and that's where your content/articles are stored.

For example this is a list of the "pages" that are used on that site and which ones contain a database https://prnt.sc/rzl282

The wiki feature (everybody can edit every article) is only activated on the database called "Wiki".

Other examples for database permissions:

- Every registered member can publish content in the database "Guides" and edit his own articles too.

- But "Videos" (yes, the tube is a pages database too) can be published only by staff member,s because we don't want YouTubers that only come over to promote their channels.