Ok here is a doosie

Mark White

I had the PHP functions enable that are potentially dangerous notification when I logged into the admin CP

I also had the nag about mysql  being 5.10 and needing to be 6.0 I think I upgraded the server to as high as I could go to 5.13 Maria

I also had server support put a script to disable the PHP function as advised by admin cp

Next I get a message from an end user telling me when he clicks on a forum link for instance I run a jeep site so we have it set up for wranglers in a main container then JKs and JK Mods and so on when he clicks on any of the links for any forum on the front end the page doesnt load and gives I think it was 503 page not found error maybe 505...

so I frantically freak out and say let me see I try it and yep true deal...I install the invision upgrade script since I had let it lapse since this is a hobby more than anything but Im holding a contest based on site points that was scheduled to end at 8pm tonight...(yep I know leave alone next time ignore nags but im OCD)

and two drawing tonight also...

so I run the invision site software upgrade and check again then I start getting a theme error...

[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I said hang on Ill update the infaskew themes I run and love I buy the support from him and install and it says Im changing templates I have four skins all his running so I say ok change to new figuring this is the issue... nope doesnt work I try to upgrade one without changing the templates using the previous version and same result I said ok maybe its an issue I dont have the default front end theme anymore it was pretty weak over all so I had removed it I said Ill just buy the enhanced default front end theme install it be back up and worry about getting my Infaskew themes worked out later...

and Nope no go my main page wont load...I made an announcement on FB letting my end users know I was having server and site software conflicts and cancelled the contest and drawings for tonight ...

Any body have any ideas how to correct this mess...?

Any help is appreciated...

https://www.americanjeeper.us/

As you can see page wont even load but I am in admin cp full functioning...

yep tech support is looking into it I ran the script to see if its acceptable within parameters of server software ...

PHP Requirements

• PHP version 7.3.5.
  • cURL extension loaded
  • DOM extension loaded.
  • GD extension loaded.
  • Multibyte String extension loaded.
  • MySQLi extension loaded.
  • OpenSSL extension loaded.
  • Session extension loaded.
  • SimpleXML extension loaded.
  • XML Parser extension loaded.
  • XMLReader extension loaded.
  • XMLWriter extension loaded.
  • Zip extension loaded.
  • Exif extension loaded.
  • 1024M memory limit.
  • No Suhosin restrictions.

MySQL Requirements

• You are running MySQL version 5.5.5-10.3.15-MariaDB.

While this version is compatible, we recommend version 5.6.2 or above. You may wish to contact your hosting provider or system administrator to ask for an upgrade if you are upgrading to Invision Community 4.

Additional Requirements

• Your license is currently inactive. You will need to renew before you can upgrade.
My License is not inactive either I renewed it today.
or I wouldnt have been able to install the new site software to begin with.

I have decided screw all this aggravation and back and forth from server folks and Invision support.

Plus it has cost me 250 bucks in a little over an hour...yesterday before the recomendations had cost me nothing and I have run the site uninterupted for over 1.5 yrs...no down time...

They both point to the other and Im stuck in the middle while my site is offline during a contest and two drawings for free jeep parts...

So I have decided I am restoring the server to just the way it was before the updates and software installations and server updates all per my invision recomendations to when I had none of these issues, and my site will be restored and back up and running in no time.

The end.

The next time that you attempt an upgrade over a major point version (eg. Version 4.3 to 4.4), you should try to disable any third party apps, plugins, and themes.  IPS always has a lot of minor code changes and template changes in between upgrades, so it's just an easier process to do a vanilla upgrade.  

With that said, it's recommended that you stay on the latest version.  There are security and bug fixes, new features, and ongoing support.  

It can be very frustrating to have an upgrade for wrong - we've all been there.  There's something to be said for managing the upgrade process based on schedule and availability.  

Hey I remember you helped me last yr a lot sir...

Thanks the problem is I dont do this daily and I get very rusty quickly the server settings and new upgrades are clearly over my head my server folks are very limited because I am unmanged and all I was getting here was its server related and the server folks keep saying they dont see any issues...

'When you want to earn some support cash let me know what you need AIll take care of it you want server access Admin CP and site say the word...

lol

Its broke again white page only no error or code nothing ziltch

A blank white page usually means there is a PHP error that is being suppressed. There may be an error log in the main directory with your forum that you can look at. 

It it looks to me like MariaDB is at 10.3 which isn’t old. The upgrade script isn’t reading the version string properly.

Your site didn’t break for no reason, something happened.

File corruption could be one possibility, which caused by issues with the server itself (like the drive(s) going bad). 

It could also be server settings causing a problem. If PHP settings were changed or Apache or PHP updated or modified. 

You should also check your web server error logs while you try to access your site. If there are PHP or mod_security errors, you may see something there. 

I am unable to gain access to even the admin CP

Here is what I wrote to my server people I am at a total loss of my website because I followed the warnings in my invision admin cp and updated the PHP code to prevent hazardous functions as advised and also that has been disabled.

Along with updating Mysql as advised in my admin cp to maria 5.13 as high as the server software offered.

system check for upgrade checks as all ok. so I cant figure out why after I had deleted the default skin over a yr ago and installed Infraskew themes by Taman

and followed all iinstructions from both the server folks and the invision folks now im unable to even access the admin CP or get support that is way beyond my knowledge by two seperate entities that I pay so I dont have to worry about issues like this very one.

I have ten days worth of back ups and had two back ups restored today and the same result I get a php function alert in my invision software admin cp and it says install default skin and I even upgraded updated the Infraskew themes in an attempt to correct ndada in fact it locks my site up and make the front end unuseable

when I had it restored it worked ok but you cant see member profiles search the site or any of these issues...

Here is what was broken when I was able to see the site for a little while

so far I have identified all of the following and they did a database restore and site restore on the server.

1. When you land at the front page the forums are working fine...however if you click on any user name you will see the error not found.

2. Clubs is throwing issues also... click on tab and check it out

3. Activity streams are now broken

4. My slide show is actiing up Infraskew Skins blank at top at first it popped up then disappeared and stays blank now.

5. Time stamps for last post on forum page is screwed too you see template text

6.  Search forum wasnt working either

7. Right now only access is iin the adminCP

Yet I pay over a thousand dollars a yr for a hobby to run on servers I pay both sides and all I get is, its not us its them and you should pay more and have managed hosting

but I pay both of you folks cant one of you diagnose why my site is offline and look at the server andf tell me whats wrong or fix it...

Maybe Im wrong for thinking this way

and I should just accept defeat and say screw it its not worth all this to give away free jeep parts and be bled dry...by servers and software companies...

Frustrated in not the word for how I feel at this exact moment.

whats the point of server back ups if they dont work? ten days worth may as well be nothing if they dont fix the problems...

top it all off the motel Im staying at decided to update their routers two days agao and now we keep getting bumped oiffline and speeds go from very fast to nill then back...yea Im not to happy with wehats happeneing and the only answers I get from either side is here we have abucket for you to toss money at...we will catch it and your site is still going down in flames forget the 1.5 yrs you have pout post after post up and images and settings and management and cash...you can get more and we will take it.

I dont charge for any services on my site I help for free... I also dont allow ads or anything at all like that to generate cash flow nor will I ever want to...

Did you restore the default theme? Go the the themes section in the ACP, click "Add Theme". Select "Manual Mode", name it as "Default" or something, set it to be your default front end theme, then hit save. Looks like there's something in the support tool to recover it too, but I've never seen it. Head over to "Support" in the System section of the ACP, then select "Something isn't working correctly". When the results from this tool pops up, clicking the "Disable Customizations" button below will disable all apps and plugins, as well as recover the default theme. This makes you as ready as you can be for the upgrade.

Then force all members over to this theme.

image.png.4425dd0530c8258573c5a9d4cabfa79d.png

Not sure where you are in the process now. Have you restored back to a pre-upgrade backup, and it still using the old version, or are you upgraded to 4.4? 

Ignore the MySQL version requirements. The requirement script have not been updated to accept MariaDB 10.3 as being a superior version of MySQL 5.6. The tools in the ACP have been updated, and you will not be bothered by this notification in 4.4.

When I've had this sort of problem before where backups don't restore, the solution has been to create an entirely new database and restore to that. Even though the content is identical, I've twice been in positions where backups don't restore until I take that course of action. I'm not guaranteeing it will work for you but it's worth trying.

yep with regards to themes no only have I attempted to create them as default or temp or enhanced default I also bought....I also paid to upgrade the Infraskew themes since I was running four variations fo the same one I loved them...

I have informed the server folks and the invision folks that Im at witts end Im not just going to continue to pick up buckets of money and toss it at people hell I can do that in the street and actually at least see whos grabbbing it that way...

I am going to let them decide do you want me to stay a customer and continue to pay my bills and have a website or should I just save my money aggravation and wander away to drive y jeep...

I am sickened by all of this I put a lot of time into my website and only followed others had I left it alone it would still be running right now...

And now I cant roll back the

Mysql or anything and after two attempts to restore the site is worse than it has ever been cant log in cant access admin cp nothing...but wait hey toos some money here and over there and it may work...

NOPE no more for me...

Im going to grab something to eat and smoke a cig...and relax on my only day off from work... you all enjoy the rest of your weekend...

On 6/1/2019 at 6:26 PM, Mark White said:

... my server folks are very limited because I am unmanged ...

You do understand what it means when you have an "unmanaged" server? They don't support anything that happens on the inside of the server, unless you pay them extra to do so. 

In this case Invision Community supports the community software, and nothing outside of that. Your server people manage the network, and maybe the hardware on the server. Depends on whether it's a dedicated or a VPS. And you manage the server software, or you pay someone to do that for you. Either your server host, or someone 3rd party like @ASTRAPI.

Archived