Mark Topic

Hi all,

I apologize for not being available in a while. I have submitted a new version (2.0.1) with support for Invision Community 4.6 and a few bug fixes, and hopefully the new version will be approved shortly.

I have also decided to make the application completely free. The reason for this is that I want as many people as possible to use it, but also that I need to make other priorities. I will, however, be better at replying and providing support than I have been this year.

While we wait for the new version to be approved, please let me know (especially @James101 and @livegames.co.il) any issues you currently have, or features you would like to see, and I will do my best to fix them and implement them as quickly as possible!

Hi, looking forward to seeing the 4.6 version of this. It looks extremely useful.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting a feature when I haven't even installed the existing version! – Any chance of making the flags viewable only by particular groups – as well as designating particular groups who are allowed to place the market in the first place.

Thanks

4 hours ago, BankFodder said:

Hi, looking forward to seeing the 4.6 version of this. It looks extremely useful.

Thank you, and I look forward to having you as a user!

4 hours ago, BankFodder said:

I hope you don't mind me suggesting a feature when I haven't even installed the existing version! – Any chance of making the flags viewable only by particular groups – as well as designating particular groups who are allowed to place the market in the first place.

It's already possible to limit (designate) which groups are allowed to mark a topic with a marker (place the marker), and you can even let different groups use different markers in the same forum! 🙂

Regarding limiting who can view the marker, that’s actually not a bad idea and won’t require too much work. I’ll take a look at it after 2.0.1 is released!

Hi @runnar

I hope this message finds you well.

• Today staff cant unmark topics; only admin can.
  • Today the guests can't view the marks.
  • User mark statistic's will we be huge added value for the app. (widget)
  • Maybe to add "Are u sure" button when marking. ( a lot of user marks by mistake on mobile) 

Thank you.

Edited by livegames.co.il
24 minutes ago, livegames.co.il said:

I hope this message finds you well.

Hi again! I hope everything is good.

25 minutes ago, livegames.co.il said:
  • Today staff cant unmark topics; only admin can.
  • Today the guests can't view the marks.
  • User mark statistic's will we be huge added value for the app. (widget)
  • Maybe to add "Are u sure" button when marking. ( a lot of user marks by mistake on mobile) 

Your first two points are hopefully fixed in the new version awaiting release. I haven’t been able to reproduce the first one, but I’ve made some changes to code that might be related.

Statistics is on my list but will be a bit more work, but your last point (confirmation before marking) should be easy to implement. I’ll take a look when the new version is out!

Thanks a lot for the great plugin, much appreciated. May I ask a quick question? Does it support 4.6? I saw it as a new release but it says that it only supports 4.5. Maybe the 4.6 compatibility was not marked when uploaded @Runar

When I search for mark topic on my ACP, it won't show up. It seems that it's only displaying tools that are compatible with 4.6 and since the plugin is tagged for 4.5, it won't show up 😞

Edited by OptimusBain
6 minutes ago, OptimusBain said:

Thanks a lot for the great plugin, much appreciated. May I ask a quick question? Does it support 4.6? I saw it as a new release but it says that it only supports 4.5. Maybe the 4.6 compatibility was not marked when uploaded @Runar

When I search for mark topic on my ACP, it won't show up. It seems that it's only displaying tools that are compatible with 4.6 and since the plugin is tagged for 4.5, it won't show up 😞

It wasn’t reviewed yet. There’s a really huge backlog from over the holidays which we’re cleaning up slowly. 

2 hours ago, Daniel F said:

It wasn’t reviewed yet. There’s a really huge backlog from over the holidays which we’re cleaning up slowly. 

How many life size “Daniel F” gingerbread men did we agree on to let me jump to the front of the queue?

Just kidding, keep up the good work and enjoy the rest of the holidays!

36 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

Sorry, that was the wrong question, I'm not a fan of gingerbread🤷‍♂️😂

The new version was just approved, so I guess you interpreting it as a threat was more effective. Thanks! 😁

Edited by Runar

It seems to work very well.

In the "community" tab in the admin CP done at the bottom there is "markers".

The settings are there. You can set which groups you want to be able to mark – and other than that everybody can see the markers.

You can mark or unmark – and you can designate a range of different markers.

So already here is a feature request –

Any chance that if a thread is marked, a notification can be sent to the owner of the thread telling them what has happened – marked or unmarked and what kind of marker

Edited by BankFodder

And here are two more feature requests.

First of all, in designating the groups who can apply the markers, might it be possible simply to set it generally so there is a default rather than having to alter each new marker when it is made.

Secondly – and much more useful – would it be possible to be able to search on the marker. So where the various search criteria are such as topics, this forum, et cetera – could add search on "marker" and then say which marker you want to search on

13 hours ago, BankFodder said:

It seems to work very well.

In the "community" tab in the admin CP done at the bottom there is "markers".

The settings are there. You can set which groups you want to be able to mark – and other than that everybody can see the markers.

You can mark or unmark – and you can designate a range of different markers.

So already here is a feature request –

Any chance that if a thread is marked, a notification can be sent to the owner of the thread telling them what has happened – marked or unmarked and what kind of marker

But it looks like that if the forum manager has no full admin permissions, he cants unmark other marks. only full admin can do it.
I think the permission of mark or unmark or both needs to be per group.
For example, if I want regular users to mark but not be able to unmark their mark, I cant.

Edited by livegames.co.il

What’s new in version 2.0.1:

The application is now officially supported on Invision Community 4.6. This was an administrative change, and no changes were needed in the actual code. Another administrative change is that the application is now completely free. More information about this can be found in this post from a few days ago.

The new version also contains a few bug fixes. A more detailed changelog follows below:

Improvements

• Simplified options related to unmarking a topic, if the topic will be unlocked when unmarked.

Fixes

• Fixed the mark/unmark topic button being visible to guests on topics where the author was deleted.
  • Fixed all markers in a forum being visible to everyone, even when some markers were limited to certain member groups.
  • Fixed marker badges not being visible for members not permitted to use the marker.
  • Simplified permission checks, in an attempt to fix reported issues with permissions.
On 12/31/2021 at 7:13 PM, BankFodder said:

This is already supported, and notifications should be sent automatically without any configuration. Have you tried marking a topic but didn’t receive a notification?

23 hours ago, BankFodder said:

First of all, in designating the groups who can apply the markers, might it be possible simply to set it generally so there is a default rather than having to alter each new marker when it is made.

Good idea! The default is that all groups can use the markers, but I’ll add an option to change this from the settings.

23 hours ago, BankFodder said:

Secondly – and much more useful – would it be possible to be able to search on the marker. So where the various search criteria are such as topics, this forum, et cetera – could add search on "marker" and then say which marker you want to search on

I think I understand what you mean, and I’ll see if it’s possible. I’ll add it to the list of possible future features.

3 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Thanks for all of this – and no I haven't tried it out so I don't know about the notifications. As it didn't seem to be mentioned in the list of features, I assumed it didn't exist.

I see I need to make a few changes to the description, thanks for making me aware!

14 hours ago, livegames.co.il said:

But it looks like that if the forum manager has no full admin permissions, he cants unmark other marks. only full admin can do it.
I think the permission of mark or unmark or both needs to be per group.
For example, if I want regular users to mark but not be able to unmark their mark, I cant.

I’ve made two flow charts to better illustrate how it’s currently decided if a member can mark or unmark a topic.

Mark a topic:

Mark.thumb.png.c58679b0da5e69a8877d8593f80073a2.png

Unmark a topic:

Unmark.thumb.png.4bf36858e35f450b4f5ae9ca9f889ea1.png

A few notes to the charts:

• The moderator permissions seems to not be working (there is no place to actually give moderator groups the required permissions). This is a bug and will be fixed shortly.

• For the moment, to prevent a normal member from unlocking a topic, you need to lock the topic when marked, unlock it when unmarked, and disable “Allow anyone to unmark the topic?”. Please note all three settings in the picture below:

image.thumb.png.a3db230bb2bacd6f78b79caf2bf8f123.png

By doing this, only administrators (and soon, as intended, moderators) will be allowed to unmark a topic. It will, however, lock the topic so normal members can’t reply.

I’ll look into adding another option (which groups can unmark topics), so you don’t have to lock a topic to prevent normal members from unmarking it, if this will help your case!

41 minutes ago, BankFodder said:I don't altogether understand where locking/unlocking the topic came in

It’s possible to automatically lock or unlock a topic when it’s marked or unmarked, by configuring the options under the “Lock/Unlock Topic” tab. This may restrict normal members from unmarking a topic, if the topic is locked.

16 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Here's what I've configured so far:

That looks good, and I’m very happy to hear you find the application useful! Just a quick note, though I’m sure you’re already aware: for the moment, everyone, including normal members, can see if a topic is marked or not and see the specific marker, even if only some groups have permission to use the markers.

The next update will make it possible to only show the markers to some groups. This will allow you to make markers for internal use only.

Pixar Movie GIF by Walt Disney Studios

Some suggestions:

• There's no need for the Uninstall Extension because they're going to be automatically removed as long as they're correctly associated with the app.
  • The part inside marktopic_hook_code_forums_modules_front_topic::manage would probably be better suited inside Topic::_setBreadcrumbAndTitle . Keep in mind that people could have more then one app/plugin with a hook overriding or adjusting the title.
  • I would probably also use a better(unique) name for the _sendNotification method which is added to the existing class via a hook to not have to worry about any other plugin or we at IPS adding a method with the same name;)
  • Same with the _deleteOldNotifications method.

TBH, I would probably even move the 2 methods ( and everything else what's called inside the methods which are called direct via an action like the _checkAndSaveMarker method into the Topic Item class instead of the controller! 

8 hours ago, Daniel F said:

Some suggestions:

Thank you for taking your time to make these suggestions! The first four should be easy to implement, and I will take some time to better understand the last one regarding moving some methods to the Topic Item class.