How To Leave A Community?

Vegan Gaymer

I have had a couple of people ask to leave my community recently for personal reasons and they can't find a way to do it. I know I can delete their accounts or ban them, but does someone just have a simple option to opt out from the community? Is there a setting I need to activate? Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Vegan Gaymer said:

I have had a couple of people ask to leave my community recently for personal reasons and they can't find a way to do it. I know I can delete their accounts or ban them, but does someone just have a simple option to opt out from the community? Is there a setting I need to activate? Thanks!

They could just leave and not log back in.... 

There is this on the marketplace though. Says not available for purchase but maybe @Faqole can update it or whatever

14 hours ago, Joy Rex said:

Considering GDPR and increasing focus on privacy/right to be forgotten, I am surprised there isn't a proactive way for users to unregister (and wipe their data) built into the suite.

The regulations don't require an automated way for this to happen (but do require the administrator to follow through with a request, if received).

21 hours ago, Vegan Gaymer said:

I get some of these requests every once in awhile too (why they would ever want to leave as fabulous a community as mine is beyond me LOL).  

You can tell them to adjust their Notification settings to disable all of the email notifications.  That's usually what bothers them the most, so that's always my first line of defense to retain them.  

If they reply want to cancel or delete, there are some options in the Marketplace or you can manually process from the ACP.  

Just now, Joel R said:

I get some of these requests every once in awhile too (why they would ever want to leave as fabulous a community as mine is beyond me LOL).  

You can tell them to adjust their Notification settings to disable all of the email notifications.  That's usually what bothers them the most, so that's always my first line of defense to retain them.  

If they reply want to cancel or delete, there are some options in the Marketplace or you can manually process from the ACP.  

100% agree with the first line!

As for the reasoning, two people have said that they mostly use a mobile platform and that our community is just not a mobile-friendly platform so they just stick to using our complementary facebook groups. For me, I find it to be pretty easy, but they are right... it's not a mobile-friendly platform, in general, for the average user. I've tried using third party themes to help counter this, but it's still daunting to a lot of people.  I should start a new thread asking for best themes/suggestions for improving the mobile version of the site.

3 hours ago, bfarber said:

The regulations don't require an automated way for this to happen (but do require the administrator to follow through with a request, if received).

That was my point - because there is a responsibility on the admin to adhere to those requests, having a way for users to self-delete (with a note to the admin) should be part of the software to reduce chance of the admin missing such a request.

4 hours ago, Joy Rex said:

having a way for users to self-delete (with a note to the admin) should be part of the software

Yes. But it has been debated and shot down for years. There are endless discussions about this already. There is hardly any chance it won’t happen. But at least Adriano’s file does the trick. 

14 minutes ago, David T. Cole said:

Automated post deletion is dangerous on IPB.

That comes up every time people ask for account deletion, but it is irrelevant and no one in this topic asked about this aspect of it. 
All people ask is having a function for users to self-initiate the delete function that is already in the ACP. Of course it would be the admin’s job to set or grant options how the deletion works, just like they do it now. And this includes the option to keep all content. 

38 minutes ago, David T. Cole said:

but thanks for dictating what's relevant.

I’m sorry for being pedantic about this point, but like I said: I had this discussion many many times on this forum and every time we have logical fallacies and useless side discussions which muddy the water and distract from the actual feature request. 

Again: the deletion function with all its features does already exists in the ACP and as a staff member pointed out, users can request to have admins perform this action. It’s even a legal requirement in the EU as hinted at by Joy Rex. So a self-initiation option for account deletion does NOT introduce any new issues that hadn’t already been there before. So we do not need to debate account deletion by itself, when the actual request is just about self-initiating this process. This is a matter of logic. It’s not me who is “dictating” what is irrelevant to this — it’s the objective logic I just outlined. 
Sure, nothing wrong with reminding people about what happens when accounts get deleted. I didn’t wanna criticize that reminder specifically. Sorry! But I hate to see the discussion of self-initiating an account deletion taken over by other issues over and over again. It’s frustrating.  

And about the argument “just don’t visit the site anymore”. Everyone should go to Have I been Pwned sometime and check the email addresses they have been using over the years. It’s a pretty good reason to leave websites for good and not have your data lingering there, waiting be hacked once and then being used by spammers and hackers for years to come. Who had a vBulletin account in 2015? I had … (and that is one of 13 major breaches with that same email address of mine)

1754379887_Bildschirmfoto2019-03-13um21_49_01.thumb.png.3c505f5748e7c9954d8719ebd5fbc662.png

21 hours ago, opentype said:

I’m sorry for being pedantic about this point, but like I said: I had this discussion many many times on this forum and every time we have logical fallacies and useless side discussions which muddy the water and distract from the actual feature request. 

Again: the deletion function with all its features does already exists in the ACP and as a staff member pointed out, users can request to have admins perform this action. It’s even a legal requirement in the EU as hinted at by Joy Rex. So a self-initiation option for account deletion does NOT introduce any new issues that hadn’t already been there before. So we do not need to debate account deletion by itself, when the actual request is just about self-initiating this process. This is a matter of logic. It’s not me who is “dictating” what is irrelevant to this — it’s the objective logic I just outlined. 
Sure, nothing wrong with reminding people about what happens when accounts get deleted. I didn’t wanna criticize that reminder specifically. Sorry! But I hate to see the discussion of self-initiating an account deletion taken over by other issues over and over again. It’s frustrating.  

And about the argument “just don’t visit the site anymore”. Everyone should go to Have I been Pwned sometime and check the email addresses they have been using over the years. It’s a pretty good reason to leave websites for good and not have your data lingering there, waiting be hacked once and then being used by spammers and hackers for years to come. Who had a vBulletin account in 2015? I had … (and that is one of 13 major breaches with that same email address of mine)

1754379887_Bildschirmfoto2019-03-13um21_49_01.thumb.png.3c505f5748e7c9954d8719ebd5fbc662.png

If you've had 13 data breaches, how do we know you are who you say you are?? 

black think about it GIF by Identity

Archived