Secondary groups

marklcfc

If I set a secondary group with different permissions, should those permissions take over the primary group? I tried it, but it didn't work. I wanted to restrict a member from posting in a certain forum without changing the primary group.

Not sure what the point of the secondary group is if it won't allow me this.

• 4 weeks later...

Just been looking into this myself, would be nice to have more control over members individual permissions. Mark above wants to prevent a user positing in a specific forum, I have a users which I want to disable ads as they purchased lifetime ad removal which I’m no longer offering and prevent specific users being able to report posts as they can’t grasp the idea you don’t report posts you don’t agree with. 

Just create a new usergroup? I’ve done that, but I would rather not have ad free or report restricted under their profile pictures on the forum so because I keep the same “Members” title for the extra groups, but now when filtering user groups say in the online list I now have 3 instances of Members.

When creating new adverts it can also be a pain having to figure out which member group shouldn’t be selected.

It’s a shame secondary user groups don’t override all permissions that are different to the primary usergroup, wouldn’t that still work as intended but have more control over problematic members?

BCC1B18C-9770-4CD0-861F-587D89A82B6F.thumb.jpeg.c7d57bb9a1ebd0c72cd2fdbeb94b1267.jpeg

A7B11F5A-F937-4C11-A430-5BEB3DD75F81.thumb.jpeg.1718b6c4c23ede22bffb5d225646eb21.jpeg

22 hours ago, dayh said:

It’s a shame secondary user groups don’t override all permissions that are different to the primary usergroup, wouldn’t that still work as intended but have more control over problematic members?

That was able to be done in earlier versions of IPS by simply overriding one member's permission mask with another; but gone the permissions masks, gone that possibility as well. Maybe that's an idea for a third party plugin that overrides one group with another?

23 hours ago, dayh said:

Just been looking into this myself, would be nice to have more control over members individual permissions. Mark above wants to prevent a user positing in a specific forum, I have a users which I want to disable ads as they purchased lifetime ad removal which I’m no longer offering and prevent specific users being able to report posts as they can’t grasp the idea you don’t report posts you don’t agree with. 

Just create a new usergroup? I’ve done that, but I would rather not have ad free or report restricted under their profile pictures on the forum so because I keep the same “Members” title for the extra groups, but now when filtering user groups say in the online list I now have 3 instances of Members.

When creating new adverts it can also be a pain having to figure out which member group shouldn’t be selected.

BCC1B18C-9770-4CD0-861F-587D89A82B6F.thumb.jpeg.c7d57bb9a1ebd0c72cd2fdbeb94b1267.jpeg

A7B11F5A-F937-4C11-A430-5BEB3DD75F81.thumb.jpeg.1718b6c4c23ede22bffb5d225646eb21.jpeg

You can hide a group from being displayed in the frontend. Wouldn’t this work for you? 

On 1/22/2019 at 9:34 AM, opentype said:

It wont work like that. The positive/higher value wins. If one of the groups he is in has a permission set to “yes”, the result will be “yes”. If one of the groups has a value of 50 and one has a value of 100, the 100 will win. 

On 1/22/2019 at 9:46 AM, Daniel F said:

Well, it's depending on the setting.Usually the higher number wins, except for some wait times. The lower number will win in settings like search, flood check and the download wait time .

I can put both of these simply (I think) , you generally get the 'best' set of permissions if you have primary and secondary groups. By this I mean the most access and the least restrictions. 🙂

A compare and diff report between permissions and an effective permission, would be very helpful. 

MEMBER |   SECONDARY 1  |  SECONDARY 2 |  EFFECTIVE

Permission A          No             No        Yes      Yes
Permission B          Yes           Yes        No       Yes
Setting Size            300px      300px   200px  300px
Show Ad                 Yes           Yes        No        Yes

Perhaps a setting on the group if the permissions can be restrictive

MEMBER |   SECONDARY 1  |  SECONDARY 2 (±) |  EFFECTIVE

Permission A          No             No        Yes      Yes
Permission B          Yes           Yes        No       No
Setting Size            300px      300px   300px  300px
Show Ad                 Yes           Yes        No        No

Haven't had my full cuppa coffee so may not be entirely awake to make my case