Guest spam

Owdy

You may not be able to stop spam at the time of posting but there are ways to help you manage it:

- Word Filters - place certain keywords on your watchlist and make them go into moderation queue for approval

- Community Moderation - set threshold rules in the Automated Community Moderation to let users help you report spam posts

- Language tools like Spam Prevention Feature by @Fosters

On 8/27/2018 at 8:27 PM, Joel R said:

- Word Filters - place certain keywords on your watchlist and make them go into moderation queue for approval 

This Works perfectly, because spam is english and we speak Finnish. 

On 8/27/2018 at 7:59 AM, bfarber said:

The spam service runs for registrations, so it won't do anything for guest commenting.

If you allow guests to post, you will get spam. No, there really isn't much you can do about this. I recommend requiring users to register if they wish to comment.

Yeah, I can't imagine letting guests post on forums these days. 

I use CleanTalk, which screens members against their database before they can complete the registration process.  I also have a single question (forum subject related) that has to be answered.  And I manually validate members, as spammers still get through CleanTalk and the question.  Now, this is on my 3.x board.  I have another forum running 4.3.x, which is using Invision's spam service and no other preventative measures, aside from email validation, and I haven't had any bots register yet.  However, the forum is less than two weeks old, so we'll see what happens.  I'm sure I'll need to be more proactive as the forum gains more traction. 

..Al

I'm running a current (4.3.5) complete suite (sans Nexus) and have never had a single issue with spam.  Using @Adriano Faria's free Member Logs app I can see that dozens and dozens of spammers try to log in, but to no avail.

Also, to agree with a couple of previously-mentioned points:

• if you allow guests to post, you're really inviting spam (if not worse in this day and age).  Fact of the 21st century, sadly.
  • I can't imagine running an Invision 3.x board in this day and age either.  Just sayin'... 🙂

1 minute ago, liquidfractal said:
  • I can't imagine running an Invision 3.x board in this day and age either.  Just sayin'... 🙂

It's a large and busy board with over 4,000,000 posts and 1,000 people active at any given time during the day.  I have a custom skin that will need to be redone for 4.x and I have various mods I will need to redo for 4.x, such as the ability to give indefinite editing permission to specific posts and to give entire forums (such as Marketplace forums) indefinite editing capabilities.  Emails sent to the forum admin when certain keywords are used in a post.  And other oddball things where I modified the code directly.  Plus, I did a test conversion once already and it took over a week for everything to convert, which is not really acceptable and I'm extremely disappointed in that entire process.  Also, I was waiting for third-party search support, since I'm running Sphinx in 3.4.x.  There is now Elasticsearch support, so that's at least taken care of.  🙂 

The new board I'm running on 4.3.5 is giving me a chance to become familiar with the differences versus 3.x.  I've already done some preparation for 4.x, such as moving MySQL to its own server on a machine with 64GB of RAM.  I plan on doing it soon. 

..Al

22 minutes ago, AtariAge said:

It's a large and busy board with over 4,000,000 posts and 1,000 people active at any given time during the day.  I have a custom skin that will need to be redone for 4.x and I have various mods I will need to redo for 4.x, such as the ability to give indefinite editing permission to specific posts and to give entire forums (such as Marketplace forums) indefinite editing capabilities.  Emails sent to the forum admin when certain keywords are used in a post.  And other oddball things where I modified the code directly.  Plus, I did a test conversion once already and it took over a week for everything to convert, which is not really acceptable and I'm extremely disappointed in that entire process.  Also, I was waiting for third-party search support, since I'm running Sphinx in 3.4.x.  There is now Elasticsearch support, so that's at least taken care of.  🙂 

The new board I'm running on 4.3.5 is giving me a chance to become familiar with the differences versus 3.x.  I've already done some preparation for 4.x, such as moving MySQL to its own server on a machine with 64GB of RAM.  I plan on doing it soon. 

..Al

Not to hijack the thread but: dude, I can't even imagine the process of upgrading a board like that, especially given that you've modified the code yourself!  🙂 Sounds like you've got a handle on it, which is way ahead of others here in the past who have posted "why don't you still support 3.x? Why do I have to enter the 21st century?" etc.

You might already have thought of this, but have you considered your own VPS?  I'd also recommend Kevin Carwile's Rules app for creating email-related rules for keywords, etc.

Good luck! 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Archived