There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200

Arthmoor

I’m trying to find the common thread with @Arthmoor , Do you use memcache?

In other this this -200 error ...

This is absolutely destroying my site.  Got this message today from my BEST contributor.  How long before my best contributor gives up and moves on to another site?
I am not the only game in town, but for now I am the biggest problem in town.

upload fail.JPG

I wanted to share the latest solve information that was communicated today.

The upload_max_filesize value was lowered to 100M which hopefully will resolve issue.

Here is a quote from IPS

With such high values as you originally had, the software believes it can upload the entire file and do everything else it needs to do it one request, and this caused you to go over some sort of limit (possibly an nginx configuration limit for instance). By lowering the max upload size to 100M, the upload process knows it needs to "chunk" the 580MB file into multiple upload requests, which results in the entire process staying below your limits.

On 6/9/2018 at 5:48 PM, AlexWebsites said:

Are you using an external storage source for downloads like Amazon S3 or other CDN?  

No. All local storage on the server.

On 6/9/2018 at 6:11 PM, Woodsman said:

If you are allowed to do this on your own or try getting your host to change these lines in the php.ini file.

post_max_size = 8M
upload_max_filesize = 2M

to (around)

post_max_size = 80M
upload_max_filesize = 200M

Those settings are both currently set to 2GB because we allow uploads up to that size and they got blocked prior to 4.3.3 if they weren't set that high. They still are, and 4.3.3 is blocking the uploads anyway.

12 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

No. All local storage on the server.

Those settings are both currently set to 2GB because we allow uploads up to that size and they got blocked prior to 4.3.3 if they weren't set that high. They still are, and 4.3.3 is blocking the uploads anyway.

Try lowering upload_max_filesize value to 100M

I know lower sounds like the wrong direction but IPS is using code to upload in chunks. (https://www.plupload.com/  if I am not mistaken)

Give it a try.

EDIT: confirmed here

I would recommend if you are using local file storage to use reasonable file upload limits (such as 100MB). As mentioned above, this will force the upload to move in "chunks" (e.g. 100MB at a time) and then the file "put together" once finished. This definitely helps stay below limits.

It's important to remember that Apache nginx also have limits beyond PHP which can impact large uploads, so you may be hitting those. Rather than mess with your webserver configuration though, this "trick" suggested here should solve your issue (if you are using something like S3 for file storage, however, that behaves differently).

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2018 at 3:21 AM, Xenboy said:

The -200 error could be caused by a wide variety of issues

I was running into this yesterday with some files and not others, regardless of file sizes. In my case I think it was related to non-standard characters (trailing underscore before the .jpg, for instance) or even blank spaces in the file names. I stripped out all of that stuff to simplify the file names and was then able to upload files that previously wouldn't go.

1 minute ago, Peter L McCormick said:

I was running into this yesterday with some files and not others, regardless of file sizes. In my case I think it was related to non-standard characters (trailing underscore before the .jpg, for instance) or even blank spaces in the file names. I stripped out all of that stuff to simplify the file names and was then able to upload files that previously wouldn't go.

Submit those files to IPS for them to investigate.  

I regularly upload files (even last night) with spaces and underscores in my filenames.  

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, bern5 said:

im getting this issue? any fix as yet

There is no single fix, since it doesn’t point to a single problem. It basically just says “something went wrong during the upload”.

You might want to open a ticket to narrow down what might go wrong. 

• 4 months later...
On 8/8/2018 at 5:37 AM, bern5 said:

i have  a ticket open as well - my users didnt have this before i upgraded to 4,3,3 now i am on 4.3.5 and still not working

im using imagemagick, memory is 512, upload size 128M max upload 128M

Are you using Cloudflare?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @SJ77, now where didya get that info from 😛

For those of you stuck on this, it's a dance between various settings. The *main* one is upload_max_filesize. 2MB to 10MB is where you probably want it to be, approximately.

Now I get it, it seems counter-intuitive - you have large files to upload after all. The problem is you are trying to jack the entire file, or at least super large bits of it, up at once. This ends up either hitting the Cloudflare 100MG limit (which might get hit even if you set stuff a little lower than that like 99MG or whatever), or, most of the time, you are silently timing out on the PHP process through your other settings.

IPS uploads use the upload helper, and that's everywhere really. That helper, as explained earlier, chunks large uploads, sticking bits of them up at a time. Works great, but you have to let it get to work, and it doesn't take into account whether or not your server settings will time out or its a slow server or the server is fine but you have a ton of traffic and users - it just wants to know at what size breakpoint do I stop the upload, save what's uploaded, and then continue on from there (IPS mentions the variables used to calc this earlier in the thread - read back)

Make sure your max_execution_time is not some stupid low number and you have an adequate amount of memory allocated to memory_limit. post_max_size should be larger than upload_max_filesize as well.

When you let the upload helper chunk the file at lower sizes, thats a continuous pulse of php processes and data writes, not one GIGANTIC pile of php memory, processing, and data writing in one SINGLE go that may or may not blow your process time limit out, your php memory out, conflict with a heavy server load, or whatever.

You have to let the uploads breathe a little. 

Archived