Argh Spammers

AmericanRev2

There really has been no changes to the Spam Defense service. Please keep in mind with any spam prevention, it is not 100% effective. As with the nature of the internet there are human and machine equivalents to spam which can get past the Spam Defense and CAPTCHA. In addition to the Spam Defense service and CAPTCHA, we recommend setting up and utilizing several Question and Answer challenges that would be specific to your niche. This way only users interested in your community will be able to register. (it may be worth changing the Q/A challenge up every now and again as like as I said there are humans too that are smart and resourceful)

If you have these in place and still encountering spam, please feel free to submit a ticket and we can see if there is any suggestions we can provide you.

It's not uncommon for new "waves" of spammers to come every once in a while (maybe twice a year), and it takes a little time for the spam service to recognize these new spammers. Your best option is to simply flag spammers when you find them and move along. Let the software report that to us, and remove all their content in one go.

1. You should still review your spam logs to see what spam level they hit, and to review your spam settings.  Send in an IPS support ticket if you're not sure what you're doing.  

2. Make sure you deploy the full suite of anti-spam tools at your disposal including custom Q&A challenges unique to your community, captcha, and group permissions.  

21 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I have no spammers on my main site. I have over 11k members.

I use:

• IPS Spam defense
  • Q&A
  • A required field users need to fill in indicating their occupation as it relates to the field
  • User and admin verification.

Also, I block hotmail, I only got spammers from them.

Archived