Activity area on profiles

Hunter Lyons

I think it's a tad redundant to show all potential category types on a user's profile. Instead, it should just show category types they have used. This would make it much more easy to find their content.

1.PNG

There's alllll of those categories on my profile. But I haven't posted in 90% of them. In fact I can't post on some, ie News. It'd make it much easier for people to, for example, look at my forum posts by just hiding the categories which I have not done anything in. 

Edit: Also, is there any reason status updates are disabled by default? I'm not sure that's a good idea. Many of my users never use status updates because they think they can't.

• Management

I agree with you in theory, but it shows all of those links because it would be resource intensive to poll every single section of the suite to determine if that member has posted in that particular section. 

I'm not sure, but... Perhaps an idea would be-

Every user would have a field like "Profile Activity Areas" in MySQL. When they first post to something, it also adds that category to that field.

So it'd be like "forumPosts, fileReviews" etc slowly added in as the user uses different areas of the site.Then on their activity area it just checks that line in MySQL and loads the appropriate categories. Maybe?

Archived