(TB) Bump Up Topics

Thanks for updating this to support 4.1.x

Is it possible to make it so bumped topics appear in the unread activity stream? This seems to bump the thread to the latest posting, but it doesn't make it seem unread so users who don't really browse the community but only stick to the activity streams will still just overlook it.

Edited by Koby
2 minutes ago, Koby said:

Thanks for updating this to support 4.1.x

Is it possible to make it so bumped topics appear in the unread activity stream? This seems to bump the thread to the latest posting, but it doesn't make it seem unread so users who don't really browse the community but only stick to the activity streams will still just overlook it.

I actually coded this plugin on 4.0 but by the time I released it 4.1 was already out :p

I will look into the activity stream update and see if it is something I can add :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, JiigSaaw said:

Thanks for htis mod, but I've a question, how is this working ? Bumping a topic create a ghost answer to replace topic position in forums ? (crazy example)

1 hour ago, Adriano Faria said:

If it is like on IP.Board 3, it will update the last post date, thus it will appear first on forum view.

What he said, the plugin works by updating the last post value for the topic and thus bumping it up in forum view. It also of course marks it as unread for anyone else, that's because the last post time value after a "bump" is greater than the users last read stored time value.

Edited by teraßyte

Looks like you already have a column with that name in your database. Did you have an older version of the bump up topic modification installed on 3.x? I remember adding a check for that but maybe I need to change how it works.

Or did you simply update from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1?

Edited by teraßyte
30 minutes ago, Fatal Resort said:

I think I might have installed an older version a while back, but I uninstalled it since it didn't seem to work (assuming because it was outdated at the time?) o-o

Could you PM me an admin & FTP account for your forum so that I can take a look? I can't duplicate locally. Or if you have an account on my site submit a support ticket in the client area.

Either way works :)

7 minutes ago, teraßyte said:

Could you PM me an admin & FTP account for your forum so that I can take a look? I can't duplicate locally. Or if you have an account on my site submit a support ticket in the client area.

Either way works :)

It's not within my power to give an admin account or FTP access, I'm not the main administrator of the forum.

I myself don't even have access to the FTP lol. Only have access to the full ACP :unsure: 

It's fine though, but if you do happen to find a way to fix the problem and are able to provide steps on how to fix it. I could just ask him to do it.

3 minutes ago, Fatal Resort said:

It's not within my power to give an admin account or FTP access, I'm not the main administrator of the forum.

I myself don't even have access to the FTP lol. Only have access to the full ACP :unsure: 

It's fine though, but if you do happen to find a way to fix the problem and are able to provide steps on how to fix it. I could just ask him to do it.

Oh, okay then. I'll try a few other ways locally to see if I can reproduce. If I can't find anything I'll try to guide you on how to debug through PMs.

8 minutes ago, motomac said:

What if user leaves a message in the topic? Will it be bumped too? If yes, users can cheat in this way.

Yes. The bump plugin is simply to avoid useless replies with only "bump", or "up". It is commonly used in marketplace sections to bump own sell/buy topics for example.

A reply to the topic will "bump" it as it usually does in any forum. Rather I'm confused by you asking this question, unless I misunderstood what you're asking? :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Can you make this to work with the Recent topics widget?

This widget (linked above) creates a list of the topics recently replied to, that updates in real time.

On IPB 3, the hook for bumping topics would place the bumped topics in the recent topics list, not just bring them up in their respective forums. Your modification doesn't do that.

My modifications works in the same way as it did in 3.4, to be completely sure of what exactly is going on I would have to take a look at the code of that widget though. And I have no access to it since it is a paid one.

If you get permission from the widget author to provide me the code I can certainly take a look at it at least :)

12 hours ago, Knight22 said:

Hey @teraßyte

Following Situation: User waits until the (1 day) from the last bump limit is over. If the user tries to bump his topic he gets the message that he have to wait another day (5,759 minutes). If I set the last post limit (1 week) to unlimited the push works. 

Regards
Knight

You mean the setting "Last post limit"? Just to double-check, which number did you use in there? And that number did you change it to after?

On 2/15/2016 at 6:25 PM, teraßyte said:

My modifications works in the same way as it did in 3.4, to be completely sure of what exactly is going on I would have to take a look at the code of that widget though. And I have no access to it since it is a paid one.

If you get permission from the widget author to provide me the code I can certainly take a look at it at least :)

@zbahadir, would you be willing to provide teraßyte with the code for your Recent Topics widget?

As I see the plugin use is very limited. 'Bumped' topic is highlighted as unread in forum view only:

7B1T.jpg2g3V.jpg

But it is unseen in default 'Post Feed' & 'Topic Feed' widgets and activity streams. And they are the only important places to see updates :hmm:

Am I right or plugin just behaves in abnormal way on IPB 4.1.8.1?

BTW here is Russian translation of user part of interface:YLLh.jpg

Also attached as Excel file.

Edited by Safety1st
added translation