Limit post size

Kirill N

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello I would actually like to place the limit myself. I have a writing website, so I need my members to be able to write lengthy replies and use lots of characters, but I too wish to have a limit. Is there no setting for this?

• 4 months later...

As someone who also has a writing site, I couldn't help but wonder: what about an option which automatically took forums posts over a certain length and featured them as a blog entry in the Member's blog (if it exists) or blog X or article category X or whatever?

I could see this as an option alongside ultimate character/word limits.

A word (and character, maybe) counter would be great. I tried to implement this via CKEditor but, uh, it's fair to say that is easily my least favourite part of IPS right now. I mean, for a writing-heavy community it's just... it's bad.

With a counter you could at least provide a limit from which point the colour of the numbers changes to let the member know they're going long. There are just a number of options with this kind of thing, even if you don't have a hard limit enforced.

5 hours ago, Simon Woods said:

A word (and character, maybe) counter would be great. I tried to implement this via CKEditor but, uh, it's fair to say that is easily my least favourite part of IPS right now. I mean, for a writing-heavy community it's just... it's bad.

I agree.  I mean, maybe it's a bit of a pipe-dream to bend the general will of IPS to a more writerly concern, but I would love to see a native editor configuration that had things like word-count, footnotes, not to mention (and this is a big pipe-dream) an editor where one could drag-and-drop images into a granular position in your document and rearrange it in a window with responsive text, tables and other objects (InDesign style, I suppose).  sigh...

On 11/1/2016 at 6:33 AM, isea said:

Hello I would actually like to place the limit myself. I have a writing website, so I need my members to be able to write lengthy replies and use lots of characters, but I too wish to have a limit. Is there no setting for this?

Not currently, no.

On 3/29/2017 at 11:06 PM, liquidfractal said:

I agree.  I mean, maybe it's a bit of a pipe-dream to bend the general will of IPS to a more writerly concern, but I would love to see a native editor configuration that had things like word-count, footnotes, not to mention (and this is a big pipe-dream) an editor where one could drag-and-drop images into a granular position in your document and rearrange it in a window with responsive text, tables and other objects (InDesign style, I suppose).  sigh...

Not currently, no.

I definitely encourage you to browse the plugins of CKEditor :).  Word counter and footnotes are both *maybe* available (I say maybe because they are available but I haven't checked the versioning or server requirements. But they exist!)

On 3/30/2017 at 7:17 AM, SeNioR- said:

Stop words like "cool" "super" 

I agree.

IPS includes word filters as a feature.

2 hours ago, Joel R said:

I definitely encourage you to browse the plugins of CKEditor :).  Word counter and footnotes are both *maybe* available (I say maybe because they are available but I haven't checked the versioning or server requirements. But they exist!)

Thanks @Joel R (and all your clones, judging from the @ menu ^_^).  I do have the Footnotes plugin installed on my CKEditor, but I guess my fear is always that support will cease and I'll be left in the lurch in terms of compatibility with future releases, which is why my pipe dream is to have it natively supported by IPS.  But I guess whenever you branch out into third-party applications and enhancements you always take that risk.

• 2 months later...
On 3/29/2017 at 2:34 PM, Charles said:

When you want a character-limit would this be system wide? What is the concern with long posts? It can be a bit confusing to a user when their post just... stops.

On 3/30/2017 at 6:41 AM, Square Wheels said:

I'm curious about the reasoning behind this too.

Hi guys the reason behind this is that we are a software company, sometimes our customers post the content of huge log files, this causes that the topic take a considerable amount of time to load and it is kind of annoying having to scroll to the end of it.

Hope you can help us with this.

Archived