Advanced Tags & Prefixes - IPS 4.x

Quick question.  I have a calendar system with multiple calendars in it.  When I attempt to test the prefixes out I've found that if I "create event" without first selecting a specific calendar group to display the ability to force prefix selection doesn't work and is in fact bypassed all together.  However, if I first select say "Calendar A" and then create event the tagging rules are applied.

Any workaround for this or something that can be adjusted?

I'm having a weird issue that seems to be related to having required prefixes in a section/forum.

Title changes, or adding polls, do not persist upon saving a thread unless I also remove the prefix. While I have the global mods are exempt option enabled, this causes problems for my users who want to modify their threads without us having to do it for them. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this issue, but I'm hoping I can get this fixed.

On 4/11/2016 at 10:07 AM, Matk said:

It would be nice if when moving a topic to an area where it is not allowed tags, they were removed or on editing the topic they are removed automatically... Some people put the exact same prefix on the tag and it is not possible to delete or put the prefix.

You could use multimods to alter the prefix at that point. That's not really a feature I intend to add at this point.

On 4/12/2016 at 5:32 AM, Namo said:

Confirmed. Prefixes added after the update does not appear as categories. Prefixes before updating displayed.

Thanks, that helps. I'll look into that further, should be able to find and fix whatever the issue is. Will reach out if I need more info.

On 4/12/2016 at 0:57 PM, HeatSeeker said:

Has anyone else had an issue where title changes don't persist unless you also change a tag?

I'll look into it. I don't have an immediate answer.

On 4/12/2016 at 1:07 PM, motomac said:

I moved a topic with a prefix to the forum, where prefixes are not allowed. And now I can't remove or edit this prefix. It's still visible.

May be a prefix should be removed automatically in such cases?

See comment to Matk above.

On 4/14/2016 at 5:17 AM, Namo said:

Still, this plug is broken. I can not add a prefix, edit, or delete.

In what context? I haven't heard of total failure like that from anyone else.

On 4/14/2016 at 6:54 AM, PrettyPixels said:

I'd like to delete all my tags and start fresh. Is there any way I can mass delete all my tags and start over with this app?

Not easily. You can go to the tag management tool in the ACP and delete all tags and prefixes from there; that should do it.

On 4/18/2016 at 6:39 PM, Matk said:

Not is possible enable "Require a Prefix"

Please clarify.

On 4/18/2016 at 7:38 PM, pilotguy said:

Quick question.  I have a calendar system with multiple calendars in it.  When I attempt to test the prefixes out I've found that if I "create event" without first selecting a specific calendar group to display the ability to force prefix selection doesn't work and is in fact bypassed all together.  However, if I first select say "Calendar A" and then create event the tagging rules are applied.

Any workaround for this or something that can be adjusted?

I assume the settings are set per 'calendar group'?. If so, no, no workaround for that situation. I'm not sure why they would allow unlinked events like that in the first place. It would be equivalent to posting a topic outside of any forum.

I could not change the title of the specified topic

Hello,

the issue is caused by the "Advanced Tags and Prefixes" Application.
As soon as i disable it, i'm able to rename the topic with the "Namo" useraccount.

I would suggest to contact the author of this application for further support.

Regards,

Daniel Fatkic
Invision Power Servicees, Inc.

6 hours ago, Namo said:

I could not change the title of the specified topic

Okay...HeatSeeker reported the same issue above. Like I told him, I'll look into it.

Is this you clarifying the issue you posted about above, or something completely different?

Just released a minor update. This should fix outstanding issues, at least until the next IPS release is out...

@Morrigan, I wasn't able to reproduce your tag cloud issue at all anymore. I can exclude tags with spaces just fine as of 3.1.5. I made an adjustment there anyway, though.

What's New in Version 3.1.6

• Fixed bugs with editing topic titles.
  • Fixed node settings cache not being cleared on changes (that is, some forum tag/prefix settings not taking effect).

Dear @Ryan H.

I've been playing a little more with the Advanced Tags & Prefixes over the weekend (mainly to clean up the mess of an open prefix system on my community :p), and I was hoping to throw out a couple of larger suggestions over things that bother me regarding tags.  (To be clear, these points bother me about the tagging system in general, not your app.)

1.  Moderation over new tags - I've always offered an open-ended prefix system so my tags can organically grow over time.  However, there's no way for me to moderate the growth or to ensure the relevancy of new tags without checking each new topic's tags and prefixes.  As such, I'm wondering if you can consider adding a moderation tool for new tags (eg. they need to be approved first by Moderators before they appear; otherwise they remain hidden).

2.  Relational schema - I don't really know how to properly describe this, but in essence .. some sort of relationship-based system among the tags that can provide a logical and hierarchical categorization.  Here are two examples of relationships:

• Equivalency: The tags "dog" and "canine" are equivalent to each other, so if a user selects one of the tags to discover more content, he gets content tagged with both since they are the same.  This is a huge problem for me as my users will define new tags like "dog" "dogs" "canine" and "hound" when they're all the same.    
  • Parent-Child: The tag "dog" is a child tag of "animal."  So if a user selects "animal," then he gets results from "dog" "cat" and "cow."  

Right now, the tagging system is one big pile where all tags are equally distinct and independent.  I'm wondering if you can help bring some sense of order to tagging?  Maybe?    

Edited by Joel R
4 hours ago, Joel R said:

Dear @Ryan H.

I've been playing a little more with the Advanced Tags & Prefixes over the weekend (mainly to clean up the mess of an open prefix system on my community :p), and I was hoping to throw out a couple of larger suggestions over things that bother me regarding tags.  (To be clear, these points bother me about the tagging system in general, not your app.)

Right now, the tagging system is one big pile where all tags are equally distinct and independent.  I'm wondering if you can help bring some sense of order to tagging?  Maybe?    

I did something close to #2 for a client on 3.x, a looong time ago. I think it's come up for discussion before--solid idea, great functionality, it's just...complicated. In that case, I basically had to rip out IPS's built-in tag system to make it work. The ad-hoc and unconnected nature of IPS's tag/prefix architecture makes it totally unsuitable for setups like that. It's all using raw text.

Anyway, they're good ideas, but I wouldn't expect to see them in the near future.

25 minutes ago, Namo said:

When you fix your change of title in the editing?

I already did, yesterday.

19 hours ago, Ryan H. said:

What's New in Version 3.1.6

• Fixed bugs with editing topic titles.
  • Fixed node settings cache not being cleared on changes (that is, some forum tag/prefix settings not taking effect).