Featured Content for IPS4.x+

• 4 weeks later...

I encountered the following problem:

I'm using the "upcoming sliding events widget", which operates fine as only installed slider plugin.

As soon as I install and use the "featured contents" slider on a same page, the slider plugin mentioned above ^^

• stops sliding
  • the pagination is corrupted in there (= showing the pagination count as numbers 1,2,3,4,5... below each other

I also informed the other plugin author via PM.

Somehow they don't work together.

2 minutes ago, Cyboman said:

I encountered the following problem:

I'm using the "upcoming sliding events widget", which operates fine as only installed slider plugin.

As soon as I install and use the "featured contents" slider on a same page, the slider plugin mentioned above ^^

• stops sliding
  • the pagination is corrupted in there (= showing the pagination count as numbers 1,2,3,4,5... below each other

I also informed the other plugin author via PM.

Somehow they don't work together.

So hard to reproduce this problem. I don't have your plugin.

Hi OnlyME,

First, would like to say thanks keeping this Application updated and maintained. Cheers, ?

I have one question and a couple of requests which you could put into a future edition?

1. I would like to use this as a full screen 'Hero Header', but due to the mechanics I don't think possible? Is there another way I can access a slider without using a Widget? Is there anyway to get this slider full screen?
  2. The application isn't mobile friendly due to the width and height being stored in the 'config' template. To get around this I had to remove those lines and I placed them into the css instead. In fact I believe I just used 100% for IMG is CSS which would keep to the size of the container.
  3. In source/slider.php around line 700. You are using $row->saved as the date, saved is not in the databaseColumnMap array for CMS. To get the Publish date for CMS you would have to use $row->date or $row->record_publish_date (directly).
  4. I notice that for CMS content that you use content() and cut the text to 200. On our site, we we use sub-titles for articles and create a Custom Field. Would it be possible to allow the option to select which field to use for Content (In pretty much the same way Image field can be selected)?
  5. Different themes: The current theme is a bit outdated (no disrespect intended), how about adding a few more or allowing the mechanism for people to share their themes and install Slider themes?

Cheers ?

@TDBF

1. You can use slider code in your templates (find it in Slider Manager below the name). But it does not have full screen feature.

2. It's a bug.

3+4. I just use it for testing purpose, I don't display it in slider ?

5. Take a look this guide

6 minutes ago, onlyME said:

1. You can use slider code in your templates (find it in Slider Manager below the name). But it does not have full screen feature.

I will have a look at that then and see what I can do with it.

6 minutes ago, onlyME said:

2. It's a bug.

Good to know ?

7 minutes ago, onlyME said:

3+4. I just use it for testing purpose, I don't display it in slider

Ahh.... well I found your code and started using it myself, I wasn't sure if this was something which you were going to implement in a future version. Shame to let that code go to waste though ?

8 minutes ago, onlyME said:

5. Take a look this guide

Thanks for the info, but I wasn't thinking about myself but others who possibly don't know how to do this. As you can see from the screenshot below, I used your hidden code to make the to add a bit more to the featured slider.  :tongue:

285413502_Screenshot_2018-05-31TheDarkBlues(1).thumb.png.1244ef4b84d556a154368a9536b7fc1f.png

Cheers, and thanks for the answers ?

23 minutes ago, onlyME said:

Omg... I really do not know how I missed that! ?

Thanks again!

I have a problem with slider in topics (all of them).

Here's example http://forum.zoneofgames.ru/topic/30477-tales-of/, slider is in bottom side.

On the first page it looks ok. But if we choose 2nd page (it'll load via ajax) and press F5, we'll see that slider gives us different topics with images from SECOND post (not first one) --> http://forum.zoneofgames.ru/topic/30477-tales-of maj-eyal/?page=2

And on 3rd page we'll see "This slider has no contents" because 3rd page doesn't have images at all --> http://forum.zoneofgames.ru/topic/30477-tales-of maj-eyal/?page=3

Edited by froniki
9 hours ago, onlyME said:

How about your page lists for widget?

Hm, that's weird idea. We have 50000+ topics ? It's impossible to include all of them in list. And this will not solve the problem with displaying on the 2+ page.

Also, few suggestions:

• Widget "Where to show": All pages/page lists are not enough. I don't know IPS' features but I would be great to add "topic lists", "subforum lists", "topics in subforum lists". F.e. we need to show this widget in all topics from "Games" subforum.
  • "Contents" section in CP. I really miss options like "show content from last 3/7/30/60 days" or "show content with at least 5/10/100 posts".
  • Put comments/posts counter on slides ?
Edited by froniki
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, some suggestions/requests if possible:

It would be nice to have

• an effect feature, if onmouseover over a slider image, have a transparent overlay (glow effect while moving over slider images - something like a white opacity effect onmouseover). This would look more dynamic while moving the mouse over the slides, if you can feel the slides change a bit during that time...
  • a colored slider background: I mean the color behind all the slider images, something like a background box, that is colored. "Boxing" is a nice design effect.

Why these features? I'm using the featured content app as navigations bars with icon images, as the IPS menu is not suited for my requirements….

Just 2 simple enhancements to consider, if you like them too, which would improve the featured content app even more. ? Thanks.

Edited by Cyboman
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Christforums said:

I upgraded to 4.3.5 but most featured threads were displaying a blacked out box. The default image was not even displaying for a lot of threads. I went back to the previous version.

After upgrading, edit slider and set Truncate = 1 or 2 (it's the number of lines now, not characters)

5 hours ago, dikkertjedap said:

Hi all I have update the slider and I got no more images to shown. In the admin panel I have done nothing I everything was the settings as before. But one the mainpage there is nothing only...……...see image below 

errorslider.thumb.jpg.418c42ca6e66f935bcd5610e597a1194.jpg

Can I have acp access to take a look?

11 hours ago, onlyME said:

After upgrading, edit slider and set Truncate = 1 or 2 (it's the number of lines now, not characters)

Done that but it didn't work. I don't know whether the issue was clear to you. Here's a screen shot of blacked out threads:

840039145_Blackedout.thumb.jpg.b8eb1b1d9e6e6680c9b5d48efd97b2f3.jpg

And here's an example link of a blacked out thread: https://www.christforums.org/forums/topic/6881-army-identifies-green-beret-killed-in-afghanistan/