IPB Internation Fixes?

ZakRhyno

Over the course of the years IPB 3's life span I have seen many countries changing the laws and people trying to comply with them if they ran a website. Now I didn't see much of a push from a IPS side on trying to help the community address these issues as much as I would have like. It was mostly a mod can do that and than force mods to come up with something to fix it.

My little issue I would like to be answer is will this be fix in to the next version of IPB 4.0? Now, every change can't be apply to the whole suite as each country is different but the main thing at the time was Cookies and piracy issues that came up with that. Many countries mostly in Europe was being effected, things like this will they be apply to IPB 4.0.

Please dont' say wait to a blog comes out. This is something spefic I like to to kindly request an answer on please.

Thanks,

Zak

Is there a specific issue you're thinking of that you don't feel is present in 3.x?

Err....I already stated it in my first post.

(Can't attach files to this thread.)

Capture.JPG

This had to be added as a addon so that it will comply with the Europe laws that was pass a year or so ago. You don't recall the talk on the threads it was pretty big.

Zak

The guidelines for implementation actually changed since it was first announced/implemented, and different countries (and different organizations within each country) have interpreted the laws in different ways.

We have not added any specific "I accept the use of cookies" option in the 4.0 suite to date.

The guidelines for implementation actually changed since it was first announced/implemented, and different countries (and different organizations within each country) have interpreted the laws in different ways.

We have not added any specific "I accept the use of cookies" option in the 4.0 suite to date.

Do you think you will or do we just use mods?

http://nocookielaw.com

Just playing devil's advocate, but I'm not certain it's worth the development time, nor am I certain it is within the scope of the software.

It's a mandatory directive that they have no capability whatsoever to enforce. Very honestly, having a banner saying 'We use cookies' is directly equivalent to having a banner saying 'We use electricity'. :unsure:

I fail to understand why there need be a dedicated function for such a thing..... there are several different settings in 3.x one could add this 'warning' to without any modification to the software?

The cookie law is rubbish. If this was ever included as a feature, it most definitely should be disabled by default.

I don't want to harass my visitors with silly notices that my website is from the 20th century and actually uses cookies, or risk breaking functionality by not storing cookies until a user reads and accepts a prompt. It makes about as much sense as keeping Javascript disabled until the user accepts a notice warning that Javascript may expose sensitive information about the users machine.

But, as much as I'd love to, I'm not saying I encourage IPS not to add such functionality just to spite a ridiculous law that shouldn't exist. I just don't want such functionality to be added if it means causing potential problems or complications for non-EU users.

So, tl;dr, I think you're doing the right thing by being cautious.

The cookie law is rubbish. If this was ever included as a feature, it most definitely should be disabled by default.

I don't want to harass my visitors with silly notices that my website is from the 20th century and actually uses cookies, or risk breaking functionality by not storing cookies until a user reads and accepts a prompt. It makes about as much sense as keeping Javascript disabled until the user accepts a notice warning that Javascript may expose sensitive information about the users machine.

But, as much as I'd love to, I'm not saying I encourage IPS not to add such functionality just to spite a ridiculous law that shouldn't exist. I just don't want such functionality to be added if it means causing potential problems or complications for non-EU users.

So, tl;dr, I think you're doing the right thing by being cautious.

Plus something of this scale is very small to add on if any.

It's not a fix, that's the important distinction. :smile: It's an extra *feature* that a subset of our client base may want to (or feel they need to) use. It is not a broken capability existing in the software at present.

Bingo and many EU people would need it.

wonder if its worth having 2 versions of core, one meeting EU specs and other not.

then any addons should work as they are (no separate versions) w/o needing the specific mod right?

or just don't do it and let hook/mod do it.

No. It isn't. Maintaining two separate branches of the software over a single feature would be absolutely the wrong approach.

FWIW, we've already beaten this horse to death, resurrected him two or three times, and beaten him back to death. I would encourage you to search this forum for the existing discussions. I'm not sure what benefit there is to bringing this up again.

That cookie bar is already a >free hook and available today. If every hook was included in the core, it would be bloated.

I believe Charles made a great point in one of the last topics on this issue.

The law is interpreted differently in each country. If IPS includes this 'feature' they would ultimately be assuming some legal responsibility for compliance with a law that no one can truly comply with at this time.

As has been mentioned in other topics, It is up to the licensed site owner to ensure their community is operating within the laws of their locale and/or target market.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/378503-cookie-law-is-dead-in-the-uk-enjoy

No. It isn't. Maintaining two separate branches of the software over a single feature would be absolutely the wrong approach.

FWIW, we've already beaten this horse to death, resurrected him two or three times, and beaten him back to death. I would encourage you to search this forum for the existing discussions. I'm not sure what benefit there is to bringing this up again.

Two separate braches would be crazy to do and not worth anything to people to develop it. I didn't even know this was brought up. I was recalling the talk early last year.

That cookie bar is already a >free hook and available today. If every hook was included in the core, it would be bloated.

I believe Charles made a great point in one of the last topics on this issue.

The law is interpreted differently in each country. If IPS includes this 'feature' they would ultimately be assuming some legal responsibility for compliance with a law that no one can truly comply with at this time.

As has been mentioned in other topics, It is up to the licensed site owner to ensure their community is operating within the laws of their locale and/or target market.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/378503-cookie-law-is-dead-in-the-uk-enjoy

Yes, but who knows if it will be updated and all. Still adding something to keep IPS out of it if they wish to and not putting to much in is a balance state. But maybe something could still be done to patch something between the two to bridge it in a way.

As there is more issues else where and can be posted to as well. Can you please close this topic as I'm the OP that made it.

Pretty much applies to everyone no?

right now, yes.

in the future I don't know and I honestly do not have a good feeling about it.

where I am usa based and my subject material is pretty much exclusive to usa I could block all non-usa access which is why I say it would never affect me.

I do not trust the eu regulators to only hold the site owners responsible (if they ever start enforcing it) and it would not surprise me to see them trying to place equal onus onto the software companies.

could I be wrong?

yeah, easily.

and I hope I am.

but would you be willing to bet the eu won't take a deeper look at this at some point?

I wouldn't bet on that.

right now, yes.

in the future I don't know and I honestly do not have a good feeling about it.

where I am usa based and my subject material is pretty much exclusive to usa I could block all non-usa access which is why I say it would never affect me.

I do not trust the eu regulators to only hold the site owners responsible (if they ever start enforcing it) and it would not surprise me to see them trying to place equal onus onto the software companies.

could I be wrong?

yeah, easily.

and I hope I am.

but would you be willing to bet the eu won't take a deeper look at this at some point?

I wouldn't bet on that.

I don't consider it a major issue.

Firstly, the EU hasn't enforced the law as tightly as previously stated. For example, Amazon and Google only recently placed notices on their sites in the footer. Also, I along with many others think the law is ridiculous. Purely because very few actually review the cookies in use and even fewer deny them :smile:

Archived