access to old versions

Ajouz ♞

Hello ,

recently a customer contact me about upgrading a skin made in 2.3.x to the latest version and he sent me the skin files .

I have no 2.3.x installed in my localhost , so I went my client area and tried to find it .

When I did not find it just searched in Google and found many nulled versions available online .

Why an active customer need to search in web to got an old version .

My suggestion : provide it in contributor forum ? .

Best regards .

Technically the nulled versions are still IPS intellectual property so I hope you didn't just download one of those! :unsure:

I am here just introducing a problem may happen with anyone :smile: ,

please do not redirect the topic to a disccuss about nulled versions , my topic is about accessing to old versions .

I am here just introducing a problem may happen with anyone :smile: ,

please do not redirect the topic to a disccuss about nulled versions , my topic is about accessing to old versions .

2.3?

Please tell me you kindly told the individual they should upgrade asap?

I would want one merely for legacy upgrades... but actually using it prod? :blink:

That's just not safe.

Just to clarify, you should be able to access previous versions, however we have decided to only retain the versions we actually provide support for in our client center. For instance, 2.3 is EOL so we no longer offer it as a download in the client center I'm afraid.

You should always keep legacy copies. That way if you want to use old board installs locally, or for any reason you will have them. I have almost all downloads from board2.3.2 to present.

And no, do not PM me as I will not, and cannot legally share. I was banned from a board once and called the "C" word for refusing to share files.

Marcher Technologies, on 17 Jan 2013 - 01:31, said:

2.3?

Please tell me you kindly told the individual they should upgrade asap?

I would want one merely for legacy upgrades... but actually using it prod? :blink:

That's just not safe.

The customer is contracting him to upgrade his 2.3 skin to the latest version - I'd say that's an intention to upgrade to 3.x in the very near future :)

For a number of reasons outlined in this topic, as well as some really good reasons here, we do not provide downloads for End Of Life versions.

I would suggest working with your client to use their current install, or simply recreating the new copy. At this time, we have no plans to provide downloads for 2.x versions.

Collin S. , on 19 Jan 2013 - 07:20, said:

For a number of reasons outlined in this topic, as well as some really good reasons here, we do not provide downloads for End Of Life versions.

I would suggest working with your client to use their current install, or simply recreating the new copy. At this time, we have no plans to provide downloads for 2.x versions.

I am sorry but there is absolutely NO good reason to prevent customers downloading what they pay for.

It is not up to you to decide in behalf of customers which version they want to download. You need to let customer download the script , if it is EOL , it's his own problem to run the script.

I am sorry but there is absolutely NO good reason to prevent customers downloading what they pay for.

It is not up to you to decide in behalf of customers which version they want to download. You need to let customer download the script , if it is EOL , it's his own problem to run the script.

I completely agree. It is up to the customer only to decide what version he/she wants to download and use.

I can clearly see both sides of this however I can see why IPS only want reasonably current versions available for download. IIRC once a version reaches / exceeds its EOL its removed from the Client Area. I belive this applies to all the applications too which is why you cannot download say Blog 142 anymore (that was the last version for the 23x board series)

On the other hand I do not think 236 would actually install on php5.3.x (it may run in a fashion I'd have to check that) but I do vaguely recall it fell over during a test install a year or two ago when I upped versions so you'd potentially have issues using a legacy version on modern hosting or if using a localhost dev have to switch to php5.2.x or lower etc

The "problem" with retaining them such (as I say I can see both sides of this) as say 236 would be it may well generate tickets for support as lets be honest not many really read in detail the agreements and potentially create unhappy clients as they then find out that official support cannot assist them with legacy versions.

I do think not having legacy versions up as is current practise would create less unhappy clients compared to having all previous versions up and inevitably support requests coming in. Having said that I do try where I can to assist those on a legacy version in the support forums if I can although naturally that is not official support in any way shape or form, as official support is via the Client Area not the forum.

I can also recall after 236 went EOL and it went from the Client Area IPS as a gesture of goodwill put it back for a short time as some had not realised it was EOL and did not have the opportunity to download it for archive purposes.

Ultimately: Its always been prudent to keep a copy of the .zip somewhere though so you always have it to hand.

iirc it even had issues on any php 5 versions didn't it?

I used it on 5.2.9 for a couple of years (localhost install) with no issues. It only caused me problems when I switched to 5.3.x. I think 2.1.x series would have issues on 5.2.9 as that would be more a php4.x thing really but I do not recall having any problems with 236 on 5.2.x

Archived