IPB 3.2 Trash Can

bronco93

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Previously, anything in the trash can returned a 404 header... Now, in 3.2, anything in the trash can returns a 403 header...
This is a critical SEO mistake and IPS didn't think this through very well... I need 404 (or better still, 410) headers returned for anything in the trash can. How can I achieve this with a hot fix?

Previously, anything in the trash can returned a 404 header... Now, in 3.2, anything in the trash can returns a 403 header...

This is a critical SEO mistake and IPS didn't think this through very well... I need 404 (or better still, 410) headers returned for anything in the trash can. How can I achieve this with a hot fix?

Are you seriously worried about SEO on a deleted thread? If it's important to your site.... why are you deleting it?

I can count on two hands how many threads I have deleted in the last year on my sites. (other than a spam thread here and there)

How can I achieve this with a hot fix?

A 'hot fix' would only be available if it were considered a bug and instructions to correct it were made available. What you're looking for is to change the designed behavior, so you're looking for a mod.

As for what you believe it should be doing, please post that in the IP.Board feedback forum. That's where the developers read peoples feature requests as well as concerns with existing features/functions.

Are you seriously worried about SEO on a deleted thread? If it's important to your site.... why are you deleting it?

I can count on two hands how many threads I have deleted in the last year on my sites. (other than a spam thread here and there)

That's your forum. We keep ALL deleted threads and posts forever, as it's useful to use to have a record of IPs that abused our community. Also, difficult members that keep returning can often be identified by their posting style/grammatical errors etc etc... the point is, the previous trash can system DID have a purpose, and that was to serve the appropriate header for deleted content... serving the correct header information is really basic stuff and I should have to be explaining it in here.

Yes, it does indeed produce a 404 if it's made soft-delete... Thanks for pointing that out...
However, it should be made clear to legacy customers that if the trash can is hidden to guests (with permissions), the 403 will override the 404. This is why it wasn't working for me.

Thanks again.

Collin, the point is that you now can't have the trash forum hidden from view... if you hide it with permissions, a 403 header is produced instead of a 404... so you have to make the trash forum a public forum for it to throw a 404 for the topics within it. I've got around this by blocking the trash forum in robot.txt with the following wildcard...

Disallow: /*84-trash-can/$

We delete stuff all the time on our site (lot's of spam, mostly). If your site fills up with 403 errors, then you'll take a major hit from the search engines.

This is a MAJOR issue. Quite frankly, I'm shocked it's taken so lightly by the staff. This needs to be addressed and fixed immediately.

• Management

That's your forum. We keep ALL deleted threads and posts forever, as it's useful to use to have a record of IPs that abused our community. Also, difficult members that keep returning can often be identified by their posting style/grammatical errors etc etc... the point is, the previous trash can system DID have a purpose, and that was to serve the appropriate header for deleted content... serving the correct header information is really basic stuff and I should have to be explaining it in here.

admin/applications/forums/sources/classes/forums/class_forums.php

Line 968 (just search for '103137')

$this->registry->getClass('output')->showError( 'forums_no_view_topic', 103137, null, null, 404 );

Archived