Like Button similar to XenForo

Anthony.

Matt makes the point here. They are 2 different systems that serve 2 distinct purposes. Depending on the type and content of a board, one system may be more appropriate than the other. That is one reason why we have the option to use both positive and negative or positive only. I think the like button is more like the old thanks button than the rep system.

The like button is a friendly way of showing appreciation for a post. IMO, it shouldn't matter where a feature originates, if it is good it will spread and shouldn't be dismissed. The like button is a popular feature, but it may not be suited to all types of boards. ;)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

Rikki actually showed me a mock-up yesterday of his plans for the "Rep" buttons. I think a green plus and red minus button isn't probably the best interface as it indicates a "like" / "hate" relationship which isn't entirely accurate.

We are going to revisit this feature in 3.2. In theory we could have both a rep and a like system. They are different functions but there is some overlap.

• Management

Facebook has 500m users. Those 500m users, or at least a great chunk of them are USED to the "like" system and that's what I think he wanted to point out. The majority knows that system. They have no problems with it.

I'll be blunt but this rebuttal does grate a little. I am aware of how many users Facebook has and as a heavy Facebook user I'm aware of its functionality. But just throwing on a bunch of "Facebook" features in IP.Board because it works for one particular site is a flawed argument.

In my experience, the average topic gets more replies than the average status update at Facebook, so having a way to filter out unpopular posts is a benefit if implemented correctly.

I hate sites that try to be all "facebooky". Facebook is for FRIENDS not having an online community to talk about things. :\

Its getting annoying how everything has to be like Facebook for people to like it.

I think it's just human. A lot of people are addicted to Facebook, so they seek for its features everywhere.

I think it's just human. A lot of people are addicted to Facebook, so they seek for its features everywhere.

Which is the problem. Theres people who might use it just to keeping in contact with friends (like myself) and not everything else on it. Its kind of taking over software and peoples minds. Personally I am against the whole "Like" a post thing, its the same as what we have now, except with different words, and no images.

• Management

I don't have an issue with that per-se. It's just the thoughtless "please add this Facebook feature" without considering how it will affect the forum. Much like suggesting we transplant eagle wings onto a family member because eagles can fly and flying is cool.

For the record, I don't think that a "like" feature is a bad idea. It's just that I want to fully consider how it fits in with our current reputation system. It would be wrong to throw out a feature on a whimsy.

If you want ideas for a reputation system that works, look at forums that have been using them successfully. "Hot Deal" sites have been using them for years. A couple large ones I'm familiar with (they both happen to be vB, but are using custom coded reputation systems):
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums
http://slickdeals.net/forums/

They have some differences. One only allows voting on topics, the other allows votes on topics and individual posts. One presents reputation information in the user profile view (post sorting), the other very little. They share more similarities:

• They allow both positive and negative rep.
  • The reputation of each thread is clearly visible on the forum index.
  • There are badges or titles awarded for reaching certain reputation goals.
  • The reputation of each member is clearly visible in the topic view.
  • There is transparency about who voted on each topic.
  • There is transparency about which users topics received votes.
  • You can filter and sort threads based on reputation.

The current reputation system is not visible enough to encourage participation. One reason xF's system was 'liked'.

I hate Facebook, by the way. Just saying.

Ditto. I just joined the other day just to set up the Facebook sign in and it absolutely worries the daylights out of me. I went and tried to set up a profile for my business and they won't do it without me giving them my cell number so they can text me a verification. Well, I'm not gonna put my cell phone number anywhere up on the net, and I have texts turned off on my phone anyway. (another thing I don't get, why people are willing to pay for texts for a phone that gets email :blink: )

Ditto. I just joined the other day just to set up the Facebook sign in and it absolutely worries the daylights out of me. I went and tried to set up a profile for my business and they won't do it without me giving them my cell number so they can text me a verification. Well, I'm not gonna put my cell phone number anywhere up on the net, and I have texts turned off on my phone anyway. (another thing I don't get, why people are willing to pay for texts for a phone that gets email :blink: )

Those of us outside the US wonder why you guys are willing to pay for texts at all - for us, receiving both calls and texts are free. I can't imagine why you'd accept paying for it - I mean it's not like you pay less for calls than us.

Those of us outside the US wonder why you guys are willing to pay for texts at all - for us, receiving both calls and texts are free. I can't imagine why you'd accept paying for it - I mean it's not like you pay less for calls than us.

Well, you can buy unlimited plans, or you can pay for texts, or you can opt not to get SMS service. It's not like we have much other options lol.

Some companies offer unlimited texts, some don't, some offer it as a SMS package level, and so on. For those of us not setting the major cell company package levels (99.9% of the population) we have few options. ;)

I have a plan that costs me around $135 mo. 2 phones, 1 with data plan. I think something like 1000 mins. Texting costs another $15 mo. each.

I don't really get the whole texting thing anyways, you are holding a freekin phone in your hand that can allow you to talk to the person. Why type? LOL.

But then again, theres a lot of things I don't get, like piercings and tattoos................

Um points were never discussed, and thanks is just about the same as likes.

Rikki actually showed me a mock-up yesterday of his plans for the "Rep" buttons. I think a green plus and red minus button isn't probably the best interface as it indicates a "like" / "hate" relationship which isn't entirely accurate.

We are going to revisit this feature in 3.2. In theory we could have both a rep and a like system. They are different functions but there is some overlap.

Points are like numbers, kinda like rep points and reputation.

I'll be blunt but this rebuttal does grate a little. I am aware of how many users Facebook has and as a heavy Facebook user I'm aware of its functionality. But just throwing on a bunch of "Facebook" features in IP.Board because it works for one particular site is a flawed argument.

In my experience, the average topic gets more replies than the average status update at Facebook, so having a way to filter out unpopular posts is a benefit if implemented correctly.

Why are you directing this to me? My message was just what I thought he meant as it seems no one really understood what he meant with his post. Perhaps I was wrong, perhaps I was right. It was just my thought of what he meant with his post. My personal opinion about the matter I leave unsaid.

Archived