Like Button similar to XenForo

Anthony.

• Management

As always we have to consider our entire customer base when contemplating adding or changing functionality. We wouldn't want to react to every passing whim or our product will be a middling mess of different concepts and ideas.

As always we appreciate the feedback and are always looking for ways to move the product forwards.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

I don't like "new" Rep system at all. I want back green plus and red minus buttons.

It seems some people without Facebook can not live. It's like virus.

Don't worry, I was only testing a hook I slapped together.

The only real differences between XF's Like and IPB's rep are:

[list=1] [*]XF calls it Like, IPB uses a (+) icon [*]XF throws up a Red indicator in your face when you receive a Like, IPB throws up a subtle Gray indicator

[/list]

Both of these 2 things can be changed very easily - it's all just template edits...and IPB's "rep" system will operate almost identically to XF's "Like" system.

To those getting confused and referring to Facebook in this thread - the Like functionality being discussed here has nothing to do with Facebook.

Thanks Ryan ... I am sure all these things are a tweak here and a tweak there ...

my point is that these things are now " best practices " and should be default ...

besides 500,000,000+ Facebook members are used to the red alert ... somebody is doing something right. :)

• Management

Thanks Ryan ... I am sure all these things are a tweak here and a tweak there ...

my point is that these things are now " best practices " and should be default ...

besides 500,000,000+ Facebook members are used to the red alert ... somebody is doing something right. :)

I think Facebook has 500m users for many reasons but not solely because of a single feature be that a 'like' link or any other minor feature.

Just felt like pointing out that a "Like Button/System" is just the current rep system except instead of numbers, it just lists the names (even though this system does too). I don't see what the big hoopla is about though.

Yeah thats been stated many times, just seems that those xf addon lovers can't get it through their head.

• Management

Superficially a like system is similar to a reputation system but there is a world of difference.

"Like" allows you to tell the world that you liked the post content.

A reputation system allows you to up-vote and down-vote content. This then allows you to filter out posts below a certain threshold. This effectively crowd moderates content. If used properly it's a powerful tool. I'd say that it's not widely utilized in IP.Board because it's not immediately obvious what it does and we plan to improve the rep interface in future versions.

I would be reluctant to throw out that functionality simply because the current trend is to "like".

When you think about it, IMO the rep system accomplishes the single most requested feature of Facebook as well - a dislike button. Ever seen a post on Facebook, and just so wished you could click "Dislike" on it? Well, with IPB you can just neg-rep it! Combine with some templating to switching out the +/- for "Like"/"Dislike", you've got yourself a system even more complete than Facebook's.

My personal opinion only of course.

You are right, Mat B, but I think we should be able to change our mind. Sometimes you click the - button while you really wanted to click the + etc. Our sometimes we can just change our mind and decide to like a post instead of disliking it. Also, if we're going to stick with the reputation system I think we should replace the + and - buttons with a top and down arrow like Vanilla does.

I think Facebook has 500m users for many reasons but not solely because of a single feature be that a 'like' link or any other minor feature.

Facebook has 500m users. Those 500m users, or at least a great chunk of them are USED to the "like" system and that's what I think he wanted to point out. The majority knows that system. They have no problems with it.

Facebook has 500m users. Those 500m users, or at least a great chunk of them are USED to the "like" system and that's what I think he wanted to point out. The majority knows that system. They have no problems with it.

IP.Board is not Facebook, it should not be expected to do everything Facebook does just because Facebook has 500 million members. Should IP.Board remove the ability to have separate skins, since Facebook doesn't give you the option to drastically change how the site looks?

Archived