Like Button similar to XenForo

Anthony.

The reputation system is the exact same thing as any big red hot fat obese Like button out there. You have to understand that one + year ago, the big thing was to have a reputation system. Everyone wanted that, so they did it for 3.0. The wording is, in my opinion, a bit obsolete though. I don't think we still want a "Reputation system" because we are used/addicated to Facebook's "LIKE" system. The only thing that's really missing is the ability to change your mind (Unlike).

I would have to disagree personally. Reputation used to be very popular, then came along such modifications as the "Thank you" mod. Far more members use the thank you button then the reputation buttons.

Now it appears things have evolved again to have the "Like" button. I use facebook, but certainly not addicted to it, but like a vast amount of people, im aware of the concept of a like button.

On a different note, would anyone consider coding a template mod to change the rep system into a like system?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a different note, would anyone consider coding a template mod to change the rep system into a like system?

It's not too hard, really- I just changed all my language bits to use "like" instead of "reputation" and replaced the plus sign with a thumbs up icon. That seems to have done the trick well enough for me. At least, I can't think of any other changes I'd want to make to it.

I have a very active forum, and I can tell you NO ONE uses it. Or very few. Less than 1%. I "like" the xenforo implementation. It see others do as well. Not to mention trophies. Brilliant.

Sorry, but I feel like IPB is in Seattle, and Xenforo in Cupertino. :ph34r:

God is in the details ... XF gets it. :rolleyes:

The only real differences between XF's Like and IPB's rep are:

Both of these 2 things can be changed very easily - it's all just template edits...and IPB's "rep" system will operate almost identically to XF's "Like" system. To those getting confused and referring to Facebook in this thread - the Like functionality being discussed here has nothing to do with Facebook.

[*]XF calls it Like, IPB uses a (+) icon [*]XF throws up a Red indicator in your face when you receive a Like, IPB throws up a subtle Gray indicator

God is in the details ... XF gets it. :rolleyes:

If you would pay attention to matt's, bfarbers, and ryans posts you would know that the rep system works exactly like the xf like system, just change the green plus image to a like image and make it display who has "repped/liked" the post, and then make it so you can only do positive rep/likes.

Mainly just use photoshop/gimp/etc to make a button that says like or what ever you want on it, save it as the same name as the green plus button, upload it to ipbroot/public/style_images/every style folder located in there then go to the acp and configure the rep system, no html needed i believe.

Mainly just use photoshop/gimp/etc to make a button that says like or what ever you want on it, save it as the same name as the green plus button, upload it to ipbroot/public/style_images/every style folder located in there then go to the acp and configure the rep system, no html needed i believe.

How about getting it to display the names of the people that liked the post?

I don't know about you guys but I would almost never facebook-like a single post. It would rarely be of any use at all to my friends at facebook as to what the content is of a post on a forum they're not even a member of nor interested in.

I get that you want to be able to expose your websites but I refrain from liking topics here on this forum for instance because of the fact that it's integrated with facebook. If it was on this forum I'd like a lot more topics.

I don't know about you guys but I would almost never facebook-like a single post. It would rarely be of any use at all to my friends at facebook as to what the content is of a post on a forum they're not even a member of nor interested in.

I get that you want to be able to expose your websites but I refrain from liking topics here on this forum for instance because of the fact that it's integrated with facebook. If it was on this forum I'd like a lot more topics.

This has nothing to do with facebook. Its similar to a "thank you" button. Ive attached a screen shot showing the like button and as you can see, the member called Ranger375 has already liked the post.

This topic is a good example.

There are 3 "Facebook Like", and 47 "forum Likes". Interesting when you click the "47 others" link. Notice how many Likes people have compared to posts. Often half as many or more. I think the Facebook and forum both having a Like link could be confusing, but it's obviously heavily used at that forum.

[url="http://xenforo.com/community/threads/welcome-two-new-moderators.4571/"]This topic[/url] is a good example.

There are 3 "Facebook Like", and 47 "forum Likes". Interesting when you click the "47 others" link. Notice how many Likes people have compared to posts. Often half as many or more.

And your point being?

Look [url=".

57 green plus'es...Click on the 57...And that IPS News account has 2,445 reputation ("Likes") but only 292 posts just like the XenForo news account has 900 Likes on just 22 posts...

It's basically the exact same thing, folks. We've said it over and over in this thread. I'm not sure why everybody thinks XF's Like is so groundbreaking.

And your point being?

Look [url="

[/url].

57 green plus'es...Click on the 57...And that IPS News account has 2,445 reputation ("Likes") but only 292 posts just like the XenForo news account has 900 Likes on just 22 posts...

It's basically the exact same thing, folks. We've said it over and over in this thread. I'm not sure why everybody things XF's Like is so groundbreaking.

And if you click on the number, you can see everyone who gave rep or "liked" just like XF does.

This has nothing to do with facebook. Its similar to a "thank you" button. Ive attached a screen shot showing the like button and as you can see, the member called Ranger375 has already liked the post.

Yes I know how XF does it, it was a response to everyone talking about facebook like's.

I have a very active forum, and I can tell you NO ONE uses it. Or very few. Less than 1%. I "like" the xenforo implementation. It see others do as well. Not to mention trophies. Brilliant.

Sorry, but I feel like IPB is in Seattle, and Xenforo in Cupertino. :ph34r:

So, IPB charges for a Finished Product and Xenforo charges for a Beta Product while they're about to be sued into the ground..

Great analogy

anyway, this has been discussed to death both here and in other requests.. This is really best suited to a Hook/modification instead of the core product.. You can really only put so much into the base framework of a larger application like Invision platform before you start to regress optimizations

So, IPB charges for a Finished Product and Xenforo charges for a Beta Product while they're about to be sued into the ground..

Wow, so grasping at straws here. First, people have no problem investing in XF in its current state. Second, are they? Really? Care to wager on how that "suing to the ground" works out?

anyway, this has been discussed to death both here and in other requests.. This is really best suited to a Hook/modification instead of the core product.. You can really only put so much into the base framework of a larger application like Invision platform before you start to regress optimizations

As discussed it is ALREADY a part of the core product, not just implemented in the same way, so you are actually arguing against what has already been discussed. It's obvious you know nothing about what you speak when you say, "You can really only put so much into the base framework of a larger application like Invision platform before you start to regress optimizations"

Archived