Topic Preview - thanks!

Abomination

The concept of how the topic preview was implemented was a stroke of brilliance. You people really did a great job.

No annoying mouseovers, subtle, and effective.

I know the details are still being tweaked, but just wanted to say I find them awesome. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

The only thing I find is that since I have to click somewhere else to load the topic preview, I might as well just click on the actual topic title and read the whole thing. I found a mouseover preview useful only because it didn't require any additional clicking anywhere.

I only agree with that in regards to the search results (where snippets on 3.0.x were replaced with the topic preview). When searching for a post it's a PITA to click each topic preview for each search result whereas 3.0.x showed the snippet underneath each result. Otherwise, having to click after moving your mouse over the icon in forum view isn't exactly the most strenuous of activities :-p

• 2 weeks later...

Could the clickable icon be moved to the left position - just in front of the linked topic title?

[Icon] [Linked title]

This way you'll keep a consistant position in the layout and remove the need to float your mouse from side to side to hit the icon.

You've also got less mouse travel if you want to click on the topic.

Just a thought ...

Cheers,
Shaun :D

It's brilliant apart from the search tab in the pop up. It tends not to show the right part of the post. For example, if I search for "eaccelerator" and preview the first topic on the list, it shows a small part of the beginning of the post containing my keyword. The keyword however is located futher in the post, so i don't see it in the preview. Because of this little tricky thing, "Search" tab in the preview becomes useless in a considerably big amount of cases.

So I would love the script to know where my keyword (it's first occurence let's say) is located and to print the needed part, just like Google does. :)

Archived