OMG IPB 3 Got Hacked!

Kfir

Invision Tweaks, a known IPB support site has been hacked.
Look here: http://www.invisiontweaks.com/forums/index.php?/forum-7/announcement-2-hacked-by-team-evil-arab-hackers/
All posts are deleted.
I was shocked when I saw this.

[quote name='BGarcia' date='31 August 2009 - 04:14 PM' timestamp='1251731648' post='1850887']
Doesn't seem like it was hacked more like an account was compromised.

Maybe. But I guess a Staff can't mass delete all posts. Am I right?

[quote name='Kfir' date='31 August 2009 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1251732112' post='1850892']
Maybe. But I guess a Staff can't mass delete all posts. Am I right?

Global mods can mass prune forum(s) if that's what you meant :unsure:

Bad too see though :( , but could of been anything (weak password / compromised email account etc etc) , I think if it was a "hack" then more than just that one account would of been compromised...

[quote name='ΑndyF' date='31 August 2009 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1251732447' post='1850895']
Global mods can mass prune forum(s) if that's what you meant :unsure:

Bad too see though :( , but could of been anything (weak password / compromised email account etc etc) , I think if it was a "hack" then more than just that one account would of been compromised...

That is a stupid thing to do. Staff shouldn't have the ability to delete content from the board.

[quote name='Kfir' date='31 August 2009 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1251734637' post='1850908']
That is a stupid thing to do. Staff shouldn't have the ability to delete content from the board.

It's always been like that as far as I can remember. Although I do agree personally I do not think anyone without ACP access should have access to the forum side prune tools. :)

Please don't jump to conclusions that IPB itself was hacked. :) There are dozens of possibilities. If the owner believes it was IPB itself that was compromised, they are certainly free to submit a ticket and we will assist them to the best of our ability in tracking down how the hacker got in and what damage was done exactly.

[quote name='ΑndyF' date='31 August 2009 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1251738825' post='1850938']
It's always been like that as far as I can remember. Although I do agree personally I do not think anyone without ACP access should have access to the forum side prune tools. :)

But surely the same criteria applies? You wouldn't give access to your ACP to someone you don't trust. You, therefore, wouldn't make someone a member of staff if you didn't trust them.

[quote name='bfarber' date='31 August 2009 - 07:11 PM' timestamp='1251742299' post='1850972']
Please don't jump to conclusions that IPB itself was hacked. :) There are dozens of possibilities. If the owner believes it was IPB itself that was compromised, they are certainly free to submit a ticket and we will assist them to the best of our ability in tracking down how the hacker got in and what damage was done exactly.

Yes, certainly vulnerabilities will be found, it's inevitable. But let's not start a mass-panic because a single site was hacked. Could have been a modification they had installed, a bad password, insecure server so someone else on the same host had access to their files - who knows at this stage.

[quote name='ΑndyF' date='31 August 2009 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1251738825' post='1850938']

Is there a way to prevent them from having access to such tools?

Archived