Introducing Spam Monitoring Service

tranceandy

[quote name='pisaldi' date='23 July 2009 - 07:10 PM' timestamp='1248372622' post='1831826']
I think that's not true at all...

When Perpetual licenses were offered you said there were identically to standard ones and the only difference was in the price of the yearly support...

That's the reason it was justified to pay the amount it costed to have it... because paying every year the support you should have 6 years of support standard license ($120/$20=6 years)...

When the Perpetual licenses were offered, there was no Standard license. So no, we never said they were identical to the Standard ones because the Standard ones didn't exist back then.

[quote name='Luke' date='23 July 2009 - 01:18 PM' timestamp='1248373131' post='1831837']
I think it was around $150 when yearly licenses were about $60. I know I paid $200 or more for my lifetime license when it was available. I don't recall the exact amount.

But as I said before, it's not about what you paid for the license, or how much you pay to renew it. A license is a license, and should be considered equal. They should be giving it to all license holders, or make it separate service. I'm not against paying something to help with the costs of running this service (as it seems to be their concern), I just don't appreciate their initial tactic.

They're talking about it, so we'll wait. But I expect nothing less than equal treatment for every license holder. What ever is/was paid for a license should not be put into the equation.

You keep saying a license is a license, but in this case it's not entirely true.

Lifetime license included access to upgrades and technical support
Perpetual license included access to upgrades and then you had to pay $30/yr for technical support
Standard license requires $25 every 6 months to retain access to upgrades and technical support and also includes new services that IPS may offer in the future. Basically the costs of those services are factored into that $25 you pay every 6 months.

Lifetime license holders are not paying anything more, ever, so you are getting updates and new versions without IPS getting any compensation for their continued development.
Perpetual license holders only pay for technical support, which in most cases isn't needed, though some pay the fee just to support IPS.
Standard license holders are paying $25 every 6 months, which supports these new services that IPS deems suitable and cost effective (they wouldn't include a service where they would be spending more than what they are getting in for example).

It doesn't get any simpler than that. Hope you can understand now.

• Management

Again, we're discussing options for legacy customers. Anything right now is pure speculation for the sake of it. :) Just give us a day or so. We don't want to make anyone feel second class. That was never our intention.

[quote name='Richard' date='23 July 2009 - 07:48 PM' timestamp='1248374934' post='1831858']
You keep saying a license is a license, but in this case it's not entirely true.

Lifetime license included access to upgrades and technical support
Perpetual license included access to upgrades and then you had to pay $30/yr for technical support
Standard license requires $25 every 6 months to retain access to upgrades and technical support and also includes new services that IPS may offer in the future. Basically the costs of those services are factored into that $25 you pay every 6 months.

Lifetime license holders are not paying anything more, ever, so you are getting updates and new versions without IPS getting any compensation for their continued development.
Perpetual license holders only pay for technical support, which in most cases isn't needed, though some pay the fee just to support IPS.
Standard license holders are paying $25 every 6 months, which supports these new services that IPS deems suitable and cost effective (they wouldn't include a service where they would be spending more than what they are getting in for example).

It doesn't get any simpler than that. Hope you can understand now.

The $25 ever 6 months for standard, $30 per year for perpetual, and nothing for lifetime isn't just support. It includes access to the resource site which is considered a service. I never said that I wouldn't be willing to pay something as a lifetime license holder. But their current reasoning is not justified. Either give it to all license holders, or don't. It's is simple as that. I hope you can understand now.

[quote name='Matt' date='23 July 2009 - 07:56 PM' timestamp='1248375384' post='1831859']
Again, we're discussion options for legacy customers. Anything right now is pure speculation for the sake of it. :) Just give us a day or so. We don't want to make anyone feel second class. That was never our intention.

Thanks Matt. I await your answer :).

• Management

[quote name='Luke' date='23 July 2009 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1248375715' post='1831861']
Thanks Matt. I await your answer :) .

Oh! So Matt says it and you listen! I see how it is...

I shall go pout in the corner now. Woe is me, etc.
:(

[quote name='Μark' date='23 July 2009 - 08:42 PM' timestamp='1248374531' post='1831854']
When the Perpetual licenses were offered, there was no Standard license. So no, we never said they were identical to the Standard ones because the Standard ones didn't exist back then.

It had no special name... is was only a license...

--> New Order --> 10/07/04 --> $69.95

Renewal: Invision Power Board Yearly License --> 10/07/05 --> $69.95

It was a yearly license...

But, better wait one or two days as Matt says... :thumbsup:

• Management

[quote name='aeharding' date='23 July 2009 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1248376203' post='1831870']
Wait, I'm confused... Does this mean nulled boards could also get this service for however much per year? Or would they have to recode their system to figure out you have an old license, and give you a special deal to get the spam service?

I can say positively that nulled boards get nothing from us...

[quote name='Charles' date='23 July 2009 - 08:04 PM' timestamp='1248375885' post='1831866']
Oh! So Matt says it and you listen! I see how it is...

I shall go pout in the corner now. Woe is me, etc.
sad.gif

We love it when you pout Charles laugh.png It brings out that side of you that we like to see once in a while tongue.gif

• Management

[quote name='Arctic Monkeys UK.com' date='23 July 2009 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1248376512' post='1831882']
So now your about to do an about turn and give lifetime licenses the same benefits whats the point in having a standard license that we pay every 6 months for?

Just playing devils advocate :P

I don't think we have said what we are planning to do :)

[quote name='Arctic Monkeys UK.com' date='23 July 2009 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1248376512' post='1831882']
So now your about to do an about turn and give lifetime licenses the same benefits whats the point in having a standard license that we pay every 6 months for?

Just playing devils advocate :P

You pay for your upgrades and support every 6 months. We paid in advance :P

• Management

[quote name='Kotonoha' date='23 July 2009 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1248376900' post='1831886']
That's no fun, you should make it so if nulled boards try to use the service they'll blow up.

If we could we would :lol:

[quote name='Rοb' date='23 July 2009 - 08:19 PM' timestamp='1248376797' post='1831885']
You pay for your upgrades and support every 6 months. We paid in advance :P

For updates - not new additional features that arent standard to IPB.

[quote name='Arctic Monkeys UK.com' date='23 July 2009 - 12:41 PM' timestamp='1248378119' post='1831900']
For updates - not new additional features that arent standard to IPB.

You are missing the key stress that matt has made several times. This is not a feature, it is a service.
The argument many are making is that, if they are +Active and can use the resources site, why can they not use a service that is offered.

[quote name='pisaldi' date='23 July 2009 - 08:09 PM' timestamp='1248376162' post='1831869']
It had no special name... is was only a license...

--> New Order --> 10/07/04 --> $69.95

Renewal: Invision Power Board Yearly License --> 10/07/05 --> $69.95

It was a yearly license...

But, better wait one or two days as Matt says... :thumbsup:

Ah, the yearly license was not the Standard license.
We did away with the yearly license in 2006 - although, if you had an active license at the time, we gave you a free Standard license, because, despite what people seem to think: we're actually quite nice :)

• Management

[quote name='Nimdock' date='23 July 2009 - 03:51 PM' timestamp='1248378684' post='1831921']
Come on people let's give it a rest. We have been acknowledged. Let's wait and see what happens.

Best advice I've heard all week! We need some time to determine what, if anything, we can further do to accommodate legacy customers. No sense beating this very dead horse in the meantime. :D

[quote name='Collin1000' date='23 July 2009 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1248378290' post='1831904']
You are missing the key stress that matt has made several times. This is not a feature, it is a service.
The argument many are making is that, if they are +Active and can use the resources site, why can they not use a service that is offered.

Ok then so how about getting rid of the standard license make it fair for everyone ;)

Archived