Introducing Spam Monitoring Service

tranceandy

I know that 9 pages in, nearly everyone else will have covered the points I'm about to make, but I do wish to explain how this has come across to me. I am a perpetual licence holder, which I bought in 2005.

What worries me is that I feel that there is an effort going on to force me out of my perpetual licence. The biggest issue in this is that we are not at all eligible to purchase the service - nor, it appears, any future service.

It concerns me that there will be many other things released in the future which will be classed as a service, as a way of excluding perpetual and lifetime licence holders from useful extras to the software (thereby convincing people to relinquish their licences).

I am also concerned that not being able to buy such services might somehow compromise my board. I know it's an extra to the software, but spam is a very serious issue and I find it worrying that I won't be able to have any sort of access at all to a module that could prevent a significant spam attack.

I will stress that I don't think that IPS are unscrupulous at all, but I imagine some people might also be worrying that if a spam module provides enough robust protection against spam but there is a problem in the standard software and people are getting heavily attacked (like what happened in the later 2.3 series), IPS won't be as swift to respond to patching the software.

I stress, I'm not saying that *will* happen, but you can understand how that might cross people's minds. After all, four years ago, it would've been unthinkable that IPS wouldd be launching extra services in the manner they are now.

Overall, I feel that I'm being forced out of my perpetual licence. If we'd been able to pay an extra cost to obtain the service, then I understand that there might have been complaints but I can understand the difference between lifetime, perpetual and standard and if you wanted to make an offer to standard holders, that's understandable (honestly, I've been waiting for this for months because I could see where you were going with some of your forum posts last year).

But the crux is that we can't get the spam service at all without relinquishing what we currently own and have paid for...and I find that slightly odd. It also concerns me that this won't be the first service released, nor the only effort to make us give up our licences.

I bought the licence that was available to me at the time. I didn't buy a perpetual licence to screw IPS out of money or to upset IPS or to make IPS hate me. I also didn't force IPS to sell perpetual licences - I bought what IPS offered.

I would be happy to pay additional costs for services - if I felt that they would be a benefit to my site - and it seems a shame that they're not available to purchase as add-on modules at all.

I love IPS's software and I always have done, and I don't ever want to have to change from using Invision...but I am being increasingly upset at the way I'm being treated by the company - a company who I've never hassled via the support, who I've only ever said good things about and have always strongly recommended to people.

Lifetime and perpetual owners are still your customers - we run your software (and probably have done for years, so our users are used to your product and we probably don't wish to switch), so we're the best people to try and sell things to because we're a captive market. Excluding us entirely just makes me feel unwanted and it feels like you're trying to trick us out of what we already own. I respect you guys more than that, and it's horrible that that's how it's coming across. You can't mean it to be like this, surely? :(

[quote name='grippo' date='23 July 2009 - 09:23 PM' timestamp='1248380623' post='1831951']
I know that 9 pages in, nearly everyone else will have covered the points I'm about to make, but I do wish to explain how this has come across to me. I am a perpetual licence holder, which I bought in 2005.

What worries me is that I feel that there is an effort going on to force me out of my perpetual licence. The biggest issue in this is that we are not at all eligible to purchase the service - nor, it appears, any future service.

It concerns me that there will be many other things released in the future which will be classed as a service, as a way of excluding perpetual and lifetime licence holders from useful extras to the software (thereby convincing people to relinquish their licences).

I am also concerned that not being able to buy such services might somehow compromise my board. I know it's an extra to the software, but spam is a very serious issue and I find it worrying that I won't be able to have any sort of access at all to a module that could prevent a significant spam attack.

I will stress that I don't think that IPS are unscrupulous at all, but I imagine some people might also be worrying that if a spam module provides enough robust protection against spam but there is a problem in the standard software and people are getting heavily attacked (like what happened in the later 2.3 series), IPS won't be as swift to respond to patching the software.

I stress, I'm not saying that *will* happen, but you can understand how that might cross people's minds. After all, four years ago, it would've been unthinkable that IPS wouldd be launching extra services in the manner they are now.

Overall, I feel that I'm being forced out of my perpetual licence. If we'd been able to pay an extra cost to obtain the service, then I understand that there might have been complaints but I can understand the difference between lifetime, perpetual and standard and if you wanted to make an offer to standard holders, that's understandable (honestly, I've been waiting for this for months because I could see where you were going with some of your forum posts last year).

But the crux is that we can't get the spam service at all without relinquishing what we currently own and have paid for...and I find that slightly odd. It also concerns me that this won't be the first service released, nor the only effort to make us give up our licences.

I bought the licence that was available to me at the time. I didn't buy a perpetual licence to screw IPS out of money or to upset IPS or to make IPS hate me. I also didn't force IPS to sell perpetual licences - I bought what IPS offered.

I would be happy to pay additional costs for services - if I felt that they would be a benefit to my site - and it seems a shame that they're not available to purchase as add-on modules at all.

I love IPS's software and I always have done, and I don't ever want to have to change from using Invision...but I am being increasingly upset at the way I'm being treated by the company - a company who I've never hassled via the support, who I've only ever said good things about and have always strongly recommended to people.

Lifetime and perpetual owners are still your customers - we run your software (and probably have done for years, so our users are used to your product and we probably don't wish to switch), so we're the best people to try and sell things to because we're a captive market. Excluding us entirely just makes me feel unwanted and it feels like you're trying to trick us out of what we already own. I respect you guys more than that, and it's horrible that that's how it's coming across. You can't mean it to be like this, surely? :(

Very well articulated :)

I'm interested - if you are willing to pay for the service, why you are not willing to transfer to the standard license?
After all, if we offered the service for say $25 per 6 months (not saying we will) what benefit would paying for that have over switching to a standard license?

After all, we have said we will trade your license at no charge, it's not like we're demanding you shell out $150 for a new license to take advantage of the service ;)

[quote name='Îœark' date='23 July 2009 - 03:29 PM' timestamp='1248380965' post='1831956']
I'm interested - if you are willing to pay for the service, why you are not willing to transfer to the standard license?
After all, if we offered the service for say $25 per 6 months (not saying we will) what benefit would paying for that have over switching to a standard license?

After all, we have said we will trade your license at no charge, it's not like we're demanding you shell out $150 for a new license to take advantage of the service ;)

If they decide that this service doesn't meet their needs, then they can't revert back to a perpetual or lifetime license and will be stuck with the $50/year fee.

[quote name='Îœark' date='23 July 2009 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1248380965' post='1831956']

I can stop paying for the service and still have lifetime support, upgrades, and access to the resource site (a "service" btw).

[quote name='Îœark' date='23 July 2009 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1248380965' post='1831956']

Because if for whatever reason we decide to not renew support + services (suppose such thing would exist) then we also give up our updates for life (perpetual) that were available when we bought the perpetual license that was available at the time. ;)

Our license has an added value. There is no denying that and we are not trying to, of course we don't want to give it up, heck no. It was there, made available by IPS... But I don't think we should be "punished" because our license had that added value. I wasn't going to comment any more and wait for the official response on the matter, like I said before, but in my opinion Mark's post should be answered.

[quote name='Îœark' date='23 July 2009 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1248380965' post='1831956']After all, we have said we will trade your license at no charge, it's not like we're demanding you shell out $150 for a new license to take advantage of the service ;)

I like the security that my perpetual gives me. I know that's kind of ironic as I bought a perpetual instead of a yearly licence and IPS could've folded a year in and I'd have lost money (but thankfully, that didn't happen!), but I like the fact that I can log in at any time, no matter what my current financial state is (which is currently dire - thanks recession) and I am always able to upgrade my software so that my board is as secure as it can possibly be.

I understand that the spam service is a subscription type service, so once your support ended, so would the service? So I understand that if my financial situation decreased further and I was unable to renew the service, it would leave me open to being unprotected by the service - but I do see the spam service as an added benefit and therefore, not quite as important as having access to the latest software.

I'm not sure I'm saying it clearly (I've had a very long day, sorry) but if push came to shove, I would hold the software in higher regard than the extra services - so risking my access to the software in return for the services concerns me. I know I'm looking on the bleak side - as it shouldn't be a risk, and it'd be great if I could be completely sure that I could afford the service renewal year in, year out - but just in case I can't, it would worry me to move.

From another slightly pessimistic point of view, what if I don't get on with the service? In that scenario, I will have given up my already-paid-for updates to the software for a few months with a service that I would no longer use.

I will think on, but those are my knee-jerk concerns. :)

Well, there you've stated it. The older license type has "added value" which you are not willing to let it go. To be honest, you can't have everything. Your older license has other values while the current one has its another (and unproven) values.

Though I find that some people here are really overreacting to this. This sort of thing happens all the time with my cellular phone company and ISP.

[quote name='grippo' date='23 July 2009 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1248382092' post='1831969']
No, and I do appreciate that. I should've mentioned that in my post - I think everyone would have been more upset if there had been absolutely no avenue to move aside from purchasing a whole new licence!

I like the security that my perpetual gives me. I know that's kind of ironic as I bought a perpetual instead of a yearly licence and IPS could've folded a year in and I'd have lost money (but thankfully, that didn't happen!), but I like the fact that I can log in at any time, no matter what my current financial state is (which is currently dire - thanks recession) and I am always able to upgrade my software so that my board is as secure as it can possibly be.

I understand that the spam service is a subscription type service, so once your support ended, so would the service? So I understand that if my financial situation decreased further and I was unable to renew the service, it would leave me open to being unprotected by the service - but I do see the spam service as an added benefit and therefore, not quite as important as having access to the latest software.

I'm not sure I'm saying it clearly (I've had a very long day, sorry) but if push came to shove, I would hold the software in higher regard than the extra services - so risking my access to the software in return for the services concerns me. I know I'm looking on the bleak side - as it shouldn't be a risk, and it'd be great if I could be completely sure that I could afford the service renewal year in, year out - but just in case I can't, it would worry me to move.

From another slightly pessimistic point of view, what if I don't get on with the service? In that scenario, I will have given up my already-paid-for updates to the software for a few months with a service that I would no longer use.

I will think on, but those are my knee-jerk concerns. :)

While I can certainly appreciate that (we all want the best deal we can have) - can you not also appreciate our point?
I mean, we stopped offering the perpetual licenses 3 years ago, and the lifetime license a few years before that. If you want to hold on to the security that they provide, then that's all well and good; but do you really think it's reasonable to demand that we make special arrangements to accommodate that, beyond offering you a trade for a current license?

[quote name='sparc' date='23 July 2009 - 01:34 PM' timestamp='1248370460' post='1831788']
if you re-read the thread there are a number of people including myself who WANT to be charged extra for those "future services" including the spam system.

I wouldn't exactly say that we WANT to be charged extra. More like, willing to pay a little extra.

[quote name='Kotonoha' date='23 July 2009 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1248376900' post='1831886']
That's no fun, you should make it so if nulled boards try to use the service they'll blow up.

(+) for you on that. Of course, I think that the nulled boards should be made to think that the service is working for them, when in fact it's reporting back information like email addresses of all the members, it's board address, etc, so that IPS can crack down on it.

[quote name='Îœark' date='23 July 2009 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1248378570' post='1831917']
Ah, the yearly license was not the Standard license.
We did away with the yearly license in 2006 - although, if you had an active license at the time, we gave you a free Standard license, because, despite what people seem to think: we're actually quite nice :)

Again I ask, I have a license that is labeled as Yearly (with an expired invoice of $69.95).. Can that be converted to the current Standard license? :D

[quote name='Nimdock' date='23 July 2009 - 03:51 PM' timestamp='1248378684' post='1831921']
Come on people let's give it a rest. We have been acknowledged. Let's wait and see what happens.

Definitely.

[quote name='Îœark' date='23 July 2009 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1248380965' post='1831956']

I'd think $20/year (for those who enroll early, $30/year for those who don't) would be a fair price. For Perp, it would be the same as paying $60/year, which is $10/year more than a standard license owner would pay, but the extra $10/year would be fair IMO since they could discontinue the service and then not pay $30/year for renewal but still always have access to download the latest IP.Board. So it'd be like paying for the perk of keeping the perp license. $30/year for lifetime would seem fair to me (and I have a lifetime license) as it would help cover the cost of the services while not paying for an IPB license renewal/support that I obviously wouldn't have.

Again though, $20/year as a early signup offering (help rake in more suckers subscribers up front and be a perk to joining early, then upping the price for those that sign up later on.

[quote name='Richard' date='23 July 2009 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1248381600' post='1831961']
If they decide that this service doesn't meet their needs, then they can't revert back to a perpetual or lifetime license and will be stuck with the $50/year fee.

[quote name='Luke' date='23 July 2009 - 04:45 PM' timestamp='1248381906' post='1831965']
I can stop paying for the service and still have lifetime support, upgrades, and access to the resource site (a "service" btw).

(+) Excellent point from both of you.

I do understand offering it free to those with active standard/business licenses, as they are a source of continuous income and it's a reasonable amount of revenue per license. So I'm not upset about that. My whole point all along has been wanting to get it while on Lifetime and also not wanting to be considered a non +Active Customer, despite the fact that even if I never renew anything again, I'll always be an +Active Customer because of the lifetime license. Wording can mean a lot.

Now, let's wait to see what is decided. IPS listened, which was the goal of voicing the concerns.

I hold several different licenses on my account with a few being inactive right now. just cant afford the renewal cost

I currently have 1 lifetime license and 3 perpetual licenses.

I use my lifetime for my main site as its the one i would need the support on the most.

now for us financially challenged members sitting here, I enjoy the benefit of my lifetime license as I have access to all upgrades and support for free.

and then this announcement comes for this wonderful new service. Im thinking cool just what we need. Then I come in here and see this 10 page topic going on about how my license might be excluded. I really feel left out.

Hope something can be done to make it fair for everyone.

I dont mind paying a yearly fee, but this 6 month option hurts not everybody can afford or has income throughout the year.

Hope IPS can work something out for us license holders that have these legacy versions and have been an active customer for years.

makes no sense for me to take my lifetime license and convert it so a Standard license that in 6 months when i can afford to renew do so then 6 months after that im screwed because i cant pay the renewal fee.

I dont think anybody would be willing to convert the lifetime license to do that.

my other question for us Multi-license holders is if you go to a pay option for this service. are we gonna have to pay the fee for every forum we want to use it on? that could get a bit expensive for some of us if so.

[quote name='Îœark' date='23 July 2009 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1248383526' post='1831980']
While I can certainly appreciate that (we all want the best deal we can have) - can you not also appreciate our point?
I mean, we stopped offering the perpetual licenses 3 years ago, and the lifetime license a few years before that. If you want to hold on to the security that they provide, then that's all well and good; but do you really think it's reasonable to demand that we make special arrangements to accommodate that, beyond offering you a trade for a current license?

Thats the point ive been trying to make Mark - i mean us standard license holders paid full price for the board and continue our support or lose access to upgrades/support if we dont pay every six months, but you guys are demanding lifetime upgrades plus extras yet cost you no further unless the odd one or two of you is willing to pay - yet we have to pay every 6 months just to keep our software current?

I believe that part of the concerns stem from this statement:

To further our continuing efforts to not only enhance the products we offer but also the services around those products: this service will be offered at no additional charge to those with an active support and service license for IP.Board and for IPS hosting customers!

To me, that says those who are Perpetual License holders and are +Active Customers qualify for this new service. At least, that's how it comes across to me.

I purchased the Perpetual License as it was the best one available at the time for me. I wouldn't have to worry about staying on top of updates and fees. However, ever since I made my purchase I have opted-in for paying for the $30/year fee for support/etc. Even though I've rarely needed support (three tickets in the three or so years I've had it, two being with IP.Board 3's release) I felt it was the right thing to do by paying the recurring fee. The reason I say this is that it shows I'm an active customer who is continuing to show support for IPS. Sure, paying is optional for support with this license (if you want support) but I also believe it shows appreciation for the products IPS distributes. I believe that if a product is truly of outstanding quality and dependability, then a person should have no issues showing support to the developers financially.

A bit long winded but I hope I'm getting my point across. :P

Pricing

[quote name='riven3d' date='23 July 2009 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1248384599' post='1831991']

my other question for us Multi-license holders is if you go to a pay option for this service. are we gonna have to pay the fee for every forum we want to use it on? that could get a bit expensive for some of us if so.

Personally, Yes I would imagine this would be the case. Each license would need its own SPAM ID number in order to communicate with the server otherwise anyone could post their SPAM ID and a pirated version would then be able to use the spam server.

[quote name='Tarun' date='23 July 2009 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1248385043' post='1832003']
I believe that part of the concerns stem from this statement:

To further our continuing efforts to not only enhance the products we offer but also the services around those products: this service will be offered at no additional charge to those with an active support and service license for IP.Board and for IPS hosting customers!

To me, that says those who are Perpetual License holders and are +Active Customers qualify for this new service. At least, that's how it comes across to me.

I think that is what most people are coming from, and that is why alot of people seem to think IPS is trying to get people on to the new license format. Because technically, perpetual users do have an active support license.

[quote name='Arctic Monkeys UK.com' date='23 July 2009 - 05:35 PM' timestamp='1248384933' post='1832001']
Thats the point ive been trying to make Mark - i mean us standard license holders paid full price for the board and continue our support or lose access to upgrades/support if we dont pay every six months, but you guys are demanding lifetime upgrades plus extras yet cost you no further unless the odd one or two of you is willing to pay - yet we have to pay every 6 months just to keep our software current?

I have only talked about perpetual because that's the kind of license I own... That is why I said that I guessed maybe for lifetimers would/could be different. Perpetual license holders do continue to pay IPS for support. We do not get it for free.

And I did state that I think most of us perpetuals (who actually want the service) are willing to pay the difference ($20 more a year) so that you guys that renew every 6 months don't think it is unfair to you.

[quote name='Îœark' date='23 July 2009 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1248383526' post='1831980']

What I don't understand is why you're so against selling us things - and this is why I feel that you're trying to prise my licence out of my hands, which is in effect, what you're doing. There must be some sort of alternative that you could offer that would increase a revenue stream for you? I mean, at the moment, I'm sitting here and there's no way I'm giving up my perpetual. I appreciate the fact that you've responded to me, but the way you're selling the services reinforces the feelings that I've had for a long time - that we're not valued as customers and that we're actually a pain that you'd rather get rid of (which again, let me stress, isn't *our* fault. We bought what you offered).

I'm not massively au fait with the standard licence, but it's $50 dollars to renew per year, whilst the perpetual is $30? Would it not help revenue if you charged us for the service? From my point of view, this is how it stands:

1) Lifetime + perpetual licence owners move to the standard licence = money for IPS.

2) Lifetime + perpetual licence owners don't move and just sit about grumbling all day = no money for IPS + potential bad press (as what happened with vB).

3) Lifetime + perpetual licence owners stop using the software and move to another company = no money for IPS + potential bad press. (I know IPS don't support the sale of licences and I don't know the full ins and outs of that, but maybe people would then sell their licences which actually results in a loss of a sale for IPS.)

Why not sell us something instead of excluding us? As I've said, we're a captive market - and we've supported you in the past, so it makes sense that we're probably happy to support you in the future and/or that we're going to have a keen interest in what you're up to next. We're not evil people trying to disrupt your company. On the contrary, I want IPS to go on to bigger and better things.

Please don't get me wrong - I really love IPS's products, but I could sit here and get upset about the fact that I renewed my support and yet still can't upgrade because you've not released the subscription manager (so my support is ticking away the days whilst I wait) but you have spent time developing an alternative product that I can't even buy. (I'm really not looking for an argument...I know Matt's been working on it and I know people were hammering on at you guys to set a release date and to get the software out.) ...but maybe you can see my point. We're all customers - why not sell to us?

@ Arctic Monkeys UK.
We got those benefits because we were early adopters. We showed faith in a company that could've disappeared off the market after a couple of months (and when lots of people were refusing to stick with Invision because it had gone paid) - in which case, we'd have paid a very hefty price for the software. This isn't a war between us as customers and I'm sorry that you feel that somehow I'm screwing you over by having a licence where I've already paid for my upgrades. Maybe the flip side is that if we hadn't bought more expensive lifetime and perpetual licences, IPS wouldn't have been able to build its software to the level that it's at now in the time that it's managed to do so. There's also the case that a lot of the lifetime and perpetual licence holders are the ones who modded in the early days, and showed everyone exactly what they could do with forum software, which in turn spurred IPS on to make their product even better. You're reaping the benefit of that in several ways.

@ Tarun
I have to admit, that's how I read it at first, because I've got active support and access to releases.

[quote name='Îœark' date='23 July 2009 - 05:12 PM' timestamp='1248383526' post='1831980']

I think all they are asking is the option to purchase access to the service. I don't think any of us have asked for it to be free. At least most of us have not demanded that.

We purchased our lifetimes and perpetuals because we saw the ROI was very reasonable and it provided IPS with capitol at that time all while gambling IPS would still be in business in three years before we would realize any return. The regular licenses at that time, if I remember correctly, were $65 and lifetime were $199. It also pretty much locked us into staying with your company for many years and in return many have purchased the add on components.

In this case I just wish for the ability to purchase access to new services without giving up my benefits of the original investment and gamble I made in your company.

@ Arctic Monkeys UK. We got those benefits because we were early adopters. We showed faith in a company that could've disappeared off the market after a couple of months (and when lots of people were refusing to stick with Invision because it had gone paid) - in which case, we'd have paid a very hefty price for the software. This isn't a war between us as customers and I'm sorry that you feel that somehow I'm screwing you over by having a licence where I've already paid for my upgrades. Maybe the flip side is that if we hadn't bought more expensive lifetime and perpetual licences, IPS wouldn't have been able to build its software to the level that it's at now in the time that it's managed to do so. There's also the case that a lot of the lifetime and perpetual licence holders are the ones who modded in the early days, and showed everyone exactly what they could do with forum software, which in turn spurred IPS on to make their product even better. You're reaping the benefit of that in several ways.

You havent paid more tho?

You arent continuing to pay anything if it wasnt for us maybe IPS might still not be running?

Its all ifs and buts but really i would think if you wanted to support IPS you should be willing to input like we do?(Standard license holders) I mean you dont see us complaining that we have to still pay fees every x amount of time etc! (well till now :P) )

[quote name='riven3d' date='23 July 2009 - 10:51 PM' timestamp='1248385873' post='1832017']
this page brings back some memories

http://web.archive.o...om/?whyregister

according to this page back when lifetime licenses were actively sold for a cheap price of $149

support was a service :ph34r:

Indeed, and we have provided that service and continue to do so as per the times of the advertised license :thumbsup:

Note that on that page it does not mention a spam monitoring service ;)

[quote name='Arctic Monkeys UK.com' date='23 July 2009 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1248386078' post='1832024']
You havent paid more tho?
I'm not quite sure what you're saying. :unsure:
[quote name='Arctic Monkeys UK.com' date='23 July 2009 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1248386078' post='1832024']You arent continuing to pay anything
I have a perpetual so if I wish to have support, I have to pay. As my account shows, my support is currently active - so you're incorrect. I have paid - and if I want support when this expires, I will have to pay again. :)

Archived