IPB 3.0 Chatroom & IM Capability?

Rod.

Would be really nice if there was a way to incorporate a chatroom into v3. I'm also interested in offering my members a way to establish a live IM session (outside of the chatroom), instead of always having to PM each other. For instance, they would click "IM" on their profile, and it would wait up to 3 min for the other party to accept.

Even if these two features were considered add-ons, I would definitely pay for them.

Please consider it...

[quote name='Rod.' post='1720160' date='May 3 2008, 12:12 AM']Would be really nice if there was a way to incorporate a chatroom into v3. I'm also interested in offering my members a way to establish a live IM session (outside of the chatroom), instead of always having to PM each other. For instance, they would click "IM" on their profile, and it would wait up to 3 min for the other party to accept.

Even if these two features were considered add-ons, I would definitely pay for them.

Please consider it...

+1

[quote name='wxtracker93' post='1720180' date='May 3 2008, 01:08 AM']For a chatroom, there are options including the popular Flashchat, as well as Parachat and AddonChat.

I use flashchat right now, but sure would be nice to have something that Invision created. Would rather give them the money, as I know it'll work and be properly programmed with security in mind. Doesn't have to be part of v3, I would definitely pay extra for it. IMO it would be more useful than a blog.

[quote name='Rod.' post='1720185' date='May 3 2008, 02:12 AM']but sure would be nice to have something that Invision created. Would rather give them the money, as I know it'll work and be properly programmed with security in mind.
+1

Trust me, ipb can not do live chats. The best it can do is what it already does, letting people post messages and then read them.
Php is not live. Php is restricted by the limitations of http. The biggest limitation is that http is request based. A http server can not send data to the client that the client didn't ask for.

[quote name='henke37' post='1720226' date='May 3 2008, 10:58 AM']Trust me, ipb can not do live chats. The best it can do is what it already does, letting people post messages and then read them.
Php is not live. Php is restricted by the limitations of http. The biggest limitation is that http is request based. A http server can not send data to the client that the client didn't ask for.

I disagree. There are plenty of PHP based live chat options out there, and many of them work great. I'm sure the programmers at Invision are more than capable of doing this. Again, it can be an add-on, just like the gallery, blog, etc.

I think most of them uses Java Applets or something similar for the instant actions.

I disagree. There are plenty of PHP based live chat options out there, and many of them work great. I'm sure the programmers at Invision are more than capable of doing this. Again, it can be an add-on, just like the gallery, blog, etc.

Rergadless if this is added or not, like with Facebook when your signed into AIM it puts the green dot text to your profile, that would be nice in IPB if a different image showed up or online or something.

[quote name='.Ryan' post='1720342' date='May 3 2008, 09:13 PM']Rergadless if this is added or not, like with Facebook when your signed into AIM it puts the green dot text to your profile, that would be nice in IPB if a different image showed up or online or something.

++1 A chat/im system like facebook would be awesome.

[quote name='fanta' post='1720410' date='May 4 2008, 01:14 AM']how about expanding/improving the intergration with chat services that already make use of ipb database - such as parachat
+1 or a built IRC program such as IBIRC

[quote name='Lindsey_' post='1720411' date='May 4 2008, 01:16 AM']+1 or a built IRC program such as IBIRC

IBIRC aka AllInIRC is pretty simple for v3.0.0 but soon as that is "gold" aka FINAL Then after 2 other major projects on N.E.D. are finalized ALLInIRC v3.1.0 will be totally re-vamped some features

[*]active users that are in chat listed on main forum index [*]better AdminCP management page [*]usage of IP.Board's API system [*]usage of IPS Installer Framework

here is a full road map

v3.1.0 Roadmap:

[*]better floating of chat windows using Ajax

that is a small list

[*] addition of components_acp file [*]addition of settings_plugin file [*] make it so all types of characters can be used in user name [*] find a happy medium for certain IRC servers only allowing lowercase names or uppercase only [*]better floating of chat windows using Ajax [*]active users that are in chat listed on main forum index [*]better AdminCP management page [*]usage of IP.Board's API system [*]usage of IPS Installer Framework [*] MORE TO COME

Completed
In Progress
Not Started
Flagged for Next Version

ETA of First BETA: Mid to Late 2008

If You want to see any new features please use my bug tracker or if you have a bug click link below all I ask is in the bug tracker please use prefix [SUGG] for suggestions

http://forums.neweradev.com/index.php?auto...p;showproject=5

[*] New Installer

Color Key:

[quote name='Rod.' post='1720160' date='May 3 2008, 12:12 AM']Would be really nice if there was a way to incorporate a chatroom into v3. I'm also interested in offering my members a way to establish a live IM session (outside of the chatroom), instead of always having to PM each other. For instance, they would click "IM" on their profile, and it would wait up to 3 min for the other party to accept.

Please consider it...

[quote name='aljareh' post='1720173' date='May 3 2008, 12:37 AM']+1

I totally agree!!! I have been hoping for something like this for a long time now. It is an additional component I would be more than willing to pay for! This is great for sites running business support and for general discussion communities. This is one you certainly can't go wrong with!

[quote name='bfarber' post='1720725' date='May 5 2008, 10:43 AM']Uh, everyone....

Do you not realize we already offer support for 2 different third party chat clients (and I've seen freely available modifications that support FlashChat as well)?

I wouldn't use a chat system built in, besides a shoutbox. My point was integration into the profile where say I am signed into AIM, maybe an image pops up saying I am online or something. Same thing in the profile view, it should have an online image, or when someone is viewing a topic, like my posted comment above maybe a image says I am online. Maybe its added and I fail to see it :P

Edit: ok so we have that little orange guy that says we are online, what about in the profile?

[quote name='bfarber' post='1720725' date='May 5 2008, 02:43 PM']Uh, everyone....

Do you not realize we already offer support for 2 different third party chat clients (and I've seen freely available modifications that support FlashChat as well)?

Yes, but they are no where as good as Real Chat! :P
http://www.realchat.com/

To see this incorporated with IPB or to see IPS create something much like it to purchase as an additional IPS component would be a dream come true!

I agree with groups. Not sure about the others. Flashchat is great and I've asked for a built in IM system for a while, but it seemed like the thoughts were that it would be toor esource intensive and not enough payoff. I personally think it would be cool, but judging by how staff reacted... I don't think they will do it. Although they also didn't like the idea of a rep system, so who knows.

As far as the icons when people are on different IM services... some of that can be done now as bb codes, but would be nice to be built in. Also Michael said in the past there was some kind of IM functionality in IPB. I think buttons you clicked to IM people? But for some reason IPS stopped it?

Archived