IPB 3.0 Chatroom & IM Capability?

Rod.

[quote name='BASHERS33' post='1720823' date='May 5 2008, 03:17 PM']I agree with groups. Not sure about the others. Flashchat is great and I've asked for a built in IM system for a while, but it seemed like the thoughts were that it would be toor esource intensive and not enough payoff. I personally think it would be cool, but judging by how staff reacted... I don't think they will do it. Although they also didn't like the idea of a rep system, so who knows.

As far as the icons when people are on different IM services... some of that can be done now as bb codes, but would be nice to be built in. Also Michael said in the past there was some kind of IM functionality in IPB. I think buttons you clicked to IM people? But for some reason IPS stopped it?

The thing you are thinking of that used to be in IPB was links using custom protocol handlers. I think it was something like

aim://screename?msg=something

or something to that effect, but as protocols and accessibility changed it was removed. They could be skinned back in relatively easily if you looked up the right urls.

Building in an ajax-based communication system is indeed quite resource intensive. We've seen the results first hand, and I have a feeling if we were to build something like that in we'd be overwhelmed with people reporting their server caught on fire.

It might be nice to have a built-in AJAX chatroom, aside from it being resource intensive, I'd also wonder how it would affect the participation in the forum. If you could message them in seconds, would people start messaging instead of replying to posts?

I don't think I'd like a built-in AJAX chat... but it would be nice if better chat software was available, I'm not fond of the 2 options available.

[quote name='Evanescense' post='1720748' date='May 6 2008, 01:27 AM']Yes, but they are no where as good as Real Chat! :P
http://www.realchat.com/

To see this incorporated with IPB or to see IPS create something much like it to purchase as an additional IPS component would be a dream come true!
Agreed! :) RealChat is very nice, tad expensive though. By the way, they do have an IPB integration pack, which creates a new component for it on your board.

Free plug-ins and integration instructions are available for phpBB, IP.Board, vBulletin and more!

Ouch that is a lot more expensive than flashchat to say the least. :)

Since my site is so inactive I may use the free version just t see if it has certain issues flashchat has. Although I see realchat says it requires you to have a dedicated server so if that ends up being true, then really there are many reasons to choose flashchat. At first glance I don't expect realchat to be better in any way other than possibly more trustworthy/secure.

Our board is very active, so having an IM system would help cut down on some of the useless posts and PM's that fill up the db.

It would have to be understood that if someone were to purchase the IM/Chat plugin, that it would be resource intensive. We would still be willing to purchase it, and even get a faster dedicated server. Our community is quite intense, as people use it to meet other members in their local areas. For us, it would make sense to buy it, and upgrade the server if necessary.

Thanks for your consideration...

I for one would not support something like this for the core. Way too server intensive.

IPB 3.0 will have a hooks system which will allow folks to create and install plugins a lot more easily. This would be better as a plugin.

[quote name='Dark55mage' post='1720927' date='May 5 2008, 09:14 PM']sounds like a great idea. Be really cool to IM via the board :D
I used to always request it here and Invisionize and in fact I thought about trying to have someone do a custom program for me to be able to use it because I always thought it would attract a lot more of a community.

Someone did try to make one, I believe, but apparently they never finished.

Now that I can program some (not nearly well enough for this though) I am trying to remember other ideas I had back then! I can't even think of things to make now that I can make some!

• 4 months later...

Chatrooms can be resource intensive, but if there were a plugin Invision sold which allowed users to IM each other (similar to how Facebook works), I'd be willing to pay for it, and I'm not talking $5 either. :) Sure hope an IM plugin is created, if IM is not going to be part of IB3. That would totally set you guys way ahead of the competition. :D Thanks for all of the hard work, really looking forward to IB3.

Why people want this is beyond me...

[quote name='bfarber' post='1720725' date='May 5 2008, 03:43 PM']Uh, everyone....

Do you not realize we already offer support for 2 different third party chat clients (and I've seen freely available modifications that support FlashChat as well)?

I think this sums up my thoughts nicely. <_<

[quote name='henke37' post='1753175' date='Sep 10 2008, 12:34 AM']I have a suggestion: get a real chat server. Http is not suitable for this kind of realtime communication.

Sure it is. Basic IM function can be accomplished; if it weren't possible or really was that much of a resource hog, Facebook wouldn't be using it. Just a suggestion guys, nothing else.

[quote name='henke37' post='1753175' date='Sep 10 2008, 03:34 AM']I have a suggestion: get a real chat server. Http is not suitable for this kind of realtime communication.

irc://server irc.invisionpower.com :D

But I agree http should never be used for that :)

[quote name='Rod.' post='1753353' date='Sep 10 2008, 03:59 PM']Sure it is. Basic IM function can be accomplished; if it weren't possible or really was that much of a resource hog, Facebook wouldn't be using it. Just a suggestion guys, nothing else.

They probably have a few dedicated servers :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Venom79' post='1768589' date='Oct 31 2008, 09:19 AM']Facebook earlier in the year just leased about 86,000 sq ft server space lol

Oh that's irrelevant. We should be able to add any feature someone dreams up and it should run on that Pentium 2 shared server user xyz is using that has 1 GB of RAM and 5 GB hard drive space, with 50 accounts on the box.

/end sarcasm

People don't consider these sorts of things you know. ;)

[quote name='bfarber' post='1768591' date='Oct 31 2008, 06:24 AM']Oh that's irrelevant. We should be able to add any feature someone dreams up and it should run on that Pentium 2 shared server user xyz is using that has 1 GB of RAM and 5 GB hard drive space, with 50 accounts on the box.

/end sarcasm

People don't consider these sorts of things you know. ;)

Or how about an Intel Celeron 1.1 GHz CPU computer with only 256 MB of SDRAM and a 20-40 GB disk? Been there, done that. Oh - don't EVEN get me started on the piece of sh*t 166 mhz CPU that I got started out on.

[quote name='Rod.' post='1720160' date='May 3 2008, 12:12 AM']Would be really nice if there was a way to incorporate a chatroom into v3. I'm also interested in offering my members a way to establish a live IM session (outside of the chatroom), instead of always having to PM each other. For instance, they would click "IM" on their profile, and it would wait up to 3 min for the other party to accept.

Even if these two features were considered add-ons, I would definitely pay for them.

Please consider it...

+10000000000

[quote name='bfarber' post='1720725' date='May 5 2008, 02:43 PM']Uh, everyone....

Do you not realize we already offer support for 2 different third party chat clients (and I've seen freely available modifications that support FlashChat as well)?

Both of them are both overpriced and cheap s**t

[quote name='bfarber' post='1720725' date='May 5 2008, 09:43 AM']Uh, everyone....

Forgive me for asking this, but which two are those?

(And I'd love to see a IPB-developed shoutbox/chatroom as well.)

Archived