IP.Nexus Video Preview: Discussion Topic

Guest Matt

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am assuming Nexus applications are currently similar to how IP.Board components run, you upload the files, and add it via ACP, and its done. It would 99% use normal ipsclass functions aswell, so probably yes :)

To install an app, you just upload it to the appliactions directory, Nexus will see it the next time you visit the application manager and give you the option to install it.

post-12-1190301546_thumb.png

I have a question.

I understand cPanel will be the first panel and then you mentioned Plesk, where will InterWorx Control Panel fit into the picture? Has there been any talk to add the InterWorx CP at all?

If not, what will it take to get it fast tracked?

Thanks.

I have a question.

I understand cPanel will be the first panel and then you mentioned Plesk, where will InterWorx Control Panel fit into the picture? Has there been any talk to add the InterWorx CP at all?

If not, what will it take to get it fast tracked?

Thanks.

It'll be mostly based on demand, if we see a lot of interest in Interworx, then we'll do that after Plesk, if we see more interest in a different control panel, then we'll do that one after Plesk. So we don't currently have a timeline of when each CP will be available, we'll just be adding them as we see interest for them.

To install an app, you just upload it to the appliactions directory, Nexus will see it the next time you visit the application manager and give you the option to install it.

post-12-1190301546_thumb.png

Hey that shows a few things done and others in Beta2..... :wub:

That means we are really really close to seeing this done before Christmas, possibly Thanksgiving based on how I see how Invision has done things in the past.

THIS indeed would be AWESOME!!!

Keep up the GREAT work guys!!

Hey that shows a few things done and others in Beta2..... :wub:

That means we are really really close to seeing this done before Christmas, possibly Thanksgiving based on how I see how Invision has done things in the past.

THIS indeed would be AWESOME!!!

Keep up the GREAT work guys!!

I wouldn't make any assumption based on the module version numbers, afterall, the software hasn't been through private beta testing yet. :)

What do you mean by "extra"? Everything in Nexus is an application, so I suppose from a top level view it would be the only extra you can add. Applications themselves are broken into smaller bits called modules. So you can add extra modules to default applications if you wanted.

Are modules things that will show up on the frontpage? If you have any knowledge with Joomla!, they uses components(pages, managment), modules(things to show on the website it self) and plugins(things to add extra features to the core).

So from what you explain, a application is a merge og component and plugin, and module is a thing to display the information on the website?

Am I wrong?

I'm really excited about this. Not sure why as I probably don't need a business management system for my own site, but its great to see that something like that exists in the first place -- I know there are other good CMSs as well as payment management systems, but I have a feeling like this is the first of its kind.

I'm guessing not, but is there any chance we could be given a rough price range? :P

would nexus be able to manage members subscriptons

for example i can keep address records and also members can log into a particular area... I know its similar to the subscription part of IPB but the IPB subscription is too lacking as I require addresses and membership numbers etc.

it would be similar to billing information.. so can we add fields into that billing information? Like fields for membership numbers and expiry dates?

thanks

would nexus be able to manage members subscriptons

for example i can keep address records and also members can log into a particular area... I know its similar to the subscription part of IPB but the IPB subscription is too lacking as I require addresses and membership numbers etc.

it would be similar to billing information.. so can we add fields into that billing information? Like fields for membership numbers and expiry dates?

thanks

It will not be a default feature in 1.0, but it will be added later. However, you can still do this on your own by using package events. Billing packages in Nexus have four events associated with them: Purchase, Approval, Renewal, and Cancel, you can attach custom code to each of these events to do anything you want. So you could create an approval event that automatically upgraded a forum account when the package was approved, it just takes a little PHP knowledge. For something like that to work the user would have to have the same e-mail address on both the forum and nexus, which would always be the case if you were using Converge.

It will not be a default feature in 1.0, but it will be added later. However, you can still do this on your own by using package events. Billing packages in Nexus have four events associated with them: Purchase, Approval, Renewal, and Cancel, you can attach custom code to each of these events to do anything you want. So you could create an approval event that automatically upgraded a forum account when the package was approved, it just takes a little PHP knowledge. For something like that to work the user would have to have the same e-mail address on both the forum and nexus, which would always be the case if you were using Converge.

Further to this, we intend to open up a lot more possibilities in the next release of IPB. For example, we could add API's that allow you to do common events, such as change a member's group, that are entirely accessible via (protected) urls. So your Nexus php code could be as simple as calling a specific url for your forum. :)

file_get_contents( "http://invisionpower.com/ipbrocks.php?do=upgradeAccount&memberGroup=4" );

//Upgrade account

I guess I'm still confused about what exactly the IP.Nexus core does?

You see, I was interested in Dynamic as a CMS solution. I don't have customers, so I'm not really in need of the core features of IP.Nexus, correct? And yet, in order to utilize the CMS features, I would have to purchase both IP.Nexus and the CMS application. Seems like kind of a waste of money. Or am I not the type of company IPS is targeting with this product?

If IP.Nexus' functionality is based all around adding applications, and you're planning on having a number of applications available at the time of launch, I'd suggest letting your customers choose one application that comes free with their purchase of IP.Nexus. That'd be nice.

I guess I'm still confused about what exactly the IP.Nexus core does?

You see, I was interested in Dynamic as a CMS solution. I don't have customers, so I'm not really in need of the core features of IP.Nexus, correct? And yet, in order to utilize the CMS features, I would have to purchase both IP.Nexus and the CMS application. Seems like kind of a waste of money. Or am I not the type of company IPS is targeting with this product?

If IP.Nexus' functionality is based all around adding applications, and you're planning on having a number of applications available at the time of launch, I'd suggest letting your customers choose one application that comes free with their purchase of IP.Nexus. That'd be nice.

The core is useful even if you just want to use the CMS. The core application is where you'll add static content pages, manage your settings, edit system templates such as the login screens, manage your staff editors, add your site menus and so on. The customer application is where you'll manage members that have registered on your site (all members are known as customers in IP.Nexus, whether or not you have the facility to purchase items), set up permissions for them (i.e. you can restrict who can vote on polls etc.) and so on :)

Looking into this further... obviously at the moment, quite a big thing with IPB is modifications/addons...

I am right in saying, Nexus will potentially become the focus to manage both backend and front end modifications (or applications/modules as you refer to them)... therefore IPB Modifications will eventually become a thing of the past on IPB?

For example... at the moment, the Links system created by Brandon is an IPB Mod (stating the obvious there), will this eventually become a Nexus Module (linking in with IPB member permissions etc)... therefore more and more developers will start converting their modifications to Nexus?

If this is the case I can see extremely good potential for future 3rd party developments... and keeping IPB to what it does best... a forum!

Jim

Jim, either you are confused, or I am confused at what you are saying :)

How could Brandons link system become a Nexus application? The link system is a modification for IP.Board, and not Nexus, so even if he created a application in nexus for it, it wouldnt have any effect on the forums.

And as previously stated, IPB will not become a Nexus application, so no modifications for IPB would become Nexus applications or modules, because it would have zero effect.

However, saying that, the 'plans' they have for IPB 3 may have similar things to the current nexus framework, they might allow IPB applications and modules in IPB3 which would function as a hook system, meaning you wouldnt have to edit files. That'd be cool.

@IPS Staff, about the comment about 'get your first application free', not 100% if free would be a good idea, but maybe a special offer for a week or something, like you did with the lifetime offer for IPB a couple of years back.

Archived