IP.Nexus Video Preview: Discussion Topic

Guest Matt

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's definitely too early to start deciding on firm prices, let alone special offers :)

your just lucky you dont accept sales in a physical location..... i could see the devastation of customers fighting one another as i type this! :lol:

there are some really nice features in that video. thats for sure.

i.e.

page notes for specific page (very useful to keep notes on specific custoemrs!!!) <--- very unique if you ask me..

this could turn out to be a great option for many people. (i was looking at e commerce software like 5 minutes ago...) but i will delay even thinking of setting up a web hosting site until i see this thing in action a little more!

this is one of those things. where il wait until i have grand kids to get this if i have to. (and im 19 lol)

really great job from the looks of things! im impressed! (although the video was very short :()

and

i just looked back and seen something about working along with cpanel? thats amazing!!! i love cpanel :wub:

any type of restrictions for the beta when it comes around?

like customer must have 2 licenses + in order to download or something else evil? :( or will everyone with an ipboard license get access :unsure:

Jim, either you are confused, or I am confused at what you are saying :)

How could Brandons link system become a Nexus application? The link system is a modification for IP.Board, and not Nexus, so even if he created a application in nexus for it, it wouldnt have any effect on the forums.

And as previously stated, IPB will not become a Nexus application, so no modifications for IPB would become Nexus applications or modules, because it would have zero effect.

However, saying that, the 'plans' they have for IPB 3 may have similar things to the current nexus framework, they might allow IPB applications and modules in IPB3 which would function as a hook system, meaning you wouldnt have to edit files. That'd be cool.

@IPS Staff, about the comment about 'get your first application free', not 100% if free would be a good idea, but maybe a special offer for a week or something, like you did with the lifetime offer for IPB a couple of years back.

I dont think I explained myself properly...

As I understand, Nexus is going to offer the ability for 3rd party developers to create modules/applications to addon to the Nexus system.

So that is similar to the way developers currently make 3rd party components/modules on to IPB.

Now, I'm wondering if the future of modifications/components will cease to be made for IPB, and instead re-wrote for Nexus as modules/applications... meaning no more modifications to IPB, keeping IPB to its primary role of a forum.

So, the front end of the website is the nexus (or cms module if you decide to buy it) then there would be a link to your forums but also a link to say a links system, registry, gallery, downloads, etc etc and they would all run seperately to your forum, but link in with its member group permissions.

maybe I'm looking into this a bit too much... :lol:

I dont think I explained myself properly...

As I understand, Nexus is going to offer the ability for 3rd party developers to create modules/applications to addon to the Nexus system.

So that is similar to the way developers currently make 3rd party components/modules on to IPB.

Now, I'm wondering if the future of modifications/components will cease to be made for IPB, and instead re-wrote for Nexus as modules/applications... meaning no more modifications to IPB, keeping IPB to its primary role of a forum.

So, the front end of the website is the nexus (or cms module if you decide to buy it) then there would be a link to your forums but also a link to say a links system, registry, gallery, downloads, etc etc and they would all run seperately to your forum, but link in with its member group permissions.

maybe I'm looking into this a bit too much... :lol:

IP.Nexus and IP.Board are separate product lines, so IP.Board will continue to have it's own components and modifications.

Yes, there will be a line (even if it becomes finer down the road) between our "Community" line and our "Business" line. A gallery, for example, more closely ties in with a Community than a Business Suite.

If the need/market is there, we are always watching trends, but I don't think the majority of our users will "jump ship" on IPB and start developing addons for Nexus. Of course, the capability to do so will be present however.

I will say I am VERY impressed and pleased that the two product lines (Nexus and Dynamic) are merging. From what I have seen this looks like an EXCELLENT product and am very anxious to get my hands on it. I am kind of tired of the clunkyness of other CMS and the integration with IPB. This looks like a PERFECT solution for me.

Even better, as I understand it. You can actually set the parameter for "setlocale" so that dates can show the proper names too. The language system in Nexus is more robust than IPB's.

wow... you really have outdone yourself...

does anyone have any idea, if beta will be upgradeable to full product, when they release it?

wow... you really have outdone yourself...

does anyone have any idea, if beta will be upgradeable to full product, when they release it?

It's very difficult to say at this stage, because that depends on whether there's any major SQL changes between now and release. If there isn't, though, it should be possible, though it's unlikely to be a supported upgrade path.

Just wanted to make sure some people understand this as there seems to be confusion... I'm going to try to make this as simple as possible....

Before there was:

IP.Dynamic: Content Management System
IP.Nexus: Billing/Customer Management System

They had their own core, and shared some classes back and forth... but they were both pretty much independent. As they were before, they were discontinued.

A new product was made.... Because this is a bit confusing, lets call it IP.Core. IP.Core is a base structure for applications/modules... The ideas from the old Nexus and Dynamic were made into IP.Core...

Now know that there is no such thing as the old Dynamic and Nexus.... The new "IP.Core" is not literally called "IP.Core".... They decided to call it "IP.Nexus"..

The Nexus as it is NOW is not the same as the old Nexus. The new Nexus is a core system for a Content Management system, Billing System, Hosting System, Customer System, etc...

So if you wanted a Content Management system and not a Billing system it's not that you have to buy two things.... I mean you probably have to buy the core system and content management application separately, but it wouldn't be any more expensive than what the old IP.Dynamic would have been. The difference is all these applications can tie in together more tightly, and you can get a Core system without applications....

For me getting a core system by itself and no applications is an awesome concept. It gives me something solid to build unique things onto, and if I ever needed a billing system or a simple way to manage pages I can just buy these applications rather than coding something from scratch... I'm very excited to see these changes.

Hopefully I didn't further confuse people...

You don't know that for sure though. No pricing has been released.

We don't know this yet... But either way if you wanted a CMS before, it isn't going to be any more expensive if you had to buy two separate parts than if you bought the old IPD as a whole. It's not like IPS is trying to get mooch more money out of you or anything.... They just decided to make their products more modular, which I think is outstanding.

Archived