IP.Nexus Video Preview: Discussion Topic

Guest Matt

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Customer management is just for managing customers (and website members - they're the same thing in IP.Nexus). That enables you to restrict areas based on group, change account details for customers, send e-mails etc. That's included with IP.Nexus as standard. Customer Support is a different module and allows customers to submit tickets, staff to respond to them and so on.

It would be really cool if you could install IPB as an application of nexus and use one database.... That way you only have one AdminCP to login too.... But at the same time I guess it could run independently.

Would also me awesome if Nexus was independent from cPanel... I don't think it would be really that hard to accomplish. Most of cPanel is pretty much scripts that interact with third party applications anyway (through bash scripts).

There's no reason that couldn't be created as a Nexus application by IPS or a third party. I'd imagine that it would be hard to get take-up from hosting companies for Nexus if IPS didn't allow cPanel as an option though.

Sorry, I'm probably being a bit dense, but I'd just like to go back over a couple of things that have already been mentioned re IP.Board and IP.Nexus:

If I wanted to use IP.Nexus (with the application that used to be IP.Dynamic) to provide articles using the content management features, and to continue to use an existing forum's membership (ip.board) database, and control access to the article pages by restricting it to certain member groups in the IP.Board database, how would I go about that? I'd need to introduce Converge? Or is there another way?

I think it would be cool if Nexus could be it's own server control panel where you didn't need cPanel at all.

Sorry, I'm probably being a bit dense, but I'd just like to go back over a couple of things that have already been mentioned re IP.Board and IP.Nexus:

If I wanted to use IP.Nexus (with the application that used to be IP.Dynamic) to provide articles using the content management features, and to continue to use an existing forum's membership (ip.board) database, and control access to the article pages by restricting it to certain member groups in the IP.Board database, how would I go about that? I'd need to introduce Converge? Or is there another way?

You would still need to use converge between IPB <-> Nexus as they are still separate applications. However if for some reason they integrated IPB as a Nexus application, you wouldn't need Converge (old nexus and dynamic were combined into the new nexus).

I'm sure that'll be very easy. :unsure:

It's actually not as hard as you may think it is. All cPanel really does is manage a bunch of third party applications and has a ton of batch scripts to install/update them. Sure it would take development time, but it's not impossible. Of course it would make sense now to let it hook into cPanel like it is now so we can get it out, and then possibly make it independent later :).

I know with cPanel it costs like $25 per month to license it on a single server.

It's actually not as hard as you may think it is. All cPanel really does is manage a bunch of third party applications and has a ton of batch scripts to install/update them. Sure it would take development time, but it's not impossible. Of course it would make sense now to let it hook into cPanel like it is now so we can get it out, and then possibly make it independent later :).

I know with cPanel it costs like $25 per month to license it on a single server.

Have you considered that's possibly because it's an extremely complicated piece of software? It's been in development for a long time, a lot of hosts use it. For starters, it's not just a bunch of shell scripts on a server, and also you'd need an awful lot of knowledge into server management before something of that complexity could be achieved. I'm not saying Matt, Josh, et al don't have that ability, but it's not honestly worth all the development time it will take for very very little reward, before even considering the fact that they'd have to convince a lot of hosting companies it was a better solution than CPanel before it could be used, I'd imagine.

Don't quote me on this, but I don't believe a copyright on the public-facing website will be required (although there is a notice on the default website). In fact, the only copyright message 'hard-coded' in the software is at the bottom of the admin-side pages, so I'm not sure a copyright removal would garner much interest.

To do credit card processing you need a merchant account - a popular service is authorize.net, but there's others, and IP.Nexus uses that. IP.Nexus also supports PayPal and PayPalPro as an alternative.

Authorize.Net does not sell to end users unless you are a high profile company. You can become a reseller though.

I used MerchantPlus when designing a website for a local company here in my town since they offered Ubersmith for free.
http://www.merchantplus.com/

But first before applying for a Merchant Account need to get PCI Compliance. You get this for free because if you use cPanel for your website backend ScanAlert is doing a special.

https://www.scanalert.com/SignUp.sa?oc=4377

It is free for a year and $150 for every other year.

• Management

Im very interested, mainly in the billing and hosting modules.. Also I noticed "IPB Licenses" in the demo.. Could this mean you will be offering a reseller discount to hosts/users of nexus for ip.board licenses??

Actually that's a custom module we wrote to keep track of customer licenses. It of course won't be in the distribution :)

What are you, a combination rocket scientist and feature creep technician!? :P

It's not actually as easy as you think it is. ;)

Have you considered that's possibly because it's an extremely complicated piece of software? It's been in development for a long time, a

lot

of hosts use it. For starters, it's not just a bunch of shell scripts on a server, and also you'd need an awful lot of knowledge into server management before something of that complexity could be achieved. I'm not saying Matt, Josh, et al don't have that ability, but it's not honestly worth all the development time it will take for very very little reward, before even considering the fact that they'd have to convince a lot of hosting companies it was a better solution than CPanel before it could be used, I'd imagine.

Of course cPanel is complex. It has every possible conceivable feature in it. In some ways it has too much stuff. 3-4 logging programs that log pretty much the same thing, etc...

The basic things that I would like to see IP.Nexus do, independent from cPanel, is install and manage Apache, PHP, an FTP server, MySQL, and a DNS server. You can install these things separately without cPanel and manage each one individually... It wouldn't be too difficult, or impossible, for IP.Nexus to do these things, with the help of some bash scripts.

If it could do this, all it would have to be is simple... Over time it could be added onto.

And despite what you guys think... it doesn't take a Genius... But Matt, Josh, and Brandon are really smart.

They can do it if they wanted to :P

• Management

We have no plans to make IP.Nexus a standalone 'server' like CPanel regardless if our combined knowledge could or could-not accomplish it.

It confused me though because IPD being now a "Bussiness management solution with CMS plugin application" doesn't sound very compelling and a bit muddled, for someone who's looking for just a world class CMS application. It makes it sound like the CMS module is more of an afterthought, rather than the rich, focused product that it probably is.

That's just going on my loose verbiage so far. We'll use much fancier words in any website copy.

Archived